By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Biggest pleasant surprise of the Switch era

mZuzek said:
curl-6 said:

For me, probably Metroid Dread.

I went in expecting a 7/10 game to pass the time, but it ended up being one of my top Switch games.

I think what surprised me the most was that I expected the difficulty to be frustrating, but while it was a tough game, it had a similar quality to Retro's Donkey Kong Country games, where even when I died it was like "okay, one more try, I bet I can get it this time" and rather than getting pissed off I just kept coming back for more, as the eventual victory felt so damn good.

I also didn't expect its pacing, level design, and progression to be so insanely satisfying. Reaching new areas, gaining new powers, and somehow always ending up right where I needed to be was like a constant dripfeed of pure dopamine. 

Phenomenal game.

How exactly do you go into a Metroid game expecting a 7/10 game to pass the time?

Previously, the only Metroid games I was able to really get into were the Prime trilogy. Those I consider some of the best games ever made, but 2D Metroid just never clicked for me before, and I loathed Other M.

Mercury Steam also have an inconsistent track record.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 24 November 2021

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network
yvanjean said:

There a huge cliff between Zelda: Breath of the Wild/Super Mario Odyssey and everything else that came out after. These two games are the pillar of that really propelled the switch. Both games are game of the decade in term of innovation and quality. These game have that special magic that is unique only to Nintendo and that get people coming back.

There a bunch of honorable mention Fire Emblem: Three Houses, Animal Crossing, Stardew Valley, etc. But, After that it been only repackaged WiiU games and the long wait for what comes next. Finally the wait seem to be over with Breath of the Wild 2

Not truth at all, Zelda I agree, but Xenoblade Chronicles is on the same level. And I'll take Pikmin 3, xenoblade chronicles 2 or monster hunter rise over mario odyssey. Even tough some are ports, but Xenoblade looks way better than the wii version and pikmin is a more unique beast, most people never had a wiiU, in fact around 95% of the people who own a switch never had a wiiU, so pikmin 3 was like a brand new game for the vast majority.

Animal crossing did more for the switch than zelda too. And I believe the next big game will be pokemon arceus.

I can only dream of a Mario Galaxy 3 before the generation is done.

Those other games you mention, stardew, fire emblem are really nothing special, they're just good games that's all, I wouldn't buy a switch just for those games.

curl-6 said:
mZuzek said:

How exactly do you go into a Metroid game expecting a 7/10 game to pass the time?

Previously, the only Metroid games I was able to really get into were the Prime trilogy. Those I consider some of the best games ever made, but 2D Metroid just never clicked for me before, and I loathed Other M.

Mercury Steam also have an inconsistent track record.

I know you were never into the 2D games (and I hope that changes from here on), but still. For me it took a long time to get into Super Metroid, I started it over several times until it eventually clicked, but even when I wasn't feeling it I really never saw it as a "game to pass the time". The Metroid series is a lot more than that, really.

Though to be fair, I guess Samus Returns wasn't too far off from that description - it certainly didn't push the series forward in any ways, obviously not narratively since it was a remake but neither did it gameplay-wise. Dread was better than expected coming from that.

I make music, check it out here on Bandcamp, Spotify, and Youtube!
my top 50 games

Also thought about it, but New Pokemon Snap. Pokemon Co is not really....known for doing something that the fans actually want, and a sequel to Snap is one of those 'Oft requested' titles.

The Democratic Nintendo fan....is that a paradox? I'm fond of one of the more conservative companies in the industry, but I vote Liberally and view myself that way 90% of the time?

For me, it was Dragon Quest 11. That game is so charming and lovely. It may not be an exclusive but the Switch version has beautiful orchestrated music instead of midi tunes, and that alone makes a huge difference. The characters have so much personality, the story is very good and the battle system is addictive. This game is like a time capsule for me, it took me right back into the 90s.

Around the Network
yvanjean said:

There a huge cliff between Zelda: Breath of the Wild/Super Mario Odyssey and everything else that came out after. These two games are the pillar of that really propelled the switch. Both games are game of the decade in term of innovation and quality. These game have that special magic that is unique only to Nintendo and that get people coming back.

There a bunch of honorable mention Fire Emblem: Three Houses, Animal Crossing, Stardew Valley, etc. But, After that it been only repackaged WiiU games and the long wait for what comes next. Finally the wait seem to be over with Breath of the Wild 2

Really dislike when people suggest that the Switch has mostly repackaged Wii U games. Of the 59** games Nintendo has published physically on the Switch only around 11 of them are also on Wii U. Here is the list: BotW, Mario Kart 8, Pokken Tournament, Bayonetta 2, DKC: Tropical Freeze, Hyrule Warriors 1, Captain Toad, New Super Mario Bros U, Tokyo Mirage Sessions, Pikmin 3 Deluxe, and Super Mario 3D World. 

Since Nintendo released Mario Odyssey they've released 51 other titles, with only 8 of those titles being on the Wii U and four of those were in 2018. Basically, they've given us four titles on the Wii U in the last three years. This narrative that Nintendo has inundated its users with Wii U port after Wii U port has got to end. It's just not true. Maybe it was true back in 2018, but it's certainly not true in 2021. 

**This number doesn't include games that were only published in one region, such as Bravely Default 2, and it has combined certain titles such as Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee or the four Labo kits into one published title for simplicity and honesty 

Doctor_MG said:
yvanjean said:

Really dislike when people suggest that the Switch has mostly repackaged Wii U games. Of the 59** games Nintendo has published physically on the Switch only around 11 of them are also on Wii U. Here is the list: BotW, Mario Kart 8, Pokken Tournament, Bayonetta 2, DKC: Tropical Freeze, Hyrule Warriors 1, Captain Toad, New Super Mario Bros U, Tokyo Mirage Sessions, Pikmin 3 Deluxe, and Super Mario 3D World

Since Nintendo released Mario Odyssey they've released 51 other titles, with only 8 of those titles being on the Wii U and four of those were in 2018. Basically, they've given us four titles on the Wii U in the last three years. This narrative that Nintendo has inundated its users with Wii U port after Wii U port has got to end. It's just not true. Maybe it was true back in 2018, but it's certainly not true in 2021. 

**This number doesn't include games that were only published in one region, such as Bravely Default 2, and it has combined certain titles such as Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee or the four Labo kits into one published title for simplicity and honesty 

Well aren't those quite a lot? I mean, of course Nintendo hasn't released ONLY repackaged WiiU but their reliance on repackaged ports cannot be overstated.

Lots of WiiU games piling up also with Wii remasters (see Mario All Stars, Skyward Sword, Xenoblade Chronicles) and remakes (Link to the Past, Advanced Wars, Mario Party Superstars). It could also be argued that some of the content branded as "original" didn't really evolve that much compared to its WiiU counterpart (Mario Maker 2, Splatoon 2).

Overall Metroid Dread was some needed fresh air, I haven't been playing the Switch since Luigi's Mansion release in 2019.

freebs2 said:
Doctor_MG said:

Really dislike when people suggest that the Switch has mostly repackaged Wii U games. Of the 59** games Nintendo has published physically on the Switch only around 11 of them are also on Wii U. Here is the list: BotW, Mario Kart 8, Pokken Tournament, Bayonetta 2, DKC: Tropical Freeze, Hyrule Warriors 1, Captain Toad, New Super Mario Bros U, Tokyo Mirage Sessions, Pikmin 3 Deluxe, and Super Mario 3D World

Well aren't those quite a lot? I mean, of course Nintendo hasn't released ONLY repackaged WiiU but their reliance on repackaged ports cannot be overstated.

Lots of WiiU games piling up also with Wii remasters (see Mario All Stars, Skyward Sword, Xenoblade Chronicles) and remakes (Link to the Past, Advanced Wars, Mario Party Superstars). It could also be argued that some of the content branded as "original" didn't really evolve that much compared to its WiiU counterpart (Mario Maker 2, Splatoon 2).

Overall Metroid Dread was some needed fresh air, I haven't been playing the Switch since Luigi's Mansion release in 2019.

You haven't read the entire content of my comment if you feel they have still been relying on Wii U ports in any significant capacity over the last three years. 

Also, 11 games is not much at all. I believe the PS4 has about the same amount content that is also on the PS3. TLoU Remastered, Wipeout HD, MLB the Show 13-16, Uncharted 1-3, Beyond Two Souls, Heavy Rain, GoW 3, Journey, LittleBigPlanet 3, Helldivers Ultimate Edition. This is out of 54 published games (not including only PSN games). Even if you don't break up Uncharted 1-3 and all the MLB games that's still 10 games. People don't say this about the PS4, so idk why they continue saying this about the Switch.

freebs2 said:
Doctor_MG said:

Xenoblade is a remake tho

And no, 11 games over 4000 isn't "a lot". It's good, it fills blanks when needed, it allows people who didn't play the games on the Wii U to play them (and let's face it, nobody had a Wii U) but that's it.

"Quagmire, are you the type of guy who takes 'no' for an answer ?"
"My lawyer doesn't allow me to answer that question"

PSN ID: skmblake | Feel free to add me

Doctor_MG said:
freebs2 said:

You haven't read the entire content of my comment if you feel they have still been relying on Wii U ports in any significant capacity over the last three years. 

Also, 11 games is not much at all. I believe the PS4 has about the same amount content that is also on the PS3. TLoU Remastered, Wipeout HD, MLB the Show 13-16, Uncharted 1-3, Beyond Two Souls, Heavy Rain, GoW 3, Journey, LittleBigPlanet 3, Helldivers Ultimate Edition. This is out of 54 published games (not including only PSN games). Even if you don't break up Uncharted 1-3 and all the MLB games that's still 10 games. People don't say this about the PS4, so idk why they continue saying this about the Switch.

Most of the games you listed there are cross-gen which isn't the same thing as they are brand new games not rehashes of old games. Also yes Uncharted 1-3 shouldn't be split-up, otherwise then we'd be splitting NSMBU and NSLU and Bayonetta 1+2 up so that tactic to pad the list would end up backfiring. Likewise including Helldivers and especially Journey against full retail titles could be seen as padding the list in Nintendo's favour but let's include them anyway: PS3 to PS4 vs WiiU to Switch:

The Last of Us Remastered Bayonetta 1+2
God of War III Remastered Captain Toad Treasure Tracker
Uncharted Nathan Drake Collection Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze
Beyond Two Souls Hyrule Warriors
Journey Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Heavy Rain New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe
Wipeout Omega Collection Pokken Tournament
Helldivers Tokyo Mirage Sessions
Pikmin 3 Deluxe
Mario 3D World

So you're right the difference isn't MASSIVE. But there's several reasons Nintendo gets more flack for it than Sony.

1st: The pricing. An example we can take here is TLOU:R. It launched just 1 year later on the PS4, they bundled it with all the DLC and they charged $50 for it, $10 less than the original release. Meanwhile Nintendo will take a game that is years old like DKC:TF, slap a bit of content in and then charge more for it than it cost in the original release.

PlayStation remasters are usually priced lower than the original releases, in fact the only game in that list they charged $60 for was Uncharted and that included 3 games that were originally $60 each.

Game Price
The Last of Us Remastered $50
God of War 3 Remastered $40
Uncharted Nathan Drake Collection $60
Beyond Two Souls $30
Heavy Rain $30
Helldivers Ultimate Edition $40
Journey $20
Wipeout Omega Collection $40

Game Price
Bayonetta 1+2 $60
Captain Toad $40 (Same as WiiU release)
Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze $60
Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition $60
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe $60
New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe $60
Pokken Tournament Deluxe $60
Tokyo Mirage Sessions $60
Pikmin 3 Deluxe $60
Mario 3D World + Bowsers Fury $60

That's the first reason Nintendo gets more negative reactions to it's WiiU Ports.

The second reason is that Nintendo relies heavily on it's first party for it's systems. Sony can get away with some remaster padding because the majority of it's userbase is quite happy playing many of the blockbsuter third party titles like GTA, Far Cry, CoD, Fifa, Assassin's Creed etc in the gaps between. Switch leans far heavier on it's first party and so padding with remasters has a much greater affect on it's users.

So in summary: Nintendo gets more hate for it's last-gen ports because they price them high and their system is a lot more reliant on first party content.