By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Biggest pleasant surprise of the Switch era

Mario Party Superstars. I hated Super Mario Party even if it ditched the cars it still didnt do nearly anything right and I just assumed there would never be another good mario party game. But damn they just released one of the best ones ever

Around the Network

Probably Final Fantasy 7, 8, and X. Three of my favourite classic Final Fantasy games that had never been on a Nintendo platform before. This is hell just froze over level stuff. Final Fantasy 7 was a more than two decades long wait.

Now I just need FF6 and Tactics, and all my favourite FF games will be on there.

Last edited by Jumpin - on 24 November 2021

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Probably the most surprising game to see was Metroid Dread, with a secondary status of Xenoblade 2 exploding like it did and becoming as big as it did.

The Democratic Nintendo fan....is that a paradox? I'm fond of one of the more conservative companies in the industry, but I vote Liberally and view myself that way 90% of the time?

Metroid Dread. After they released Metroid: Samus Returns on the dying 3DS, I thought 2D Metroid was in a real bad spot but then E3 2021 comes along with an announcement of a brand new Metroid game and the trailers looked awesome too! Then I got my hands on the game and it plays fantastically! Such a happy surprise!

Signature goes here!

As boring as it is, BOTW. People put Skyword Swords poor performance down to needing motion plus but something about that game really didn't resonate at the time. After playing, I appreciate to brave steps it made but definitely didn't have a pull on me like other Zelda games. I could easily see the Series slowly fading if they didn't produce something as ambitious as BOTW and showed Nintendo is really willing to pull out all the stops for their IPs when they have the vision for it. It's been a while since they produced some that technically goes head to head with the endevours Sony or Square put into their flagships and I feel BOTW did that.

Around the Network

There a huge cliff between Zelda: Breath of the Wild/Super Mario Odyssey and everything else that came out after. These two games are the pillar of that really propelled the switch. Both games are game of the decade in term of innovation and quality. These game have that special magic that is unique only to Nintendo and that get people coming back.

There a bunch of honorable mention Fire Emblem: Three Houses, Animal Crossing, Stardew Valley, etc. But, After that it been only repackaged WiiU games and the long wait for what comes next. Finally the wait seem to be over with Breath of the Wild 2

For me it was Tetris 99. I'm a "seasoned" gamer so I've been playing Tetris most of my life but I had mostly lost interest in it, and didn't see how a battle-royale style Tetris game could work. 100+ hours later, I'd say it worked pretty well, and definitely reignited my interest in the core game!

Switch: SW-3707-5131-3911
XBox: Kenjabish

kenjab said:

For me it was Tetris 99. I'm a "seasoned" gamer so I've been playing Tetris most of my life but I had mostly lost interest in it, and didn't see how a battle-royale style Tetris game could work. 100+ hours later, I'd say it worked pretty well, and definitely reignited my interest in the core game!

I'm at 290 hours, shit is just addictive 

Not a Switch exclusive game but Bug Fables was everything I've wanted from a Paper Mario game since TTYD. As far as exclusive games Zelda is by far the easiest answer as it was just perfect. I'll go with Fire Emblem three Houses. I've never played a Fire Emblem game before but after plowing 90+ hours into Three Houses I wish I would have played the previous entries.

Breath of the Wild.

As soon as I saw this game at E3 2016, I knew it would be great. (And it was, and it is.)  That probably doesn't sound like much of a surprise.  For me the surprise was that this game ever got made in the first place.  For the longest time I thought that Link to the Past was the last game in the series that was true to the roots of Zelda.  Then Breath of the Wild came along and shocked me that it actually even existed.  This was Zelda going back to it's roots.  I waited 25 years for this game.  For me this was real Zelda.  

This is how I knew it would outsell Mario Odyssey, even when Odyssey released later and had a huge lead over BotW.  Back in the NES days, Zelda was Nintendo's #2 franchise (after Mario).  Zelda always had the potential to be a huge seller.  But it needed to get back to its roots to unlock its true sales potential.  That is what Breath of the Wild did.  It gave me a feeling a whole lot like I felt back in the 80s when I was playing Zelda for the first time.

Last edited by The_Liquid_Laser - on 24 November 2021