By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Forza Horizon 5 Boosts Xbox Series X|S Sales - Global Hardware Nov 7 to 13

Zippy6 said:
curl-6 said:

Switch ahead of PS5 in Europe and XS ahead of PS5 in America, both bucking recent trends.
Sony almost seems to have bailed on Japan for the time being, less than 2% of their global sales from the week came from there.

Yeah the only reason to think anything other than a great result is because yet again people kept pushing switch expectations higher and higher and saying it would beat 2020.

It's a great year of sales.

Yeah I agree, I feel like the only cause of disappointment with Switch sales is people having unrealistically high expectations.

For a system in its 5th year, in a global chip shortage no less, the Switch is on fire.

Around the Network

Has "PS5 D0M3D" already been said?

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Alby_da_Wolf said:

Well, since you requested it, "the PS5 will sell less than 80m lifetime".  That's not really doomed, but a lot of Sony fans are really sensitive about any drop in sales from the PS4.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:

Well, since you requested it, "the PS5 will sell less than 80m lifetime".  That's not really doomed, but a lot of Sony fans are really sensitive about any drop in sales from the PS4.

You'll learn eventually. Your PS5+XSX prediction of less than 56m by the end of 2023, it'll reach 56m by the end of 2022.

I'm sure you've lamented the "cliff" switch comments but you're making the exact same unrealistic prediction for PS5/XSX.

You are the new cliff prophet all the jokes are going to be about.

Last edited by Zippy6 - on 25 November 2021

There are signs this could be a disappointing holiday for the new consoles due to stock issues but it's still early so a bit more waiting till black friday week to get a much clearer picture is needed.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:

I agree with the latter but expecting the PS5 to do worse than the PS3 is a very unrealistic prediction. Could you post a yearly sales breakdown? Considering the PS5 will be at around 19m by the end of this year I wonder what you expect it to sell in the next few years to end up at around 75m.

Around the Network

My local GameStop had 16 PS5s and 19 Xboxs. Lol I ended up just buying another Series X.

RolStoppable said:
curl-6 said:

Yeah I agree, I feel like the only cause of disappointment with Switch sales is people having unrealistically high expectations.

For a system in its 5th year, in a global chip shortage no less, the Switch is on fire.

Results from the poll that ran from January 4th through January 11th:

Sell-through expectations for Switch in 2021?

Less than 15 million525.37%

15.0 - 17.4 million565.79%

17.5 - 19.9 million9710.02%

20.0 - 22.4 million21622.31%

22.5 - 24.9 million17618.18%

25.0 - 27.4 million16517.05%

27.5 - 29.9 million707.23%

30.0 - 32.4 million616.30%

32.5 - 35.0 million111.14%

More than 35 million646.61%

Total:968

The two options covering 22.5 to 27.4m will be closest to the actual result and they were the second and third most popular options. The biggest share went to an option that will below the actual performance of Switch in 2021. I suppose a lot of people really believed that corona was the biggest sales driver for Switch in 2020, so they expected a significant drop.

Outside of these three options in the middle and the lowest and highest option (which I typically ignore due to trolls making up a majority of these votes), there were actually slightly more people who prediced sales below 20m than there were people who expected Switch to be flat or higher than in 2020.

In any case, Switch sales in 2021 won't finish below the general consensus of early 2021, so the system lived up to expectations.

Good catch; eek at the 4th highest option being "17.5-19.9m", when it was coming off a 28 million year.

It's going to finish higher than over 60% of voters predicted.

It's because of all those ps5 sitting with scalpers! It's just a tiny percentage, but I do know of one person sitting on 5 ps5s waiting for the holiday desperation to set in. The dad of one of my kid's friends is apparently a scalper. He won't let his kid play on it, keeps them for selling on. It does apparently happen.

Into the holidays with 0 consoles available on the shelves. No Switch, No XBox, No PS5. Oh wait, Series S Fortnite bundle is back, available in stores here, choice of 1.

SvennoJ said:

It's because of all those ps5 sitting with scalpers! It's just a tiny percentage, but I do know of one person sitting on 5 ps5s waiting for the holiday desperation to set in. The dad of one of my kid's friends is apparently a scalper. He won't let his kid play on it, keeps them for selling on. It does apparently happen.

Into the holidays with 0 consoles available on the shelves. No Switch, No XBox, No PS5. Oh wait, Series S Fortnite bundle is back, available in stores here, choice of 1.

The Switch gets more stock than the PS5 and Series X. It’s not that hard to find. Yeah you can’t find one instantly like the Series S but quite a few stores have em in stock. The GameStop and Walmart I visited the other day had The Lite and Standard Switch on stock and it was available online at Walmart just a few days ago. 

Yeah all those Series S consoles sitting on shelves around the world will finally earn their keep this holiday when they're the only current gen system widely available. The charts for the remainder of the year should be very interesting indeed.