By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Could Learn a Lot from Microsoft

Das true.
But Microsoft could learn way more from Nintendo tho.

Around the Network

So... Nintendo need to give their stuff away for less money? Not much insight there.

They start with "Nintendo should make graphics like Xbox". Which also has no insight, and completely misunderstands Nintendo's markets. People who want graphics are buying XBOX and PS5. Nintendo isn't playing that game (and should not even try IMO).

Then they go on to "Nintendo should have GamePass". Again, no insight and no understanding of Nintendo's market. Nintendo work on branding, and aiming at kids. Kids get limited time on consoles, and parents want control over what they play. Also, kids get games as birthday presents, or buy them with pocket money. Parents do not want a Netflix that they don't control.

Again, all the people who want this.... will NEVER buy Nintendo. So how would doing this benefit Nintendo?

They are learning with their NSO subscription model. It is getting not so bad rn with AC and MK8 DLC included. The drop rate of games is way too slow tho. apparently Gameboy games are already ready to go up on the service but they are waiting on it. It would make it more appealing. Once they fix their online and offers more media options, add gamecube, gameboy and DS games, then the service will be pretty neat.

I honestly don't need them to make a subscription with all their games, it clearly isn't something they are even close from doing. But they need to start by lowering the price of some games on Switch cause it is just overall hurting some franchises. Xenoblade would probably be a lot bigger if the games weren't at full price still. That Nintendo select line can't come soon enough.

I love Gamepass, no doubt about it, but I believe it wouldn't even exist today had Microsoft found success the normal way. If Xbox One continued the success of the 360 and went toe to toe with PS4, and their game's sales were therefore much higher along with revenue and profit, I doubt they would have launched something like Gamepass to begin with as their wouldn't have been a need to find a different way into people's wallets. They also wouldn't have needed to go out and buy a bunch of studios in order to bolster the value of Gamepass if they didn't have GP. But they had to find a different way and they found one, are having success with it, and I'm happy for it because it saves me a ton of money.

Nintendo found its own way by merging into a hybrid. It saves them a ton on developing handheld and console games, each, for every generation, instead making just one. It also saves us consumers money too. I bought both Nintendo handhelds and home consoles, and would buy both handheld games and console games from the same series. Now I just get one. Instead of having to buy Super Mario 3d land for $40 like I did and Super Mario 3d World for $50 or $60 like I did, I get Super Mario Odyssey for $60 and save the difference. This same logic is applied to numerous series. I've saved on the consolidation quite a bit this generation so far, so in that sense Nintendo is helping me out as a consumer. Less redundant, more unique games.

CaptainExplosion said:
OneTime said:

So... Nintendo need to give their stuff away for less money? Not much insight there.

They start with "Nintendo should make graphics like Xbox". Which also has no insight, and completely misunderstands Nintendo's markets. People who want graphics are buying XBOX and PS5. Nintendo isn't playing that game (and should not even try IMO).

Then they go on to "Nintendo should have GamePass". Again, no insight and no understanding of Nintendo's market. Nintendo work on branding, and aiming at kids. Kids get limited time on consoles, and parents want control over what they play. Also, kids get games as birthday presents, or buy them with pocket money. Parents do not want a Netflix that they don't control.

Again, all the people who want this.... will NEVER buy Nintendo. So how would doing this benefit Nintendo?

What makes you say they'd never buy Nintendo?

They would never buy Nintendo because they say they want to play Witcher 3 and then go through all of their favorite spotty-teenage-gamer features that Xbox and Playstation have.  Even if Nintendo had those features, even the most rabid Nintendo fanboy would say "you know what:  you should buy Xbox"

Turning the Switch into "sort of like an Xbox, but not really as good as an Xbox" isn't going to make people who want Xboxes buy Nintendo consoles. More likely, Nintendo's real customers would be turned off by it.

Around the Network

Nintendo doesn’t need a gamepass clone but they do need to look into improving the Switch’s online features.

CaptainExplosion said:
xMetroid said:

They are learning with their NSO subscription model. It is getting not so bad rn with AC and MK8 DLC included. The drop rate of games is way too slow tho. apparently Gameboy games are already ready to go up on the service but they are waiting on it. It would make it more appealing. Once they fix their online and offers more media options, add gamecube, gameboy and DS games, then the service will be pretty neat.

I honestly don't need them to make a subscription with all their games, it clearly isn't something they are even close from doing. But they need to start by lowering the price of some games on Switch cause it is just overall hurting some franchises. Xenoblade would probably be a lot bigger if the games weren't at full price still. That Nintendo select line can't come soon enough.

Honestly I think doing the subscription model isn't working out. Things were far less difficult when Virtual Console was still around. What made Nintendo think a subscription service for their games was a good idea?

Dulfite said:

I love Gamepass, no doubt about it, but I believe it wouldn't even exist today had Microsoft found success the normal way. If Xbox One continued the success of the 360 and went toe to toe with PS4, and their game's sales were therefore much higher along with revenue and profit, I doubt they would have launched something like Gamepass to begin with as their wouldn't have been a need to find a different way into people's wallets. They also wouldn't have needed to go out and buy a bunch of studios in order to bolster the value of Gamepass if they didn't have GP. But they had to find a different way and they found one, are having success with it, and I'm happy for it because it saves me a ton of money.

Nintendo found its own way by merging into a hybrid. It saves them a ton on developing handheld and console games, each, for every generation, instead making just one. It also saves us consumers money too. I bought both Nintendo handhelds and home consoles, and would buy both handheld games and console games from the same series. Now I just get one. Instead of having to buy Super Mario 3d land for $40 like I did and Super Mario 3d World for $50 or $60 like I did, I get Super Mario Odyssey for $60 and save the difference. This same logic is applied to numerous series. I've saved on the consolidation quite a bit this generation so far, so in that sense Nintendo is helping me out as a consumer. Less redundant, more unique games.

And Gamepass has been proven to easily be carried over from Xbox One to Series X, which, if they decide to keep the subscription model, Nintendo should do with their next system.

I agree and hope that is the case. I suspect we won't get GameCube/Wii until then due to the storage limitations on the standard Switch. Wii had 512 mb of internal storage. 3ds had 2-4 GB, or 4-8x more. Wii U had 8-32 GB or 2-16 x more. Switch has 32 GB but is considerably smaller than Wii U collective hardware, so it's more like the successor to 3ds storage, so 8-16x more storage. 

Internal memory is big because many kids and parents don't know how or don't want to deal with installing other cards, so whatever comes out as auto downloaded on a subscription service needs to fit comfortably on the internal storage. GC/Wii games were 1.46-4.7 GB in size. No way they could put many on Switch.

But if Switch 2 has 8-16x more internal memory than Switch, that's minimum of 256-512 GB, which is more than plenty for those games. You could fit at least 54 games of max 4.7 GB Wii capacity on that 256 GB internal storage, which is worst case scenario.

CaptainExplosion said:
Jpcc86 said:

Das true.
But Microsoft could learn way more from Nintendo tho.

Ok, but what?

Quality games beyond 1st person shooters and horizon...of course Bethesda and the other companies they bought will help them out to an extent.

The biggest lesson they can take from Microsoft is competent online. NSO is worse than Xbox Live on Xbox 360. In some ways, it's worse than Xbox Live on the original Xbox.
But yes, I would love a Game Pass for Nintendo. NES, SNES, N64, GCN, Wii, GB, GBC, and GBA games would be great. And even pepper some Switch games in there as well. Nintendo has no motivation to do it because people buy their software en masse. Switch would've had to be a failure for them to even consider such an idea.
Nintendo doesn't even do many price cuts, so something like Game Pass would barely occur to them. Nintendo makes weak hardware and releases popular software. That's all they need to do in their mind.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

No Nintendo doesn't need a game pass service, They sell games at full price for years after they launch and make a considerable amount in hardware and software.

For Nintendo to release a GPU like service they would need to pump a lot of money into to make it viable. And they don't have the teams or manpower to make enough content to subs initiated and going. And they'd have to work with a lot of third parties on top of spending a significant amount to developers to keep their stuff on their service' - which I don't see Nintendo doing any time soon. I mean MS doesn't even make any profit from GP (yet) and won't until player engagement and subscriber count reaches a certain level. The only profit is from people spending money on games and DLC. Plus Nintendo likes profit, and they already have a dedicated user base so nope silly idea.

Last edited by hinch - on 28 March 2022