By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Legend of Zelda BOTW Sequel delayed to Spring 2023

Straight from the horses mouth.

It wouldn't be a mainline Zelda game without at least one delay, makes me nostalgic for delays gone by.

Last edited by ShadowLink93 - on 29 March 2022

Around the Network

Nice, exactly 6 years after the first one right ?

This makes me more concerned with when the Switch 2 Zelda will be released lol, 2035 here we go

I'm surprised development is taking so long, considering they appear to be using the first game as a base. I think this delay actually makes the gap longer than between skyward sword and BOTW.

pikashoe said:

I'm surprised development is taking so long, considering they appear to be using the first game as a base. I think this delay actually makes the gap longer than between skyward sword and BOTW.

You're right. That was about a 5 and a half year difference.

Makes you wonder what Nintendo has cooking up for the sequel given they're taking the OoT and Majora's Mask approach to development using the same assets and engine. 

Eldin Ring GotY confirmed. The only other one that could pull it off is God of War, but that may or may not be delayed as well and I personally have my money on Eldin Ring anyway.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network
Shiken said:

Eldin Ring GotY confirmed. The only other one that could pull it off is God of War, but that may or may not be delayed as well and I personally have my money on Eldin Ring anyway.

There should've been another game this year, something with Allowed East or so. But probably my memory is wrong on this or that game I mean was cancelled.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Was quite likely the minute they said it was aiming/targeting 2022. The year is overly stacked so all good with me. I feel like it's going to going head to head with FF16

The fact that development will be 5 years despite it being a direct sequel built of the same assets, makes me think they must be doing some wildly ambitious gameplay stuff.

But once again, I'm thinking I'll wait to play this on a Switch 2 which could be announced within months of this coming out.

gtotheunit91 said:
pikashoe said:

You're right. That was about a 5 and a half year difference.

Makes you wonder what Nintendo has cooking up for the sequel given they're taking the OoT and Majora's Mask approach to development using the same assets and engine. 

I have a feeling that the game is ready but they needed something big to push 2023 sales and holiday 2022 will be just fine without it, they don't want hardware sales to collapse after 6 years.

pikashoe said:

That may be what they say, but that isn't necessarily what is happening. Botw 2 uses the same engine as 1, uses the same map (with additions). Absolutely no way it takes that long to make, in my book.

Nintendo really likes to focus on strategically releasing their big hitters. Launching during the holiday of a year when Switch devices are already going to sell out didn't make much sense. Spring is usually the dead period for console hardware sales, so this will really push their selling capabilities during next Spring. They already have a new Pokemon generation launching this holiday. Spring needs Zelda.