By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Discussion Thread | The 12th Annual Greatest Games Event

Machina said:

• The sequel to a very inventive and superbly written comedy.
  • Shower curtains.
  • You're re-united with a beloved companion... and an enemy.
  • Narratively, this series is cleverly tied into the world created by another major series by the same developer.

• Actually, I'd rather not kill him thank you; I quite like him.
  • Not just him either, I also like the recurring mini-bosses. They're only trying to protect the children.

• Most people prefer this game's sequel. The first game is higher on my list because of its originality, as well as the tighter and (imo) wittier writing.
  • It's a very short game.

• Phalanx

8) Portal 2?

4) Portal?

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Around the Network

I'll continue:

Honorable mentions and games #50 to #45: https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9345764

Games #44 to #40: https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9345857

Games #39 to #36: https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9345971

Games #35 to #31: https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9346168

#30 - Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch

This is a very heartwarming game with a lot of emotional moments, charming characters, and a great sense of adventure. This game's world is so very well made, with one of my favorite World Maps in J-RPGs (if not my favorite), and a well developed lore with lots of details (for example, all the mini-stories you can read in the Wizard's Companion Book). The Pokemon-esque monsters collection is something that I enjoyed in this game, though I can see why it can be divisive. Also, I just love that visual style and the music.

#29 - Final Fantasy VII

This is a game with a lot of memorable story moments (which is something the old FF games were great at doing), and a well executed plot of self-discovery for the protagonist Cloud, I think his development is one of the best parts of the story. The ATB-based combat system is enjoyable, and the Materia system is really deep and very fun to play with. The amount of extra content in this game is amazing (I spent so many hours breeding Chocobos, and the Gold Saucer stuff can become addicting).

#28 - Super Mario Galaxy 2

This game refines the Mario Galaxy formula with even more interesting and brilliant ideas for level and puzzle designs, some of which involve the character Yoshi, who comes back after being absent in the first Mario Galaxy. I think Mario Galaxy 2 overall feels more tight and complex in terms level design than the first game, and I'd say less easy too (not particularly hard, but the first game sometimes felt waaaay too easy). Some may say that the lack of the Observatory is a negative, but this game's method for accessing the levels is way snappier.

#27 - Suikoden II

This game features one of my favorite stories in video games, not only it is pretty engaging and memorable, but the writing is legitimately brilliant, especially the whole dichotomy between the protagonist and Jowy, or the strategies that certain character comes up with to battle enemy armies. I also love the whole concept of getting different characters to join your army, since the sidequests you do to make them join can be pretty memorable and touching, and tell you their backstories. 

#26 - Pokémon Platinum

My favorite Pokémon game, with the Sinnoh region being probably my favorite Pokémon region (or at least tied with Hoenn) due to its scope, its atmosphere, all the secrets you can find in it, and all the lore they built for it regarding the origin of Pokémon and space-time themselves and other stuff. I really enjoy the origin topics they touch in the main story, even if said story is relatively simple. The game is also brimmed with single-player content, with a whole new island to explore in the post-game (Battle Frontier included), and lots of secrets that the main region has for you to uncover. To finish, I want to say that Cyhthia is my favorite boss battle in the series. I'll just keep playing this and pretend the remakes don't exist.

Last edited by Link_Nines.XBC - on 27 December 2021

Now that the rest is almost cleared up it's time to enter the top 5

8) This remake greatly expanded upon the final chapters of the original

Hint 2: You definitely know the original, but the remake is semi-obscure

Hint 3: It's a fan made remake, but the original developer gave it the greenlight and it's available on their platform

Hint 4: "Maybe _____  ____? That was a joke. Haha. Fat chance."

Hint 5: Named after the corporation whose research facility the game starts in

5) Released in the same year as Read Dead Redemption and has a main character who John Marston reminded me of

4) I quite liked the whole trilogy, but this 3rd game went above and beyond

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

mZuzek said:

So, this is a bit embarassing to admit, but I still haven't decided the order between my #5 and #4. Will try to think it over in the little time there is

I made a change to the position of a game AFTER I had already posted it here (I made Ys VIII go from #36 to #32)

Last edited by Link_Nines.XBC - on 26 December 2021

Machina said:

• The sequel to a very inventive and superbly written comedy.
  • Shower curtains.
  • You're re-united with a beloved companion... and an enemy.
  • Narratively, this series is cleverly tied into the world created by another major series by the same developer.

• Actually, I'd rather not kill him thank you; I quite like him.
  • Not just him either, I also like the recurring mini-bosses. They're only trying to protect the children.

• Most people prefer this game's sequel. The first game is higher on my list because of its originality, as well as the tighter and (imo) wittier writing.
  • It's a very short game.

• Phalanx

3 - Demon's Souls?

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Around the Network
UnderwaterFunktown said:

Now that the rest is almost cleared up it's time to enter the top 5

8) This remake greatly expanded upon the final chapters of the original

Hint 2: You definitely know the original, but the remake is semi-obscure

Hint 3: It's a fan made remake, but the original developer gave it the greenlight and it's available on their platform

Hint 4: "Maybe _____  ____? That was a joke. Haha. Fat chance."

Hint 5: Named after the corporation whose research facility the game starts in

5) Released in the same year as Read Dead Redemption and has a main character who John Marston reminded me of

4) I quite liked the whole trilogy, but this 3rd game went above and beyond

8: Black Mesa. I must have somehow missed your hints earlier.

Guessed by The_Liquid_Laser

So yet another game that could be my most played video game ever is 'Anno 1602'. Like 'RollerCoaster Tycoon 2' (#7), I've played this game pretty much uninterrupted from when it was released, in the case of this game all the way back in 1998. Well, there has been a pause when I and a friend, the same one I've spoken of in some other entries throughout the list, were mostly playing 'Anno 1404' and 'Anno 1800' in succession instead. A couple months ago though, we decided to go back to 1602, and found that really, as impressive as 1800 is the simplicity of 1602 is just better. We played all day as recent as last weekend actually.

Usually, I prefer to play video games, at least the voice work, in English because Dutch people are terrible at these things and everything always sounds super cheesy. However, the first version of this game we played back in the late 90s and early 2000s had a Dutch voice-over. So the sound of that voice and the one-liners it shouts have been ingrained into our brains. And the voice really does shout everything, like "KIES JE BANIER!!" cranked up to 11, which means "choose your banner". The voice also stresses individual words for no apparent reason like "BOUW een grote kerk" which means "build a larger church", which is always funny. This became a meme between my friend and me, where we'd stress words like "BUILD" in sentences and conversations completely unrelated ourselves. It's silly I know. Silly, but funny. And isn't friendship really only just about sharing something stupid you can laugh and reminisce about?

Kakadu18 said:

#6: Hint 1: At one point in the game the whole scope of the story suddenly explodes in size.

#6: Hint 2: A summit of extreme hight is where you realize that the adventure has only truely begun now.

#6: Hint 3: In how many games do you accidentally destroy the entire world?

#6: Hint 4: The two most important characters have brightly colored hair, red and blue.

#6: Hint 5, final hint: You meet alot of creatures believed to be long extinct.

It's Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana, I'm surprised that no one got it after the hair color hint.

I totally should've got it with previous hints. I didn't read the hair color one and the extinct creatures just now, as the holidays get me more away from the internetz than usual. Great game though and I am surprised how many lists it made (including mine). Can't remember it turning up in so many lists in past years. It is totally deserved though.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

At this point #3 hasn't been guessed yet so here the second hint for that one, and also the first hint for #2. We're almost there!

#3: Instead of the usual, this game features three different powers; a flying one, an invincibility one and an invisibility one.

Hint 2: You'll still have to activate them for use in levels by pushing a big coloured button at the end of a short level.

#2: The greatest video game story twist ever.

S.Peelman said:

At this point #3 hasn't been guessed yet so here the second hint for that one, and also the first hint for #2. We're almost there!

#3: Instead of the usual, this game features three different powers; a flying one, an invincibility one and an invisibility one.

Hint 2: You'll still have to activate them for use in levels by pushing a big coloured button at the end of a short level.

#2: The greatest video game story twist ever.

3: Super Mario 64!!

2: Bioshock?