By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Biggest pleasant surprise of the Switch era

Astral Chain was also a considerable surprise to me; upon its reveal the art style and VA were extremely off-putting to me, and so I skipped it when it came out and only got around to playing it this year.

It far exceeded my expectations thanks to its interesting combat mechanics and non-combat segments that were fun in their own right rather than padding between fights. 

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network

As for non-Nintendo releases, Bug Fables. As we know, it launched on Windows in 2019 and then consoles in 2020. It's so much like the first two Paper Mario games while also having its own appeal. I love it.
KOTOR coming to Switch was unexpected, but not unwelcome. I adored the game on Windows, and might get it on Switch. I would prefer a PS4 port, though. We are getting a remake on PS5, after all.
Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Didn't expect a Xenoblade Chronicles title to release within 9 months of the Switch's launch. Torna is great DLC as well.
Mario Party Superstars. It's back to the roots of the series. Wish it had more boards (like some from the GameCube titles and maybe one from Mario Party 8), though.
Banjo-Kazooie, K. Rool, Ridley, and Isabelle in Smash.
Kirby and the Forgotten Land. It looks legit. Finally, a 3D Kirby game. I hope it's good.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 144 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million)

PS5: 105 million Xbox Series S/X: 60 million

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

I'll say Metroid Dread.
Metroid is the game that made me want an NES. Since then, it's been one of my absolute favorite series but...I wasn't too hyped for Metroid Dread. I just couldn't muster the excitement for a $60 2D Metroid that looked like it was going to have frustrating chase sequences as a core part of its gameplay.

I bought it on day one out of some sense of obligation rather than anticipation. I've felt the same way about other games. Sometimes it went well (Metal Gear Solid 3) and sometimes I just never give the game a chance and it sits on a shelf, unplayed for years (Red Dead Redemption 2).

With Dread, it sucked me in and I couldn't get enough of it until the credits rolled. Sorry I ever doubted Samus.

Twitter: @d21lewis

Metroid Dread. I was pretty disappointed with Samus Returns, so I wasn’t expecting a whole lot from Dread. But I ended up loving the game, and I think it’s a very worthy sequel to Fusion!

edit: double post

Last edited by Leadified - on 26 November 2021

Around the Network
Leadified

!!!

Hi!

I make music, check it out here on Bandcamp, Spotify, and Youtube!
my top 50 games

freebs2 said:
Doctor_MG said:

Really dislike when people suggest that the Switch has mostly repackaged Wii U games. Of the 59** games Nintendo has published physically on the Switch only around 11 of them are also on Wii U. Here is the list: BotW, Mario Kart 8, Pokken Tournament, Bayonetta 2, DKC: Tropical Freeze, Hyrule Warriors 1, Captain Toad, New Super Mario Bros U, Tokyo Mirage Sessions, Pikmin 3 Deluxe, and Super Mario 3D World

Since Nintendo released Mario Odyssey they've released 51 other titles, with only 8 of those titles being on the Wii U and four of those were in 2018. Basically, they've given us four titles on the Wii U in the last three years. This narrative that Nintendo has inundated its users with Wii U port after Wii U port has got to end. It's just not true. Maybe it was true back in 2018, but it's certainly not true in 2021. 

**This number doesn't include games that were only published in one region, such as Bravely Default 2, and it has combined certain titles such as Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee or the four Labo kits into one published title for simplicity and honesty 

Well aren't those quite a lot? I mean, of course Nintendo hasn't released ONLY repackaged WiiU but their reliance on repackaged ports cannot be overstated.

Lots of WiiU games piling up also with Wii remasters (see Mario All Stars, Skyward Sword, Xenoblade Chronicles) and remakes (Link to the Past, Advanced Wars, Mario Party Superstars). It could also be argued that some of the content branded as "original" didn't really evolve that much compared to its WiiU counterpart (Mario Maker 2, Splatoon 2).

Overall Metroid Dread was some needed fresh air, I haven't been playing the Switch since Luigi's Mansion release in 2019.

Bold: It's Link's Awakening.

yvanjean said:
Doctor_MG said:

Well if you want to include all remakes and remasters from other generations, then it's definitely going to increase it. It looks like it's about 41:18 at that point. Which I would still disagree is primarily it's library. Though personally I don't see why remakes should be viewed in a negative light. However, you also have to remember the the 3DS, due to it's low resolution and graphical quality, was much easier to develop "high quality" games for, because the threshold was much lower than the Switch. Case in point, Legends Arceus would have been amazing/impossible on 3DS, but it's heavily criticized for a Switch game graphically. 

IDK what's going on with Retro. I'm hoping Prime 4 is a 2022 release, but I highly doubt we will see BotW 2, Bayo 3 AND Metroid Prime 4 all in the same year. I feel they'd save it for 2023. That would mean in 9 years they would have only released one game. Which is crazy considering their aptitude. 

Just because you say 41 games release some of these game are hardly worth mentioning 1-2-switch; Labo stuff; Arm; Splatoon games; Mario Kart Live; Mario Golf: Rush. In Nintendo case the remake a quick port that can feel the gap between new release especially for new switch owner. But, for someone that don't want to pay full price for a remake or interest in it these gap are getting longer and longer. Especially when you big release is a game or genre that you don't care. I never really enjoy Bayonetta 1 or 2, therefore I couldn't care less about 3. if BotW 2 get delayed next year that would suck. 

I don't intend to play Legends Arceus; therefore, do not have an opinion on it. Good for every one that have been asking for this open world Pokemon game for a long time. I guess!

You seem to forget that the Switch itself in term of todays spec is a low resolution and graphical quality system. Actually, the switch limitation might actually make it much harder to make high quality games due to spec limitation. 

It's pretty obvious that they scrap a few games project at Retro; I don't think we can say that studio as aptitude since they haven't been able to release a game in 9 years. It sad since they were one of the studio that made game that cater to a more mature audience at Nintendo. 

Bold: So Splatoon is not relevant?

Metroid Dread as I have been anticipating this game since I (once) had youtube videos discussing theories I had based on the Prime 3 screenshots, but I hope the best is yet to come. I want Metroid Prime 4 to do what BoTW did for Zelda and hoping the redevelopment the game is going under will really advance the franchise further than ever before. Depending on how good it is Pokemon Legends: Arceus could also take that spot as well.

TruckOSaurus said:
yvanjean said:

Well WiiU was this short lived flop between the Wii and Switch. I would include the 3DS, Wii and WiiU owner in the switch to the Nintendo Switch. During the WiiU era many just decided to play on 3DS and never got a WiiU. That core is much higher than 13.96m WiiU numbers. So lets say 10-15% of Switch owner own the WiiU. How many percentage of the current switch owner own a 3ds? 

That is of no relevance when talking about if Wii U games are new to Switch owners. The point made was that Wii U ports are new games for a vast majority of Switch owners, that point is true.

I'd add that many of these games are simply more playable on the Switch than they were on Wii U because of the portability factor. And that goes beyond just Wii U ports.

Mario Kart 8: Deluxe is a great example, thanks to portable local multiplayer the game became a major office lunch hour hit. Instead of 4 player split screen locked to your living room, you can have 12 players and everyone has their own screen. Not only that, but if you have less than 12 local players, you can fill up the slots with online players. It's one of the primary drivers for the Switch, with people either picking it up partially or completely because they can play Mario Kart 8 with co-workers during lunch break. For me, it was like an entirely new game because of that alone, and one that saw dozens of times more playtime.

For games like Mario Kart, the added portability was as important (if not more so) than the adding of IR aiming to Resident Evil 4 on Wii.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.