By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Discussion Thread | The 12th Annual Greatest Games Event

Guessed by kenjab

'SimTower' is the game that introduced me to builder games. The 'construction & management simulation' genre as Wikipedia names it in a fancy way. I've taken over that name for it, because it does cover the genre better than naming it 'city builder' or whatever. The genre would grow on to be one of my favourite, if not overall favourite genre. I like quiet, relaxing and slow, solitary games, with no competitiveness, no stress and no frustration most of the time. I like making things, and that's what the genre is all about. I also always want map editors with things.

The game also introduced me to a darker aspect of video games. Piracy. Okay maybe not that dark, but still. This game came on a bunch of floppy discs. And the only defence of games on floppy discs against being pirated is the little switch on the side that prevents copying. So after finding that out we copied the floppies, and brought it back to the store to trade in, saying it wasn't that much fun after all. We got SimCity 2000 in return, but that game came on a CD. And CD's were impossible to copy, we were sure of that, so we kept that game. Luckily that game was fun too.

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Here are some more hints for mine.

40. a. The protagonist of this PS2 game just barely made it as one of the Bros.
b.  This first entry of the series is known for combining two types of IP.

39. a. This Switch game somehow feels like the sequel to two different games simultaneously.
b. Defeat enemies by the hundreds or thousands.

38.  This game was published in 1980, but I think it would have been appropriate to have put it in a gold box.

37. Probably the best part about this PC RPG was the toolset that was included with it.

#38: The gold box games were RPGs published by SSI. I focus on RPG here, as SSI published other games in 1980, and I somehow doubt you mean the original Rogue like - Rogue, which released 1980. But at the time Epyx released a shitload of games with the same engine and a strategic focus, not unlike the Gold box games, mostly under the series Dunjonquest. I think Temple of Apshai was the most successful, so let's take that.

#37: Many RPGs actually had great toolboxes, even the gold box series had unlimited adventures, But you probably mean Neverwinter Nights. And not the 90s game from AOL (which could've been a gold box game as SSI was involved), but the one from Bioware from 2002.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Eric2048 said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

39. a. This Switch game somehow feels like the sequel to two different games simultaneously.

38.  This game was published in 1980, but I think it would have been appropriate to have put it in a gold box.

37. Probably the best part about this PC RPG was the toolset that was included with it.

40. Is Kingdom Hearts I think

39. Hyrule warriors age of calamity?

Both correct!

Mnementh said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

#38: The gold box games were RPGs published by SSI. I focus on RPG here, as SSI published other games in 1980, and I somehow doubt you mean the original Rogue like - Rogue, which released 1980. But at the time Epyx released a shitload of games with the same engine and a strategic focus, not unlike the Gold box games, mostly under the series Dunjonquest. I think Temple of Apshai was the most successful, so let's take that.

#37: Many RPGs actually had great toolboxes, even the gold box series had unlimited adventures, But you probably mean Neverwinter Nights. And not the 90s game from AOL (which could've been a gold box game as SSI was involved), but the one from Bioware from 2002.

38.  Incorrect.

37.  Correct!

Another clue:

38. a)  This game was published in 1980, but I think it would have been appropriate to have put it in a gold box.
b) This was the first game to give credit to a developer, although the credit had to be put in a hidden room.

Darashiva said:
Farsala said:

37 This game was the first to feature a guy with a flaming sword within the large roster.
36 Mario never felt so fluid until now. Go anywhere!
35 Sci fi Fantasy but not Final Fantasy. Main character is dressed like he is going to beach every day, even in colder climates.
34 Yet another JRPG, this time featuring a franchise that wasn't really that popular until this entry.
33 Much like Digimon World, this game features a day and night cycle. Unlike Digimon World the days keep repeating.

I feel like I should know 35, but just can't think of an answer.

34:Tales of Symphonia maybe.

34 Not correct.

35 You might have on your list, not sure yet.

coolbeans said:
Farsala said:

37- Yes

36- Close

35- No

34- Close

33- No

Hmm... I'll have to think about 35 & 33.  I'll change 36 to Super Mario Galaxy 1 or 2.

36 is not correct.

2nd round of hints for the 3 left.

By anywhere I mean like up, down, left, right. As well as the direction of the game, you can choose which worlds to enter from a main hub.

35 Sci fi Fantasy but not Final Fantasy. Main character is dressed like he is going to beach every day, even in colder climates.

You can participate in the trades like Cooking, Alchemy, Engineering and Smithing. Some Characters are better than others at these things.

34 Yet another JRPG, this time featuring a franchise that wasn't really that popular until this entry.

When this game released, a lot of people enjoyed this game simply due to its distinct style, but the story has depth within the social climate.

Around the Network

#39 This Is the first game in this franchise which will be celebrating it's 20th anniversary next year.

#38 This PS1 title received a remake in 2019 which added new characters and new Tracks to race on.

#37 Is the second game in this PS2 franchise. It allowed you take control of two other characters. The level structure was also changed up from the previous game.

#36  This Sequel introduced new features and improvements that would become staples in this franchise. One being the ability to level up weapons and health by deafeating enemies

#35 This Rpg originally released for the NES allowed you to recruit up to three other characters to join you in your quest to defeat a demon lord.

Farsala said:

You can participate in the trades like Cooking, Alchemy, Engineering and Smithing. Some Characters are better than others at these things.

When this game released, a lot of people enjoyed this game simply due to its distinct style, but the story has depth within the social climate.

35: Star Ocean 3?

Eric2048 said:

#39 This Is the first game in this franchise which will be celebrating it's 20th anniversary next year.

#38 This PS1 title received a remake in 2019 which added new characters and new Tracks to race on.

#37 Is the second game in this PS2 franchise. It allowed you take control of two other characters. The level structure was also changed up from the previous game.

#36  This Sequel introduced new features and improvements that would become staples in this franchise. One being the ability to level up weapons and health by deafeating enemies

#35 This Rpg originally released for the NES allowed you to recruit up to three other characters to join you in your quest to defeat a demon lord.

39) Well many games fit this, I'm gonna guess Kingdom Hearts

37) Sly 2

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Farsala said:

2nd round of hints for the 3 left.

By anywhere I mean like up, down, left, right. As well as the direction of the game, you can choose which worlds to enter from a main hub.

Stealing it: Super Mario 64.

mZuzek said:

So last night I said I should stop giving early hints since they get guessed immediately. Tonight I say screw it, it's hint city.

#32 - There used to be 39 of them, but now there's 40. Gotta kill 'em all!
#31 - This game was applauded for being "realistic", but nowadays I don't think anyone would use that word to describe it.

32: Metroid Samus Returns

31: Doom?

Time for more hints:

40) Unusual to this series and JRPGs in general, the MC of this game can wield not one but three weapon types

Hint 3: The series in question is Tales of

Hint 4: I doubt more than a few people on here have played this, so I'll give the biggest hint I can: It has 2 in the title

34) Too zolt

Hint 2: Rorrim

33) You spent much of this game in a preposterously tall tower.

Hint 2: You play as the vessel.

32) The protagonist for this game looks decidedly different from the other protagonist of the series.

31) This game is extremely beloved despite being rushed. Personally I think it shows, but it's still tons of fun.

30) First game in the series to have DLC, some of it had people ecstatic and some of it less so.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat