By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Could Learn a Lot from Microsoft

CaptainExplosion said:
Chrkeller said:

No need to drive a 1914 model A Ford when newer cars are simply better.  We like old games because of nostalgia, not because they are superior.

My kids love and have beaten BotW...  they don't have interest in playing a blocky 10 fps blurry clumsy control mess that is Ocarina.  

I weep for this generation. -_-

Lol, I guess.  My kids are happy with Switch and ps5 games.  I don't see a problem with it.  But you are entitled to your opinion.

Around the Network
CaptainExplosion said:
Chrkeller said:

Lol, I guess.  My kids are happy with Switch and ps5 games.  I don't see a problem with it.  But you are entitled to your opinion.

My problem with it is they don't appreciate classics that these new games wouldn't exist without. -_-

Same is true with all technology.  Should my kids use a flip phone, game on a 13" black/white TV?  Watch silent movies?  Get rid of the surround sound and go with mono?  Should I force them to use a VCR before letting them stream?

CaptainExplosion said:

My problem with it is they don't appreciate classics that these new games wouldn't exist without. -_-

Why should they?

CaptainExplosion said:

It's called being thankful for your games' forefathers.

Lol, ok, I'll go setup an altar to the 8 bit ancestors. Hear my prayers games of ol'

CaptainExplosion said:

*stabs DragonRogue through the frontal dome* What I mean is they can see what games we grew up with were like and understand that they didn't have as much to work with as today's games, or at least understand how good they have it with their new games.

First of all, I thought you were just joking around, hence, my sarcastic reply.

Second, I still don't see why they (or anyone) should be obligated to play old games to appreciate current ones. Do we have to go back to the cave paintings every time we see a Van Gogh to fuuly appreciate it? Art should be able to be appreciated as it is, and games are no exception.

It is an interest that YOU have, the rest of the world may no give a fuck about it, and there is nothing wrong with that.

Around the Network
CaptainExplosion said:

I just want to bond with my young cousins who lost their father and have a difficult relationship with their mother to help through shit, ok?

And AGAIN with the giant leap that involves mediums OUTSIDE OF VIDEO GAMES.

That's ok, I was just questioning the obligation to appreciate old games.

I disagree with the giant leap, as far as I'm concerned, videogames are a form of art as much as paintings or music for example. I just used and exaggerated parallel to make a point.

Nobody needs to 'appreciate' old games. It is just a hobby. I do a bunch of woodworking via making my own furniture. I'm not going to use hand tools because OMG I need to appreciate power tools. People use the best technology.... because well duh.

CaptainExplosion said:
Chrkeller said:

Nobody needs to 'appreciate' old games. It is just a hobby. I do a bunch of woodworking via making my own furniture. I'm not going to use hand tools because OMG I need to appreciate power tools. People use the best technology.... because well duh.

Way to shit on my childhood like everyone else has been in this thread.

No.  You are getting offended because people have different preferences.  Relax man.  Just relax. 

Chrkeller said:
CaptainExplosion said:

That has to be more about the Wii U's abysmal install base, especially when compared to the Wii or Switch.

My kids love their switches abs couldn't care less about old games.

We get it. Kids should like what you do. If they don't there is a problem because reasons.  We should ensure today's youth doesn't have independent thought.