By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Discussion Thread | The 12th Annual Greatest Games Event

S.Peelman said:

#15: This game was named something else where I live due to trademark issues.

I'll take a stab at one of the Resident Evil games (Biohazard in Japan)... RE2?

Around the Network
TheWalrusCaesar said:
TheWalrusCaesar said:

and now some hints

#19 - the 7th entry in a casual party series that only requires one person to own and host

#18 - a raccoon (well technically not a raccoon but close enough) fucks around in the 3rd dimension

#17 - Just barely released b4 the deadline by 2 days lmao

#16 - The final entry in a game series that also has a TV Show running that is currently on its final season

bumping this in case any1 wants to give some guesses before I give the answers

19: Is there a casual party series other than Mario Party that has seven or more entries? If not then obviously Mario Party 7.

18: Conker’s Bad Fur Day?

drbunnig said:
S.Peelman said:

#15: This game was named something else where I live due to trademark issues.

It’s not Resident Evil. Is RE also because of trademark issues?

coolbeans said:
Farsala said:

24: One of the most pivotal games of all open world games. This game features 3 factions vying for control of the continent.

Bethesda. Jump to increase Acrobatics. Run to increase Athletics. Use a spear to increase spear skills. Use an Axe to increase Axe skills.

In addition to 3 main factions there are other factions like the Fighters Guild, Mages Guild, and the Morag Tong. All of which have fun questlines to complete.

Morrowind

Yes that is right.

Last chance for these, 2 of these games have already been guessed before in this thread.

27: Starting off with a big empire is fine and dandy, at least until possible revolutions happen. You could lose half of your empire in an instant.

So to prevent massive revolutions, you have to make sure to build buildings that increase public order and divy out titles to your top generals.

The more land you get, the more titles. In this game you can take land by attacking adjacent provinces instantly.

26: Having control of the sea, expands trade massively. Having control of land, just looks cool.

Revolution is possible here too, but it is more centralized to certain cities.

When you get a giant empire, there are usually a few other opposing empires. Egypt and someone in Carthage usually, but it is always different.

25: A massive magma titan wants to kill you, and everything in its path.

Okay, actually he doesn't want to kill you. He just kills all normal humans so that special people can live.

The special people are called Conduits.

23: Hacking and slashing is back, this time with a 4th faction.

The 3 original factions, also got more characters. But one faction lost a few characters to the new faction, although I consider them combined to be a massive faction. The 3 original factions were deadlocked in a stalemate war for 43 years.

The 4th faction is known as the Jin.

S.Peelman said:
drbunnig said:

I believe it was changed to Resident Evil because the band Biohazard had the trademark in the west.

My only other guess right now is the FPS Powerslave, which was renamed Exhumed in some regions, which I've heard was possibly because of a trademark issue with Iron Maiden (who have an album called Powerslave).

Around the Network
drbunnig said:
S.Peelman said:

I believe it was changed to Resident Evil because the band Biohazard had the trademark in the west.

My only other guess right now is the FPS Powerslave, which was renamed Exhumed in some regions, which I've heard was possibly because of a trademark issue with Iron Maiden (who have an album called Powerslave).

Interesting, I just thought it was because RE was more marketable than Biohazard or something. But yeah then RE would’ve fit the hint as well.

But it’s also not Powerslave, my game’s much easier to guess than that!

18. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (Nintendo 64 – 1998)

I know this may piss of a lot of people, but to me the Legend of Zelda series only truly came into its own, when it transitioned to 3D. That is not to say anything bad about the preceding four titles, the first of which even made my top 50, mainly due to the free nature and solid combat. But there is something about the puzzle solving, storytelling and the overworld exploration that just feels so much better in 3D. Maybe it is because when you enter a dungeon in 3D, it truly feels like stepping into a separate world, maybe it is because polygonal characters are inherently more relatable than sprites, even if the polygons are low-res and sort of rough to look at. It may also just be that Ocarina of Time is so exceptionally well designed, that the previous entries feel lesser, I don’t know. Whatever it is, Ocarina of Time is my favorite Zelda game, it wasn’t easy to reach that conclusion, but I think the dungeon design is up there with the best in the series, the story is minimalistic, but impactful and has subtext, the World is big enough to feel magnificent, but small enough to feel manageable, and the game does not overstay its welcome like other titles in the series.

S.Peelman said:
TheWalrusCaesar said:

bumping this in case any1 wants to give some guesses before I give the answers

19: Is there a casual party series other than Mario Party that has seven or more entries? If not then obviously Mario Party 7.

19. I think theres only one other and that was the Jackbox Party Pack 7 which was the answer. Good guess tho

18. Nope, should specify it is a man in a raccoon like costume

TheWalrusCaesar said:
S.Peelman said:

Super Mario 3D Land?

drbunnig said:
TheWalrusCaesar said:

Super Mario 3D Land?

Bingo