By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Discussion Thread | The 12th Annual Greatest Games Event

Mnementh said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

40) Unusual to this series and JRPGs in general, the MC of this game can wield not one but three weapon types

Hint 3: The series in question is Tales of

38) This series is seemingly well on its way to remaking all its games from the beginning. This was the second remake REmake 2

37) ^Strangely enough this hint also work for this game. Only the remakes have been more split over the years for this series.

Hint 2: This game is over a decade old. The series is over 2 decades.

36) First the depths, now the skies.

35) The Japanese and NA boxart(s) feature the protagonist. The European ones, an infamous enemy in the game.

#37: maybe Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSiver?

That's the one!

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Around the Network
GoOnKid said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

40) Unusual to this series and JRPGs in general, the MC of this game can wield not one but three weapon types

38) This series is seemingly well on its way to remaking all its games from the beginning. This was the second remake REmake 2

37) ^Strangely enough this hint also work for this game. Only the remakes have been more split over the years for this series.

Hint 2: This game is over a decade old. The series is over 2 decades.

36) First the depths, now the skies.

35) The Japanese and NA boxart(s) feature the protagonist. The European ones, an infamous enemy in the game.

36) Bioshock Infinite

35) Resident Evil 3

Right on 36.

35 is not it.

Alright bringin in some new hints

Hint 4: I doubt more than a few people on here have played this, so I'll give the biggest hint I can: It has 2 in the title

Hint 2: GoOnKid was close

34) Too zolt

33) You spent much of this game in a preposterously tall tower.

Machina said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

Right on 36.

35 is not it.

Is #35 Resident Evil 4? I remember the chainsaw mini-boss being on my Wii version's European box art.

Yup. Guess it was unnecessary for me to add a hint 2 :D

Machina said:

Even more clues:

• Lots of destruction in this racer, with debris from cars frequently littering the track.
  • It's in large part inspired by Touring Car racing.
  • This game started a new series, but it's basically a successor to the old TOCA games.

• This very colourful 2D indie platformer was initially a PS4 exclusive and is notoriously difficult in later stages.
  • It received an Ultimate Edition expansion and in total has thousands of levels. Most can be completed in seconds, even the hard ones... if you're really really good at the game.
  • The name of this game consists of one letter and two symbols.

• This sequel to another colourful platformer is in 3D and first person.
  • It wasn't as well received as the original, despite being open world (something a lot of people claimed they wished was in the first game).
  • The music artist Solar Fields returned to do the soundtrack for this sequel (and it's great^^).

#37 is probably N++

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network

No guesses yet, so here'a another hint.

#35:

• The main character's mistake at the start of the game leads to the death of his mother after she saves him from drowning.
  • Dark Djinn and White Witch
  • Ghibli

TruckOSaurus said:

Correct for 37.

Machina said:

Damn, beaten to the punch on a few of these - Pixeljunk and some of Trucks' clues. I really wanted to get the ass one :(

Yeah well.. I'm not into guys myself but even I thought after 60-odd hours of games that his ass was.. well shaped.

Last edited by S.Peelman - on 25 November 2021

Darashiva said:

No guesses yet, so here'a another hint.

#35:

• The main character's mistake at the start of the game leads to the death of his mother after she saves him from drowning.
  • Dark Djinn and White Witch
  • Ghibli

Well, Ghibli means Ni No Kuni, and seeing as one of the games is literally called "Wrath of the White Witch" I guess one white witch is in it. So yes, this one.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

#37 Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana
guessed by Kakadu18
platform Switch/Stadia
release year 2016
developer/publisher Nihon Falcom/NIS America
genre action RPG
links Wikipedia
past years 2020: #43, 2019: #45, 2018: #47

Ys is a longrunning RPG-series with the hero Adol Christin as the main character. In this entry his ship wrecks on a mysterious island. As he explores the island he find other passengers of the ship, helps building a shelter, fend off monster attacks and so on. It is a very satisfying mix of actions.

The story is set in the universe of the Ys series, but brings the characters to an island which no one ever left. It is filled with monsters of all sorts, including Primordials which were believed to be extinct. Exploring the island and reaching the regions you saw before from afar is very satisfying.

The fighting system is diverse and each character brings on their own set of moves, which helps to keep fighting fresh. The game also offers decent challenges.

The real fun is to explore more and more of the island and on the way uncover more of a twisted plot. At some point we have even to solve a crime and play detective.

Another element are the recurring monster attacks which can be played for points as waves of monsters attack your base.

I played it on Switch, which probably doesn't offer the best graphical fidelity of all versions, but still it was a very nice looking game. I replayed it later on Stadia and got a more visually refined version.

If you like action JRPGs, you should give this game a try.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zojyM1cNIgM

Last edited by Mnementh - on 25 November 2021

#34 is still unguessed, so I add another hint:

#35: As the king is consumed by the rot, who will dare to challenge the throne? The tribes of the wolfes, rats, bears and rabbits give it a try. Guessed by Darashiva.

#34: The game starts with the Peach Garden Oath. Each army needs a proper leader. The officers who lead the armies are also needed to develop agriculture or commerce, or to search for items. This is a game in a very long running series, it has the number XIV. Guessed by Machina.

#33: En Taro Adun! Guessed by TruckOSaurus.

#32: You have 72 hours. Guessed by TruckOSaurus.

Last edited by Mnementh - on 25 November 2021