By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Discussion Thread | The 12th Annual Greatest Games Event

S.Peelman said:

New hints interlude. Because why not.

#32: Chose one of three families, naturally one goes west over the mountains, the next goes east towards islands and ancient lands, and the third goes across the sea to the desert and fertile shores.

Hint 2: Even though each of these three families are the driving force behind the expansion of this empire, or republic actually, you all still answer to a central government that owns the capital.

Hint 3: At some point however, you'll want everything for yourself, and you'll start a big war to conquer all the areas of the other two families and, finally, the capital itself to become the first emperor.

#31: This games comes with what is maybe the most accessible map editor ever shipped alongside a game, where you can simply put down track elements such as tabletops, whoops and low high and high jumps as simple tiles.

Hint 2: Especially interesting, I always thought it was pretty hypnotising at least, was how you had to "verify" your newly built track before you could save it. The computer would then visibly trace your tiles and pieces first with black outlines from start to finish, and then remove all the tiles one after one temporarily in the backwards order.

32 is Rome Total War

31 is maybe Roller Coaster Tycoon, not really sure on that genre.

Around the Network

Dark Messiah Of Might and Magic

Dark Messiah is probably the most fun I've had with First Person Rpg combat. It was developed by Arcane Studios who is known mostly for dishonored. It released for PC in 2006 and in 2008 for 360. I played the PC version.

The best thing about this game as I said is the combat a lot of First Person rpg's have serviceable (Elder Scrolls) to downright awful(Kings Field) combat I do like those games for other reasons. Dark Messiah is the first time it truly felt fun for me. In addition to your normal sword swings and charged attack. You have a kick ability which you can use to push your enemies into spike traps and other hazards. You have an ice spell that you can freeze enemies with or cause them to slip and fall. You can pick up barrels with your hands or a Telekinesis spell and just launch them at your enemies. You also have bows and stealth available to you. The game also rewards players for exploring and finding secret areas which can contain special items.

Ever since I've played it I've been on the lookout for similar games but haven't had much luck the closest thing I could find was Arx Fatalis and the aforementioned King's Field games. It's a shame there aren't more games like this being made because it's really a genre I like.

Eric2048 said:

#44 Is a first person Rpg where you fight with swords and magic but it probably isn't the first thing that pops into your head. Hint #2 it features ragdoll physics and you can find some pretty creative ways to defeat your enemies.

#41 This game is the second game in a spinoff series from a well known rpg franchise. You use "magic keys" to travel to other worlds. Hint#2 It is a turn based Rpg. One of the monsters you can encounter is a slime creature.

#40 This is the first game from a certain playstation franchise that hasn't seen a new entry for some time now. Hint#2 The main character has a unique weapon which he uses for melee attacks.

No one guessed them so I'll reveal the correct answers

#41 Is Dragon Quest Monsters 2

#40 Is Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus

Last edited by Eric2048 - on 27 November 2021

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West

YoY: -3

Probably more than any other game on my list, Enslaved: Odyssey to the West is on my list thanks to the characters. I like the gameplay, I love the post-apocalyptic world the game establishes, and the story is very well-told and interesting. It is the best Ninja Theory game I have played. However, above everything else, the reason this game is so high on my list are the two main characters, Monkey and Trip, and the relationship that develops between the two over the course of the story.

Another reason why the game stood out to me, especially at the time, was its world. Despite being set in a post-apocalyptic world, it wasn't the grey, dull, desolate wasteland that was so common in video games at the time, but rather a lush, green and colourful place that was a joy to spend time in. Some aspects, like the gameplay, haven't aged quite as well, but it's still overall a fun game to play. It's just not the main reason I still go back to it every now and then. It's a shame the game ended on something of a cliffhanger, and because it didn't sell well enough we're probably never going to see a sequel.

Here are some more hints for mine.

40. a. The protagonist of this PS2 game just barely made it as one of the Bros.
b.  This first entry of the series is known for combining two types of IP.

39. a. This Switch game somehow feels like the sequel to two different games simultaneously.
b. Defeat enemies by the hundreds or thousands.

38.  This game was published in 1980, but I think it would have been appropriate to have put it in a gold box.

37. Probably the best part about this PC RPG was the toolset that was included with it.

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Here are some more hints for mine.

40. a. The protagonist of this PS2 game just barely made it as one of the Bros.
b.  This first entry of the series is known for combining two types of IP.

39. a. This Switch game somehow feels like the sequel to two different games simultaneously.
b. Defeat enemies by the hundreds or thousands.

38.  This game was published in 1980, but I think it would have been appropriate to have put it in a gold box.

37. Probably the best part about this PC RPG was the toolset that was included with it.

40. Is Kingdom Hearts I think

39. Hyrule warriors age of calamity?

Farsala said:
S.Peelman said:

New hints interlude. Because why not.

#32: Chose one of three families, naturally one goes west over the mountains, the next goes east towards islands and ancient lands, and the third goes across the sea to the desert and fertile shores.

Hint 2: Even though each of these three families are the driving force behind the expansion of this empire, or republic actually, you all still answer to a central government that owns the capital.

Hint 3: At some point however, you'll want everything for yourself, and you'll start a big war to conquer all the areas of the other two families and, finally, the capital itself to become the first emperor.

#31: This games comes with what is maybe the most accessible map editor ever shipped alongside a game, where you can simply put down track elements such as tabletops, whoops and low high and high jumps as simple tiles.

Hint 2: Especially interesting, I always thought it was pretty hypnotising at least, was how you had to "verify" your newly built track before you could save it. The computer would then visibly trace your tiles and pieces first with black outlines from start to finish, and then remove all the tiles one after one temporarily in the backwards order.

32 is Rome Total War

31 is maybe RollerCoaster Tycoon, not really sure on that genre.

Rome Total War is correct!

RollerCoaster Tycoon is not however. Let's recap; Excitebike as guessed by GoOnKid was fairly close, one of its aspects is the same as my game. It's however not in the Excite series or a Nintendo game. It's also not RollerCoaster Tycoon, and I'll give a bonus hint; it's not that genre either, Excitebike was closer.

S.Peelman said:
Farsala said:

32 is Rome Total War

31 is maybe RollerCoaster Tycoon, not really sure on that genre.

RollerCoaster Tycoon is not however. Let's recap; Excitebike as guessed by GoOnKid was fairly close, one of its aspects is the same as my game. It's however not in the Excite series or a Nintendo game. It's also not RollerCoaster Tycoon, and I'll give a bonus hint; it's not that genre either, Excitebike was closer.

GoOnKid said:
S.Peelman said:

I am purposefully making this game harder than it needs to be, I'm evil like that.

But, Excitebike is a racing game, a certain kind of racing game.

S.Peelman said:

I am purposefully making this game harder than it needs to be, I'm evil like that.

But, Excitebike is a racing game, a certain kind of racing game.

Ride 3 or 4