By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Discussion Thread | The 12th Annual Greatest Games Event

Machina said:

More and new clues:

• Getting to use the sword is a novelty, and often tricky.
  • Shooting laser beams at your opponent is also fun.
  • It's the second entry in a series that's still going strong to this day.
  • One thing I loved about the game was the little cut scene vignettes you unlock when you complete the single player part of the game with each different character.
  • You also unlock extra playable characters by completing the game with a character that each one is connected to in some way.
  • As already guessed, it's a fighting game. The second entry in the series.
  • It's a PS1 game.

• Anyone who managed to complete this PS1 game without a guide book (which I used but still found the game to be difficult) or cheats certainly has my respect. Difficulty is mostly derived from the fact that levels are full of deadly traps, as well as lots of timed puzzles that kill you if not completed in time, and it not always being obvious where to go or what to do next, despite levels being very linear.

Could 21 be Tekken 2? Don't know if that's been guessed yet and seems to be a lot of clues for what may be an obvious game.

Getting slight Alundra vibes from 14, but it's been a while since I've played it so my memory is a little foggy

Around the Network

No guesses for these yet, so here'a a third hint for each.

#14:

• The shards of the primordial man's soul influence the fate of great kingdoms.
  • The shards manifest themselves in the form of women, each encompassing one aspect of the primordial man.
  • Said primordial man in a monstrous form was one of the most difficult bosses in the previous game in the series.

#11:

• Junior Bracers.
  • During the game, the two main characters befriend the heir to the kingdom's throne.
  • Ouroboros.

#20Fire Emblem Awakening
guessed byThe_Liquid_Laser
platform3DS
release year2012
developer/publisherIntelligent Systems/Nintendo
genreturn based tactics
linksWikipedia
past years2020: #20, 2019: #20, 2018: #21, 2017: #4

Awakening is one of the reasons why the 3DS is a fantastic system. I like tactics titles and therefore I like Fire Emblem, and Awakening surely is a great Fire Emblem title. Probably a reason why Sakurai included a whole bunch of characters from this games in Smash.

Awakening follows the story of Chrom and his warriors as they fight against the quite of bunch of problems cropping up over time. Your characters becomes their tactician as you control the whole team on the battlefield. The story stretches over multiple years, but also includes the time traveling children of the characters you play, as they come back in time to avoid the dark future.

The game has the tactics gameplay the series is known for and works the formula well. You have some specialties through the teamups. The presentation is pretty good and still helps to keep a good overview of the battle (which is in my opinion very important for this kind of tactical gameplay).

As this game was a very successful title it helped to bring the series more into the spotlight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3U7T-G38olo

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

More games to guess:

#17: Elirium 115 (first game).

#16: Time travel in the john. Guessed by The_Liquid_Laser.

#15: A shrine can revive your horse, if you managed to kill it. Guessed by drbunnig.

#14: Sorry to keep you waiting.

#13: On the first day man was granted a soul and with it clarity.

Last edited by Mnementh - on 14 December 2021

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

Mnementh said:

More games to guess:

#15: A shrine can revive your horse, if you managed to kill it.

Breath of the Wild

Around the Network
drbunnig said:
Mnementh said:

More games to guess:

#15: A shrine can revive your horse, if you managed to kill it.

Breath of the Wild

Correct.

Hoping to clear up my current hints a bit before I start adding more games.

21) On my "CD shelve" this game takes up nearly an entire row.

Hint 2: Not because the box is quite that large, but because there are several of them.

Hint 3: Most of the boxes are expansions.

Hint 4: It's not Sims game.

20) If the protagonist of this game had been playable in Smash Bros. they could have up to 4 different move sets.

Hint 2: 1 "base" and 3 transformations.

Hint 3: There are already character(s) in Smash Bros. that share a name with the particular protag.

Hint 4: This has been equivalent of a trick question, since this character technically is in Smash, only it's him from the previous entry, and thus he doesn't really have moves relating to this game.

19) While this game is in some ways a return to the basics for this series, the additions it makes to your arsenal are some of the more original.

Hint 2: Includes a new mad villain as well as the classic one.

18) Brings a new meaning to twin-stick controls.

Hint 2: It's not Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons, but control-wise there is a similarity.

Hint 3: You essentially control two characters who are bound by...

17) 2019 2020 2021 2022

Hint 2: Obviously the game has been previously released or it wouldn't be on my list, but these dates can be found on the game's website currently.

Hint 3: The dates are for the expanded version of this game which is coming in early 2022, promise.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Machina said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

Hint 2: Not because the box is quite that large, but because there are several of them.

20) If the protagonist of this game had been playable in Smash Bros. they could have up to 4 different move sets.

Hint 3: There are already character(s) in Smash Bros. that share a name with the particular protag.

Hint 4: This has been equivalent of a trick question, since this character technically is in Smash, only it's him from the previous entry, and thus he doesn't really have moves relating to this game.

19) While this game is in some ways a return to the basics for this series, the additions it makes to your arsenal are some of the more original.

Hint 2: It's not Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons, but control-wise there is a similarity.

17) 2019 2020 2021 2022

Hint 2: Obviously the game has been previously released or it wouldn't be on my list, but these dates can be found on the game's website currently.

Hint 3: The dates are for the expanded version of this game which is coming in early 2022, promise.

#17 - The Stanley Parable? (great game btw)

#21 - Sounds like it might be an MMO - World of WarCraft or Final Fantasy XIV?

17) Indeed it is, and correct too

21) Yep, World of Warcraft is right. And I don't even have the last two expansions.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

UnderwaterFunktown said:

17) 2019 2020 2021 2022

18 is Astral Chain

Signature goes here!

mZuzek said:

#17 - It has the best "shut up, shut up, shut up, shut up!!!" line ever delivered.

Metroid Dread?