By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - How do you rate the Xbox Series X so far?

Rate the Xbox Series X/S

5 Stars 22 48.89%

4 Stars 11 24.44%

3 Stars 5 11.11%

2 Stars 3 6.67%

1 Star 2 4.44%

0 Stars 2 4.44%

Total:45

4 stars.

I'm loving the hardware and I've had a few stellar experiences but nothing that really screams "This is a new generation!"

Currently playing Tales of Arise. A game I just could easily be playing on my Xbox One X. Hopefully the 9th gen upgrade for Cyberpunk scratches the itch whenever I get around to it.

Around the Network

Heres my rating below,

Hardware 5/5
Its the most advance console you can buy, not only is the most powerful on paper, its smaller and more quietier than its direct competitor. Engineering marval.

Services 5/5
Its obvious that currently as it stands, the Xbox series offers the best services. Now with GamePass and xCloud added next to Live, its no doubt Xbox dominate in the Services department.

Software 3/5
Xbox has a huge waiting list of 1st party games that are coming, its only a matter of time. However currently its the system with the least amount of 1st party games compared to its direct competitors

Controller 4/5
Dont fix what isnt broken. A very solid and reliable controller. It feels great and has improved upon last gen by adding a share button, gripped handles and better ergonomics. Would have been nice if they added alittle more like a built in Mic etc, thats what is stopping it from getting a 5/5.

Overall 4/5.
As a package, the Xbox Series is a 4/5. Its the best Hardware and Services available however improvements on the 1st party software, and the controller only slightly improved over last gen is what is holding this system back from a perfect score.

Last edited by Azzanation - on 26 February 2022

Don't have the Xbox, do have a PS5, but also play Halo Infinite and Horizon 5 on PC, plus got a year free sub to gamepass when I bought my 3080 ti bundle. No reason to buy one.. though I've picked up a few Xbox controllers due to easy PC compatibility. Software wise.. I'd give it a 3. Controller a 3.5. Not sure if the Xbox experience would be better on the console.

Man.. I hate it when your girl has to leave my place to come back to you..

CGI-Quality said:

Also, @Alex_The_Hedgehog

I see you asked the question, but didn't give a rating. Are you not an owner of the system?

No, no. I am a PC gamer. But I think Microsoft is doing an incredible work with the Series X.

A solid 4. Just due to lack of first party exclusives. The ones that have dropped havebeen larege in scope and acheivements though.

The hardware though is awesome. Currently playing thogh the old gods DLC for doom Eternal after having just completed it on game pass. Ray Tracing is really nice... It somehow manages to maintain a good 1800p 60fps too.

We get rumble in the controller and haptic triggers but I can't deny that I would have liked something a little extra with the controller not unlike the dualsense. It's one of those... Nice to have but not essential things that would have added to the next gen feel.

They've done almost everything right with the series X, glad I managed to get one on launch day.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:

As it is the only next gen console I own, I like it. However, I have some issues...

SERVICES - I know folks say it has the best services, but as a PC owner who can access them there, and then some, that matters less. This is particular hyperbole after I play on PlayStation(s) as well. Plenty of services there that are just as good, and outside of Game Pass (which I find more appealing on PC for the sake of that device's numerous advantages overall), there isn't much else I find the Series consoles that make them any better than its nearest competitor.

LIVE - Honestly, the overall feel of LIVE vs what I've experienced on PS5 (from those who own it) is the PS5's UI is slicker, faster, and far better looking. Nothing about the Xbox One nor Series' UIs have been anywhere near as great as any of the 360's. Still, it is serviceable and works, so I won't bash it further.

CONTROLLER - LOVE it! A nice refinement of the One's and has a premium feel to it! I still prefer the 360's overall (particularly for the Gears series), but otherwise, it is a solid piece!

TECHNOLOGY - As the PS5 is nearly as powerful, has the games to show it, and my PC is many times more powerful, this isn't a strong point for me. I do like how seamless the 4K experience is on Xbox consoles, however!

DISC-BASED MOVIE WATCHING - I've encountered quite a bit of bugs with the Series X drive, bugs I never encountered on any of my Xbox One consoles. It's not often, but it does happen, particularly with 4K Blu-ray discs.

All-in-all, I won't give a numeric rating, but I'll just say it is a solid piece of kit that I have no regrets buying!

Also, @Alex_The_Hedgehog

I see you asked the question, but didn't give a rating. Are you not an owner of the system?

I want to throw out a couple responses to 2 of your categories in question.

SERVICES

You state that you are a PC guy, which is fair enough, PC has the best of all worlds so comparing this directly to PC is not a fair way to rate consoles considered they are aimed for the console market. You should be instead comparing services for the console market which is a much fairer view point and would be more ideal in this case. GamePass, xCloud and Live compared to its direct competitors like PSN, PSNow, PS+ and Nintendo's eShop and Switch Online etc. Accessing these services on PC should not matter, and since these services aren't on opposition console platforms, the true comparison is with consoles.

TECHNOLOGY

Obviously compared to PC the tech is nothing more than midrange, however compare the price, size, noise and specs to its direct competitors since a console should be compared to other consoles. Comparing to PC is like comparing an F1 car to a Sport Car, very different leagues. Software also shouldn't be in the technology category, it should be in a separate category. Just my opinion.

I am curious to know what you think when just comparing the consoles and leaving out the PC market.

Last edited by Azzanation - on 28 February 2022

ironmanDX said:

A solid 4. Just due to lack of first party exclusives. The ones that have dropped havebeen larege in scope and acheivements though.

The hardware though is awesome. Currently playing thogh the old gods DLC for doom Eternal after having just completed it on game pass. Ray Tracing is really nice... It somehow manages to maintain a good 1800p 60fps too.

We get rumble in the controller and haptic triggers but I can't deny that I would have liked something a little extra with the controller not unlike the dualsense. It's one of those... Nice to have but not essential things that would have added to the next gen feel.

They've done almost everything right with the series X, glad I managed to get one on launch day.

Yes, the hardware is incredible. It is so quiet and yet so powerful. 

I find the PS5 OS to be snappier and quicker at some things but that’s about it. People sleep too much on other software things like SmartDelivery and the BC features. I have friends who complain about having to download PS4 versions of games to upgrade to PS5, and save issues, yuck. I’m currently playing Dead Space for the first time, it’s as easy as downloading it, and DS2 and 3 even have FPS boost. It’s very solid. 

As someone who doesn't own one it had a slow start with no next gen exclusives and pretty much zero big exclusives (including cross gen) til holiday 2021. 2022 is looking to be a similar picture. Halo+Forza were a great way to end the year and Forza showed cross gen doesn't have to hold games back but I'm just looking for one more must have and then I'll take the dip but that may not come til Starfield.

Last edited by Otter - on 28 February 2022

I like the controller, the hardware is really good, and the UI is a lot faster than the Series X. Due to covid third party games have been lacking since a lot keep getting delayed and first-party is starting to pick up with Forza and Halo but it's not where I'd like it to be at yet. I'd give it a 3/5.

As someone who actually owns a Series X, I would rate it a 4/5. Only thing keeping it from being a 4.5 or higher is not enough/release scheduling of 1st party games. What Xbox has released has been great with Psychonauts 2, Forza Horizon 5, Gears Tactics, Flight Sim, and Halo: Infinite. It only a matter of time before their 1st party offering really starts to take off, but it's not quite there yet.