By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - How do you rate the Xbox Series X so far?

Rate the Xbox Series X/S

5 Stars 22 48.89%

4 Stars 11 24.44%

3 Stars 5 11.11%

2 Stars 3 6.67%

1 Star 2 4.44%

0 Stars 2 4.44%

Total:45
CGI-Quality said:
Azzanation said:

I want to throw out a couple responses to 2 of your categories in question.

SERVICES

You state that you are a PC guy, which is fair enough, PC has the best of all worlds so comparing this directly to PC is not a fair way to rate consoles considered they are aimed for the console market. You should be instead comparing services for the console market which is a much fairer view point and would be more ideal in this case. GamePass, xCloud and Live compared to its direct competitors like PSN, PSNow, PS+ and Nintendo's eShop and Switch Online etc. Accessing these services on PC should not matter, and since these services aren't on opposition console platforms, the true comparison is with consoles.

TECHNOLOGY

Obviously compared to PC the tech is nothing more than midrange, however compare the price, size, noise and specs to its direct competitors since a console should be compared to other consoles. Comparing to PC is like comparing an F1 car to a Sport Car, very different leagues. Software also shouldn't be in the technology category, it should be in a separate category. Just my opinion.

I am curious to know what you think when just comparing the consoles and leaving out the PC market.

I compared it to platforms I own and/or have experience with. That's relevant, because it doesn't exist in a vacuum. It's a good system, as I stated, but hardly anything Earth-shattering, and if you have a PC that is more powerful, its appeal is lessened. I mainly wanted one as a replacement for the One X, a decent UHD player, and 4K back-compat machine. It does those things very well! Plus, walking into a Meijer in the middle of bum-f nowhere Michigan and seeing one in-store meant the Gods told me that fate was on my side that day.

As for price, size, noise, specs — largely irrelevant. Big consoles have never bothered me, I lived with noisy 360s/PS3s all 7th gen, the PS5 is nearly as powerful, and it cost the same as it. On top of that, this is where PC really shines, because no matter how powerful the Series X is, it remains miles behind my premier platform. Not a fault of its and not something that really changes anything, because if specs were that much of a deterrent, I wouldn't ever buy a console again. And being so close to the PS5 (while having far less exclusives in the long run) means that said specs are not much of a talking point for me. It's a capable machine. That's all it needed to be, particularly for back-compat. That's one of only two advantages it has on my PC. 

And finally "different leagues". Matters only in sales discussions. In my world, Nintendo/PC/PS/Xbox are all comparable/judgeable platforms. 

Thats fair enough coming off your own personal experiences with all machines. As for me, if i was comparing the Series X to PC than it would sit on a 3/5, however comparing this console to other consoles i believe it sits on a solid 4/5 as its dominate in some ways and needs catching up in other ways such as offering more software etc.

Last edited by Azzanation - on 01 March 2022

Around the Network

I've only had mine a week, but it's pretty nifty so far. They need more heavy-hitting exclusives and to, obviously, build more units.

I have zero complaints about mine. At worst it plays my Xbox one library at locked frame rates and high resolutions. And at its best it has made me enjoy video games again.

My only complaint is that I would have liked to have seen more next gen exclusive content but I understand why that hasn’t happened