By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Discussion Thread | The 12th Annual Greatest Games Event

coolbeans said:

30 - Returnal?

10 - Team Fortress 2

Nope to both! Though they are both good guesses based on the hints. 

S.Peelman said:

Kena Bridge of Spirits?

Though I'm not sure how I feel about the potential of the rule34 thing being true.

Fortunately it's not the right answer! Though Kena was a CUTE and engaging character, she's not a SEXY character. 

Eric2048 said:

30. Is Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart

Theeere we go! This is the correct answer. Pretty sure someone guessed it already but I've been strugglin' to manage the guesses. 

I'm a furry, guys. Of course, I know about Rivet Rule34. 

Here are my final sets of hints. 

19 - I go after The sponge before the Gator so I can get a more powerful gun early.

- The optional super weapon is from a fighting game. This game is not a fighting game.

- Getting this SNES game is super expensive because there was a special chip in the cartrige. 

17 - Trust me, you don't wanna get the chip sets, because you can only have one at a time, but if you wait until the final levels you can have all four.

- Why in the world didn't the cutting weapon cut the ropes? Why did you have to use some weird electric punch?! Makes no sense. 

- While published by the same company as the previous two entries in the series (Both of which are on my list, one isn't guessed yet) this was done by a third party.

10 - This game also features almost all the content and DLC from its previous three iterations, making it a definitive edition of sorts.

- I think it holds the record for most consecutive weeks of DLC. 2,553 pieces of DLC between now and November 2007.

- The one thing I don't like about this game is that they took away a feature from its immediate predecessor: The Keyboard Controller. 

05 - This game is the reason I got into the Dark Souls franchise, despite not liking it all that much the first time I played it, and it not being a Souls game.

- Starring: Tampons! 

- The main game reminds me of what I'd expect out of a modern Castlevania game but in 3D. But that's only half the game. The other half is procedurally generated, theoretically producing infinite possibilities for content. 

Last edited by Runa216 - on 28 December 2021

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Around the Network
Darashiva said:
Eric2048 said:

14. This game features an outfit for the main character that the main character from a previous game wore.
Hint#2 it is a turn-based rpg where party members can perform special attacks together.
Hint#3 It has two main Antagonists

9. This PS1 JRPG was overshadowed when it first released. It has gained a cult following in recent years.
8. This game features a sport that is played underwater.
7. This RPG takes place in a world covered in mist.
6. This game's gameplay is focused around gravity.

9: A lot of options for this one. Let's try The Legend of Dragoon.

8: Final Fantasy X

7: Well, it only fits part of the game, but Final Fantasy IX?

6: Gravity Rush?

9. Nope 

8. Yes Although Mnementh guessed it first

7. Yes

6. Nope

Mnementh said:
Eric2048 said:

14. This game features an outfit for the main character that the main character from a previous game wore.
Hint#2 it is a turn-based rpg where party members can perform special attacks together.
Hint#3 It has two main Antagonists

9. This PS1 JRPG was overshadowed when it first released. It has gained a cult following in recent years.
8. This game features a sport that is played underwater.
7. This RPG takes place in a world covered in mist.
6. This game's gameplay is focused around gravity.

#9: Legend of Mana
#8: Final Fantasy X
#7: Demon's Souls
#6: Gravity Rush

9. nope

8. Yes 

7. Nope

6. Nope

Machina said:

Oh, 5 is Bloodborne. I don't remember the tampons though lol.

Indeed! I was referring to the Honest Trailer for the game. 

The Tampon Joke is at 3:14

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

mZuzek said:

And just like that, we're into the top 3. The past few games are very special to me but I think these next three are on a different level. They've all been number one for me at some point in time, and I wouldn't mind putting any of them up there even now.

#3 - A linear, story-driven adventure where you travel lands both above and beneath the clouds.

#3 - I'd be surprised if it isn't Zelda Skyward Sword :P

Around the Network

4. This game is an RPG with a life/death cycle. The monster you train will eventually die and be reborn again.
There is also a day/night cycle. And an achievement system. A discipline system. A training system. All this on a PS1 game.

3. This game features not only one of the best soundtracks in the series, but of all games. The main character struggles with himself for most of the game, but he has to be a leader.
He slowly becomes infatuated with another party member. At first it seems like he doesn't care, but eventually he comes around.

Honorable mentions and games #50 to #45: https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9345764

Games #44 to #40: https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9345857

Games #39 to #36: https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9345971

Games #35 to #31: https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9346168

Games #30 to #26: https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9346322

Games #25 to #21: https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9346754

Now, I enter the top 20:

#20 - Final Fantasy IX

Final Fantasy IX has a story with a lot of memorable moments and an amazing ending which is one of my favorites in RPGs. The cast of characters is just so charming and likeable, with Vivi being my favorite FF character, and I love the romance story between Zidane and Garnet, which is probably my favorite in RPGs. This game also features something called the Active Time Events, which allow you to see what the characters are doing when you get to a new town, and I love this feature because it fleshes out said characters even more. Of course, it must be said that this game is brimmed with side content (I spent so many hours doing the Chocobo Hot and Cold game).

#19 - Final Fantasy XII

I love the political tone that this game's story has, and I really like the cast of characters (outside of maybe Vaan and Penelo, who are kinda bland), I must say that Balthier is my 2nd favorite FF character after Vivi. This game's world is just so very well developed, I love all the lore they built for the different nations and their towns/areas, and the game does a great job at making the different locations feel alive, for example, in the fields you'll see monsters interacting with each other or NPCs interacting with the monsters. The fields themselves give a great sense of adventure and feature many secrets for you to find, the exploration aspect is one of my favorite things about this game. 

#18 - The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

The Wind Waker is an incredibly charming game with one of my favorite stories in the Zelda series, thanks to all the memorable moments and endearing characters that it features; it must be mentioned that this game's Ganon is my favorite in the series. While the Great Sea is not exactly the most exciting overworld, it does well its job of giving you a sense that you are in a grand adventure, and it features a good amount of side activities. The audiovisual aspect is one of the biggest strengths of this game, with a beautiful art-style that never ages, and an OST that is top tier in a series filled with great OSTs.

#17 - The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

While I love this game for several reasons, I think the aspect where it shines the most are its dungeons, which have pretty great level designs and some really interesting settings (for example, I love the idea of the City in the Sky, the Snowpeak Ruins and the Arbiter's Grounds). This game also features some of my favorite items in the series, such as the double clawshot and the spinner. Then there's the boss battles, which are very well designed, incredibly epic, and really satisfying to do . I found the whole story of the Twilight Realm to be interesting, and I absolutely love Midna and her development through the story, I actually really missed her after finishing the game (in all my playthroughs of it).

#16 - Kid Icarus: Uprising

I find this game's overall gameplay flow to be just so addicting, I really like both the rail-shooter-esque air-based combat sections and the TPS-esque ground-based sections (though I tend to prefer the latter). The ground-based combat is pretty deep, as the effectiveness of your attacks will depend on both the weapon you use and the way you throw your shoots so, for example, shooting while running and while evading will deal different amounts of damage. But, while I love the gameplay, the game wouldn't be this high in this list if wasn't for all the likeable characters and great dialogue that it features; also, the plot is pretty engaging and has some really unexpected plot twists.

Last edited by Link_Nines.XBC - on 29 December 2021

Farsala said:

4. This game is an RPG with a life/death cycle. The monster you train will eventually die and be reborn again.
There is also a day/night cycle. And an achievement system. A discipline system. A training system. All this on a PS1 game.

3. This game features not only one of the best soundtracks in the series, but of all games. The main character struggles with himself for most of the game, but he has to be a leader.
He slowly becomes infatuated with another party member. At first it seems like he doesn't care, but eventually he comes around.

4: Digimon World?

3: Final Fantasy VIII?

#5Ōkami
guessed bydrbunnig
platformPS2/Wii/Switch
release year2006
developer/publisherClover Studio/Capcom
genreaction adventure
linksWikipedia
past years2020: #9, 2019: #9, 2018: #8, 2017: #12

Okami is a beautiful game with a classic story and excellent gameplay. It feels just great to roam around as a wolf, fight demons and help the people free the land from the demonic influences. You play as the sun goddess Ameratasu in the form of the white wolf Shiranui and you wield the godly brush with which you can influence the environment: you can make plants bloom, put the sun in the sky, repair broken stuff and so on.

The game looks absolutely gorgeous. I think never saw I used the cel shading technique used in a better way. There are so many details in this too. But it is not just the cell-shaded art-style. It is the way nature is restored through your actions. It is how the humans fit in so well with the nature. Even details like running let's plants grow in your path feel right.

Gameplay is somewhat close to the Zelda formula, although you obviously doesn't wield a sword. But you have to solve quests, fight enemies and find secret stuff to overall free the land and bring nature back. This includes some interesting boss fights. Besides that you explore the lands. Movement is so fluid, alone running and jumping around is quite fun. I absolutely loved the wolf-form in Twilight Princess, but Okami made it even better. The classical Zelda-items are replaced by the divine brush, which works great as well.

Sadly the title released at the end of the PS2 lifetime did not great and Capcom closed down Clover Studios after this title. Still, the game developed a cult following and always did great with the reviewers, so over time Capcom rereleased the title again and again. So now you can play it basically everywhere - and you totally should.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhnhRfTzRnw

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

3. NiGHTS: Into Dreams (Sega Saturn – 1996)

Few games captures the magic, or shall I say, essence of video games the way NiGHTS: Into Dreams does. This is the crowning achievement of Sonic Team and producer Yuji Naka. The game communicates emotions through sound/music, visuals and gameplay in a way few other games ever did. The game world is packed with creativity and the Arcade-style gameplay is so damn smooth and addictive. It really drags you in when you get a hold of it. Safe to say, it pulled off that feeling of speed and visual sensation that the Sonic games aimed, but it was only here that the developers truly managed to deliver that. The game is short, but the replay value is high, and all the levels feel exceptionally well crafted, and the boss battles are some of the best in any video game. There is no game quite like NiGHTS. I can recommend the Steam port and the Xbox 360 version (which is backwards compatible on XO and XS), but the Saturn version is still the finest, the quality of the 3D visuals of that era (of which this is certainly a top 10 contender), strangely enhances the dream-like quality of the game, which is unfortunately not fully preserved in the remastered version. The Saturn version also controls slightly better.