By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Opinion: Sony needs a response to Gamepass and NOW.

Is Xbox gaining momentum and shifting it from PS?

Yes, they are def gaining momentum 12 19.35%

Yes, they are gaining mom... 17 27.42%

Nah, Sony is still getting all the headlines 19 30.65%

No, not at all 14 22.58%

Total:62

I think its super short sighted to say that Sony doesn't need to respond to gamepass. They absolutely do need to. A super easy way to do that is to bolster PS Now with their full exclusive library going from PS4 to PS5 (for downloads) and whatever can stream included as well (PS1, PS2, PS3).

They can keep their current year releases and other games that are still selling well as individual buys e.g. The last of Us 2, Ghost of Tsushima, Returnal etc. Perhaps carefully select which PS5 games to include as PS Now titles while the PS5 library is building up.

They also need to start shifting to PC not only for the PC market but it will help facilitate easier streaming.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Around the Network

Why doesn't Nintendo?

Hmm, pie.

The Fury said:

Why doesn't Nintendo?

Because Nintendo is unaffected and are a different entity. Very Wii vs ps360. Switch is like a handheld (DS) and console (Wii) come together so they aren’t as affected. Also because their games are exclusive and only on Nintendo platforms for the most part. We shall see what happens but they have already responded by adding SNES and N64 games to their online to get people to sign up. 

mM
GProgrammer said:

The ps5 has nearly outsold the Xbox series by 2 to 1 and this is where Xbox series S's can be easily brought, unlike the Xbox series X or either of the PS5's.
Why would they want to copy something that is doing worse

Well with Game pass Microsoft platform also includes PC, Cloud and Mobile not just the console and that makes Gamepass market share much greater then PS5 will ever get and why they need to consider a solution. 

Sony Interactive Entertainment boss Jim Ryan has said he’s frustrated at how PlayStation’s first-party games are ‘gated’ to their current console model audience of tens of millions of players.

Even Sony executives want to see their game open up to a bigger market and not being gated by platform sold.

SNY also 'needed to directly respond to XB1 BC asap' with PS4, and they certainly didn't. They did their own thing and it worked wonders. They even launched PS5 without really doing anything about PS1-PS3 BC.

Heck, we just had XB announce even more BC games, and it seems that SNY still isn't too worried about it.

If anything, who needs SNY to respond is MS, because once SNY were to do that, it would extremely legitimize GP in the eyes of console gamers.

Around the Network

*looks at current state of WW sales*

Not yet, no. But if Xbox starts to really challenge them in a serious way, maybe.

EricHiggin said:

SNY also 'needed to directly respond to XB1 BC asap' with PS4, and they certainly didn't. They did their own thing and it worked wonders. They even launched PS5 without really doing anything about PS1-PS3 BC.

Heck, we just had XB announce even more BC games, and it seems that SNY still isn't too worried about it.

If anything, who needs SNY to respond is MS, because once SNY were to do that, it would extremely legitimize GP in the eyes of console gamers.

How much time do you actually spare by writing SNY instead of Sony ?

"Quagmire, are you the type of guy who takes 'no' for an answer ?"
"My lawyer doesn't allow me to answer that question"

PSN ID: skmblake | Feel free to add me

Shinobi-san said:

I think its super short sighted to say that Sony doesn't need to respond to gamepass. They absolutely do need to. A super easy way to do that is to bolster PS Now with their full exclusive library going from PS4 to PS5 (for downloads) and whatever can stream included as well (PS1, PS2, PS3).

They can keep their current year releases and other games that are still selling well as individual buys e.g. The last of Us 2, Ghost of Tsushima, Returnal etc. Perhaps carefully select which PS5 games to include as PS Now titles while the PS5 library is building up.

They also need to start shifting to PC not only for the PC market but it will help facilitate easier streaming.

I agree that it doesn't even make sense since I feel they very clearly were working towards getting the foundation set before Covid/ semi-conductor shortage. If we consider the year before PS5, quite a few changes were made to PS Now: pricing, streaming quality, server moves, more 1st party and high profile 3rd party content. Sony themselves were even talking about PS Now at one point. So it's clearly in the works, but I think their plans are just in limbo. I wouldn't expect any real advancements for PS Now until the situation has cleared itself.

Their plans may have well just shifted as well. 

yvanjean said:
GProgrammer said:

The ps5 has nearly outsold the Xbox series by 2 to 1 and this is where Xbox series S's can be easily brought, unlike the Xbox series X or either of the PS5's.
Why would they want to copy something that is doing worse

Well with Game pass Microsoft platform also includes PC, Cloud and Mobile not just the console and that makes Gamepass market share much greater then PS5 will ever get and why they need to consider a solution. 

Sony Interactive Entertainment boss Jim Ryan has said he’s frustrated at how PlayStation’s first-party games are ‘gated’ to their current console model audience of tens of millions of players.

Even Sony executives want to see their game open up to a bigger market and not being gated by platform sold.

Honestly i just laugh at Sony fans when they say they dont need no gamepass like service. Lets all be happy with our 70 games and paying out the ass, fuck any company that wants to offer us another way or something better.

Honestly its like another user here said, humans can be stupid creatures that cant see past their own nose most of the time so clearly they are going to think they dont need to do anything cos things are going pretty good for them. Hell i remember when things where going good for so many company's before something came along and disrupted their whole market making it fall down around them, and all cos they didnt act quick enough.

Blockbuster or any video rental stores, Sony walkman i mean apple totally took that from them right?. how about Nokia? or Sony phones?. so many more i could name. You keep staring at your own nose while others are moving things in a disruptive way for your bottom line your top line is going to come falling down.

Last edited by zero129 - on 19 November 2021

leo-j, if you want gamepass, just get an XBox.