By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Opinion: Sony needs a response to Gamepass and NOW.

Is Xbox gaining momentum and shifting it from PS?

Yes, they are def gaining momentum 12 19.35%

Yes, they are gaining mom... 17 27.42%

Nah, Sony is still getting all the headlines 19 30.65%

No, not at all 14 22.58%

Total:62
Fei-Hung said:

I want my big budget games and MS is yet to release one. This halo seems like the lowest budget Halo to grace a console. Maybe this is an indication of things to come for Gamepass.

I'm not 100% sure, but i heard a time ago that Halo infinite is the most expensive game ever made.

Source: https://www.thegamer.com/halo-infinite-most-expensive-game-ever-made/

Around the Network

Sony doesn't need anything, with GT7, god of war and horizon forbidden west, Forspoken, for next year, they are sorted, they will outsell the xbox by default. Unless Microsoft would launch Fallout 5, elder scrolls 6 and Starfield and Forza motorsport 8 next year, then yes xbox could stand a chance. But that wont happen.

SKMBlake said:
EricHiggin said:

SNY also 'needed to directly respond to XB1 BC asap' with PS4, and they certainly didn't. They did their own thing and it worked wonders. They even launched PS5 without really doing anything about PS1-PS3 BC.

Heck, we just had XB announce even more BC games, and it seems that SNY still isn't too worried about it.

If anything, who needs SNY to respond is MS, because once SNY were to do that, it would extremely legitimize GP in the eyes of console gamers.

How much time do you actually spare by writing SNY instead of Sony ?

I think you meant XBOX instead of XB, or maybe XBOX ONE instead of XB1?

Have a look at the thread title as well as the pole title. Anything to say about that?

zero129 said:

Well what does? if 20 million people are subbed thats 20 million that could buy DLC etc. If we look at Gamepass as a console itself instead of just looking at hardware we can see its doing very well and 25 million is still more then 12-14 million console sales for the PS5.

It also goes back to 3rd partys they see a number like "Your game reaching 25+ million users or reaching just 13 million and maybe not even getting picked up since most of them users going to pay their 70 for the next CoD or GTA or whatever. Look past your nose Potent and you might see the future..

The amount of subscribers is Game Pass actual market share. Not some made up scenario where hundreds of millions are subscribed. Game Pass doing well is drastically different than Game Pass expanding the market to the point where Sony needs to consider a response or they get left behind. Its not like Game Pass is growing at the rate of Netflix or Disney+ either. Your example is also extremely short sighted, considering the PS5 has only been out for a year while Game Pass has been out since 2017, and you need to factor in the PS4 userbase, which is still active and buying software, MTX, DLC, etc. The majority of the industry still sees the console model as the most optimal way to make money. 

Game Pass could very well be the future but its far from a guarantee that so many here are declaring. Video games are an entirely different medium of entertainment. The time investment and interactivity needed to enjoy a video game requires a lot more commitment than movies or music. That's why one market has been capped for a few decades while the other has billions of people enjoying it daily. Game Pass is already on PC, a platform that has billions of users, but it hasn't come close to penetrating 10% of that userbase. Even the mobile market Microsoft is trying to tap into has a completely different audience than the console market. A Game Pass app on Smart TV's is Microsoft's best bet to expand the Xbox ecosystem, IMO.

Like I detailed in another post, there are more important things for a multimedia conglomerate like Sony to focus on in the mid term, before pivoting to a unproven business model in the video game industry. 

EricHiggin said:
SKMBlake said:

How much time do you actually spare by writing SNY instead of Sony ?

I think you meant XBOX instead of XB, or maybe XBOX ONE instead of XB1?

Have a look at the thread title as well as the pole title. Anything to say about that?

No no, I meant omitting only 1 letter from "Sony" to make it shorter.

From XBOX ONE to XB/XB1 --> from 7 to 2/3 = make sense

From SONY to SNY --> from 4 to 3 = doesn't make much sense

And about the title and the topic, nothing particular to say, it's full of wrong assertions at first:

- "record high sales for Xbox" not really, we don't have any clue about the actual sales, only revenues (and sometimes only growth percentage compared to last year's Xbox One sales, which don't say much)

- "record tweets about Xbox" tweet numbers isn't a metric at all

- "what a phenomenal punch was the release of Forza and Halo Infinite" Halo hasn't been launched yet on GP,  or he's talking about the free online multiplayer, which has nothing to do with Game Pass

- "The content of PS Now is abyssymal" he didn't clearly had a look of the games, you can't have +800 games with all being bad.

- "Sony continues its trickle of game releases with FF ps1 era games" that's EXACTLY what GP added a few months ago as well

- "Gamepass has from what I’ve last heard over 20 million subs. And gaining rapidly." The growth has heavily slowed down actually, growing only 2 million in 6 months.

- "Forza is a niche racing game" yeah, sure. And Fifa is a niche football game.

- "Rachet being played by only 2 million people while Forza is played by 6 million" Ratchet is a PS5 exclusive game, Forza is available on Xbox Series X, S, One X, One S, PC and xCloud

- "Why even own a 500$ console when you can xCloud them ?" cause currently Cloud gaming isn't for everyone

- "get the game for free on gamepass" The famous "I'm getting this free stuff that only costs 13$ a month" paradox

Around the Network

Not for the time being. As shown by sales charts (and the responses on this very same forum) Sony fans seem to be quite happy with the status quo.

Now, with that being said, Xbox's biggest years in terms of revenue happened at a time where their hardware sales were at the lowest, so I'm sure Sony is looking at that and assessing the situation.

chakkra said:

Not for the time being. As shown by sales charts (and the responses on this very same forum) Sony fans seem to be quite happy with the status quo.

Now, with that being said, Xbox's biggest years in terms of revenue happened at a time where their hardware sales were at the lowest, so I'm sure Sony is looking at that and assessing the situation.

That Papa Phil effect 

Fei-Hung said:

I want my big budget games and MS is yet to release one. This halo seems like the lowest budget Halo to grace a console. Maybe this is an indication of things to come for Gamepass.

I buy my consoles for big budget spectacles that are fun to play and at the moment the only place to get them is on the PlayStation.

Older games and older AAA games I can get on PSNow and PS+ and the best thing is PS+ is for keeps and miles ahead of Games with Gold.

Everyone needs to address something, not just Sony. It is inevitable that PS5 games will come to PSNow. It's not a matter of if but when. However, when will Microsoft address the lack of AAA games that do well? Yes they bought Bethesda to play catch-up, EoS and FO are games which come out once every 10 years. The other games still need to prove themselves.

Sony on the other hand is finally hitting that Nintendo level where their games are starting sell big numbers.

More than doing what gamepass does, Sony needs to start rolling out PSNow onto TVs as an app with Dual Sense support.

Do you realise that Forza Horizon 5 is a big budget game? Halo Infinite is definitely also big budget.

Can i get a confirmation that social media metrics tell shit @SKMBlake ?

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

kirby007 said:

Can i get a confirmation that social media metrics tell shit @SKMBlake ?

I don't understand your question, so I'll use an abreviation: WHT