By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Could Learn a Lot from Microsoft

Microsoft needed Game Pass because they were losing. Them and Sony always do the same thing but Playstation is way more popular. Without Game Pass Xbox would only get less relevant over time.
Nintendo doesn't need that. They have their retro game subscription and the best lineup of exclusive games in the business. They don't need Game Pass. Nintendo just needs to keep building out their retro games subscription, hopefully occasionally add new free games like Tetris 99 and Pacman 99, and keep doing what they are great at.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
Slownenberg said:

Microsoft needed Game Pass because they were losing. Them and Sony always do the same thing but Playstation is way more popular. Without Game Pass Xbox would only get less relevant over time.
Nintendo doesn't need that. They have their retro game subscription and the best lineup of exclusive games in the business. They don't need Game Pass. Nintendo just needs to keep building out their retro games subscription, hopefully occasionally add new free games like Tetris 99 and Pacman 99, and keep doing what they are great at.

Microsoft and Sony do not always do the same thing, but Nintendo definitely doesn't have much to learn from the former. They're doing fine on their own. Hell, Sony is doing fine on theirs. All are doing fine with what the paths they're choosing to take. 

That kind of talk doesn't fuel the never ending war. Do you want these forums to thrive or not?

This might vary between people, one of the problems with Game Pass is that with so much content available, you think it will be there forever and you don't concentrate on the games. In the end you will try more games, although as a taste round you would never finish them as you quickly jump to the next title to try a new experience.

Additionally Game Pass third party games don't last forever as the license runs out and the titles normally leave the service after a year.

Last edited by TomaTito - on 28 March 2022

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

TomaTito said:

This might vary between people, one of the problems with Game Pass is that with so much content available. You think it will be there forever and you don't concentrate on the games. In the end you will try more games, although as a taste round you would never finish them as you quickly jump to the next title to try a new experience.

Additionally Game Pass third party games don't last forever as the license runs out and the titles normally leave the service after a year.

Than you buy the game using GamePass discount. Than you own it forever.

Azzanation said:
TomaTito said:

This might vary between people, one of the problems with Game Pass is that with so much content available. You think it will be there forever and you don't concentrate on the games. In the end you will try more games, although as a taste round you would never finish them as you quickly jump to the next title to try a new experience.

Than you buy the game using GamePass discount. Than you own it forever.

True, that is also a possibility. Game Pass does help expand peoples horizon and try out new things that they wouldn't have due to the price barrier.

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Around the Network

I'd rather they didn't. I'm fine with how Xbox is operating now, but that's because they occupy their own space. What I want from Nintendo is more of what they're already doing. If they had to sacrifice some of their current business model and focus just to improve their online offerings, that would not benefit me nor many other people I believe.

There's a few small things here and there they could use to polish up their services, but saying there's 'a lot' they could learn is hyperbolic and subjective. Don't assume everyone has the same vision for a perfect platform.

I didn't really pick up that many great points from the video they were basically just praising Xbox game pass the entire time.   There might have been a few points in there but I don't see Nintendo doing what Microsoft does.

Also I don't know if it is a British thing or what but saying Ness and SNess... It is N E S and S N E S. You don't fucking say it like the previous...

"Excuse me sir, do you have a moment to talk about our Lord and Saviour Gamepass?"

Looking at videogame sales I'm not sure why Nintendo needs to learn from MS. Nintendo is selling more hardware and software.  And typically has higher rated games.  What Nintendo is doing is working incredible well.  Nintendo knows their market.

rapsuperstar31 said:
CaptainExplosion said:

Ok, but what?

Quality games beyond 1st person shooters and horizon...of course Bethesda and the other companies they bought will help them out to an extent.

Horizon? Did you drag Sony into this conversation?