By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - A reactionary post, I guess.

I can't comment on the substance of your post since I don't know how broadly the 'mask requirements' are/were applied in the US, but I do sympathise with the sentiment of it. Having only two parties to choose from is incredibly restrictive and makes politics even more polarising than it should be. I have 7 parties to choose from and it still feels too limited, there's none of them that I particularly like currently.

A two party system also seems to divide pretty much every issue in a 'left versus right' discussion, even when those issues have inherently little to do with that. For instance, your notion that being opposed to (excessive?) corona restrictions would make you seem 'right-wing' is very foreign to me. When everything is tied to the same two camps, it will naturally disencourage people from forming a unique set of opinions and instead they'll just stick to what their 'side' tells them to think.

Around the Network
Flilix said:

I can't comment on the substance of your post since I don't know how broadly the 'mask requirements' are/were applied in the US, but I do sympathise with the sentiment of it. Having only two parties to choose from is incredibly restrictive and makes politics even more polarising than it should be. I have 7 parties to choose from and it still feels too limited, there's none of them that I particularly like currently.

A two party system also seems to divide pretty much every issue in a 'left versus right' discussion, even when those issues have inherently little to do with that. For instance, your notion that being opposed to (excessive?) corona restrictions would make you seem 'right-wing' is very foreign to me. When everything is tied to the same two camps, it will naturally disencourage people from forming a unique set of opinions and instead they'll just stick to what their 'side' tells them to think.

The worst aspect of the system is the “winner takes all” aspect of it. The losing party gets completely shut out of the process. Oklahoma, the reddest state in the US, still had 30 percent of its population vote Biden. 100 percent of its EVs went to Trump. Its congrssional delegation is 100% Republican. The same situation in reverse exists in Mass.

Flilix said:

Covid denial became a right wing phenomena becasue their sole platform is do nothing, claim any actual problem is a democratic hoax, and say the democrats are evil for doing anything about it. That's why Fox News, the last reliable news source according to the OP, independently implemented a vaccine mandate, while continuously yelling how vaccine mandates are a naziesque violation of freedom. 

Solving problems is unpleasant and often requires us to change the way we live. And people don't like that. No change, no matter how minor, like wearing a mask during a pandemic, is palatable to certain folks. So the republican party has learned not to try and solve any problem ever (except occassionally when it could be blamed on the non-whites, because those people don't vote for them and can be inconvenienced as much as necessary). Then, when the democrats propose any changes and people might have to adjust their lives slightly, they rail against the democrats. This is an example of the strategy in action. Republicans have done approximately jack shit about Covid, wait until people get frustrated with the people implementing MINOR CHANGES WHEN A MILLION PEOPLE HAVE DIED, and voila. 

Last edited by JWeinCom - on 11 February 2022

"Relatively mild Omicron surge"

Also, this isn't a popular rebellion in Canada. The convoy is extremely unpopular and the covid restrictions continue to be popular. This is the far right freaking out because they've lost. 

The Covid topic is dead. That was used in 2020 to fortify the election.

All major media operatives have signaled to their Twitter Karens and Reddit science-believers to knock it off. It's over.

Most countries with more intense lockdowns ended with higher all cause mortality. Vaccines increased all-cause mortality as well (compare 2021 to 2020) and did not make Covid go away as promised. Anyway, the science has changed Biden is President, so that topic is dead now and we will be presented with new topics soon. Maybe Russia or CO2, let's see what sticks.

Around the Network
numberwang said:

All major media operatives have signaled to their Twitter Karens and Reddit science-believers to knock it off. It's over.

Most countries with more intense lockdowns ended with higher all cause mortality. Vaccines increased all-cause mortality as well (compare 2021 to 2020) and did not make Covid go away as promised. Anyway, the science has changed Biden is President, so that topic is dead now and we will be presented with new topics soon. Maybe Russia or CO2, let's see what sticks.

I've already explained to you, as well as others, that what you wrote there is total nonsense.

What increased mortality is too many people not willing to do the little work to reduce the spread of Covid-19. Meanwhile hospitals are overburdened again by the unvaccinated, taking up the vast majority of hospital beds.

numberwang said:

The whole point of this convoy is that we're still talking about Covid and doing shit about it. Why do we continue to suffer this troll?

Jumpin said:

I think I recall Canada being a particularly strict country when it came to protests. Didn’t they send in their military to destroy the native North American protests? I’m assuming they won’t have double standards against these guys.

The Gov considered it, but because the truckers and supporters are more Texan like, they decided not to chance pushing those buttons. Best decision they've made in a long long time.

Like I said earlier. The Canadian protestors aren't even mad yet and the Gov knows it. So you're the Gov, you definitely don't want to be the one who makes them turn green, because if they go hulk, everything's getting smashed. There's no reason for Gov if there's nothing left to govern over.

There's no off button at that point either. Only extreme fatigue will cure that problem here.

Protesting in Toronto was a bridge too far you say Mr Prime Minister?...

How about Windsor?...

Anywhere else you'd like us to visit?...

EricHiggin said:

Protesting in Toronto was a bridge too far you say Mr Prime Minister?...

How about Windsor?...

Anywhere else you'd like us to visit?...

If that's a protest, it looks like the most limp-dicked protest I've ever seen.

Honestly, without being given the context, I'd have thought it was a very weak attempt at celebrating a medal win at the Olympics. I mean, these guys celebrating a gold medal win, in another part of Canada, put that "protest" to absolute shame.

Last edited by Jumpin - on 11 February 2022

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.