By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Opinion: Sony needs a response to Gamepass and NOW.

 

Is Xbox gaining momentum and shifting it from PS?

Yes, they are def gaining momentum 12 19.35%
 
Yes, they are gaining mom... 17 27.42%
 
Nah, Sony is still getting all the headlines 19 30.65%
 
No, not at all 14 22.58%
 
Total:62

The way I see it, XB has simply gained back some of the momentum they lost during XB1. Where as PS5 has added a little over PS4.

XB Series has much much more work to do yet, while PS5 simply has to refrain from screwing up to badly for the next 4 to 8 years.

PS likely has a GP game plan in the works if they ever truly require it, but I don't see them needing it this gen. Maybe PS6. Maybe.



Around the Network
Dulfite said:

I predict MS is gearing towards it's ultimate attack on Sony and other competitors in other industries. What that attack is? An all in one subscription. For a set annual fee, you get unlimited access to Gamepass Ultimate, Office 365, paid Team/SharePoint features, their own version of Google One to backup photos, paid azure/VScode/Visual Studio/SQL applications for your development needs, and more. Maybe they even throw in discounts on all products for subscribers. Imagine getting all this in one annual subscription. It would make the annual Amazon subscription look like a joke.

Why would Microsoft combine Game Pass with Office 365, when the latter is already part of a subscription (the highest tier going for $25/month), and the target audience widely differ? What do you think people use Office 365 for lol? In this hypothetical, if Microsoft were to make another tier for Office 365 with Game Pass included, how much do you think it would cost? 

Sony having an all encompassing subscription service with games, movies, television, anime, makes a lot more sense & has a lot more overlap. In fact, this is the direction we are seeing Amazon & Netflix pivoting towards. 



GProgrammer said:

The ps5 has nearly outsold the Xbox series by 2 to 1 and this is where Xbox series S's can be easily brought, unlike the xbox series X or either of the PS5's.
Why would they want to copy something that is doing worse

Forza horizon 5 managed to reach over 6 million players in a week. Ratchet and clank in months barely cracked 1 million in sales. Now yes you can argue the revenue isn’t the same BUT, if you look at the big picture, subs are going up for gamepass. And you can argue gamepass is becoming their platform. We shall see what happens but I do see Xbox gaining momentum. Despite selling 13 million consoles, forza is on the verge of out pacing miles morales because of gamepass . 



 

mM
PotentHerbs said:
Dulfite said:

I predict MS is gearing towards it's ultimate attack on Sony and other competitors in other industries. What that attack is? An all in one subscription. For a set annual fee, you get unlimited access to Gamepass Ultimate, Office 365, paid Team/SharePoint features, their own version of Google One to backup photos, paid azure/VScode/Visual Studio/SQL applications for your development needs, and more. Maybe they even throw in discounts on all products for subscribers. Imagine getting all this in one annual subscription. It would make the annual Amazon subscription look like a joke.

Why would Microsoft combine Game Pass with Office 365, when the latter is already part of a subscription (the highest tier going for $25/month), and the target audience widely differ? What do you think people use Office 365 for lol? In this hypothetical, if Microsoft were to make another tier for Office 365 with Game Pass included, how much do you think it would cost? 

Sony having an all encompassing subscription service with games, movies, television, anime, makes a lot more sense & has a lot more overlap. In fact, this is the direction we are seeing Amazon & Netflix pivoting towards. 

Gamepass ultimate is going to include crunchy roll soon which is hilarious considering they are owned by Sony. Why would t Sony push this as more benefit for their platform ? 



 

mM

If Game Pass isn't disrupting the console market in the mid term, but it is growing the overall reach of the Xbox platform, while Playstation continues to increase its market share, why would Sony need to pivot this generation? Believe it or not, Sony is looking towards the long term, but they are doing it by expanding their content library, increasing their internal pipelines, using their IP in different mediums, growing their brand in developing markets, and building the popularity of their IP. Look at how Sony is growing Playstation in China and the Middle East, look at the SonyZee merger in India, look at The Last of Us being adapted into a television series, look at the former Apple Arcade boss that was hired to lead Sony's mobile push. All these current moves, with an additional 18.3+ Billion to further bolster their entertainment sectors, strengthen Sony as an entertainment conglomerate.

Pivoting to a subscription service in the next decade will be easier for Sony if their content pipeline is beefed up & they have massive IP under their umbrella. Doing a Game Pass competitor now just means they'll lose billions of dollars in revenue and profit, and its for an unproven subscription method that has more barriers to entry than simply removing consoles, such as time investment, or even the passive nature of watching a movie or listening to a song, compared to the interactivity needed to play a video game.

Last edited by PotentHerbs - on 18 November 2021

Around the Network
leo-j said:

Gamepass ultimate is going to include crunchy roll soon which is hilarious considering they are owned by Sony. Why would t Sony push this as more benefit for their platform ? 

Who says they won't be doing that in the long run? 



leo-j said:

Forza horizon 5 managed to reach over 6 million players in a week. Ratchet and clank in months barely cracked 1 million in sales. Now yes you can argue the revenue isn’t the same BUT, if you look at the big picture, subs are going up for gamepass. And you can argue gamepass is becoming their platform. We shall see what happens but I do see Xbox gaining momentum. Despite selling 13 million consoles, forza is on the verge of out pacing miles morales because of gamepass . 

I think a more important factor is how much engagement Forza Horizon 5 has in the long run, or how many subscriptions Forza Horizon 5 pushed during its launch week, having a high number of players is a given being included in a subscription service. For example, look at how you can inflate the popularity of Uncharted 4, presumably 20+ Million LTD, but has been confirmed to have 37+ Million players. 

Xbox gaining momentum doesn't mean it will impact the PS5. In fact, I could see all three platform holders growing their userbase, simply because a global pandemic last year reignited a lot of interest in gaming for lapsed gamers.



Nope. Game Pass was a desperation move by MS. Sony systems keep outselling MS even in this new generation so there is no rush.



Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

I would be worried if Sony was totally blind to what MS is doing. But they're not, they are watching closely and making their own strides towards something similar. I think it's wise to not fully commit to a similar system right away. Just wait and see what happens to the other guy first. If Play Pass (yes, I named it here) will be the right move for them, they can jump into it with relative ease, because they have been looking at it and they already have their own, smaller thing plus the Azure deal going with MS.



More internet bull.