By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Herman Hulst confirms that PlayStation is not done with acquisitions yet

Tick tock, flip flop.

Around the Network
gtotheunit91 said:
src said:

FF16 - timed exclusive

FF7R - timed exclusive

Forspoken - timed exclusive

Babylon - console exclusive

KH and Nier could also be timed exlcusive.

Pretty much their entire Japanese division is all in on Playstation. How can anyone call this close with Xbox LOL

SE would never sell Crystal Dynamics, they make Tomb Raider an incredibly strong IP.

Sony has $40B in cash. They can buy SE in cash the next day lol

Microsoft could buy Sony and SE the next day, what's your point? lol

This, and the fact that SE is bloated and only has few skillful people left. SE would be a terrible buy, if it weren’t for their legacy IPs, which SE continues to milk and dilute (FF origins lol).

Nothing SE revealed in the last 15 years touches the quality, polish or ambition of FromSoftware or even Capcom games, they’re just not a good third party developer period.

Kyuu said:
mjk45 said:

What needs to be considered is the reason behind any acquisition if it to protect themselves from losing access to 3rd party titles then a full acquisition isn't the only option. they could hold enough stock to prevent a takeover whether that's by owning a 51% stake or make alliances, another strategy would be to lengthen existing publishing deals and for non published content the use of more general contracts based on ensuring future content.

I doubt Sony is gonna pay a few billion dollars for something as humble as securing the mutiplats they're already getting. Would make more sense to add a few more billion dollars and gain 100% the revenue and complete control.

"Okay, Capcom no longer supports our platform because [insert platform-holder] bought them to promote their platform (like Zenimax!). We respond by making all of our Square Enix products exclusive."

It's the shit from nightmares, but not entirely impossible. Gaming is arguably Sony's core business now.

Now neither scenario is ideal but the alternative question is now Ms has started the ball rolling why spend even more billions on one or two companies that you don't really want, only to have things snowball, when you can go a more cost effect route by targeting your resources across a broader number publishers/studios using a range of strategies to secure a larger number titles, especially when you don't know what and where MS may be targeting.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

gtotheunit91 said:
src said:

FF16 - timed exclusive

FF7R - timed exclusive

Forspoken - timed exclusive

Babylon - console exclusive

KH and Nier could also be timed exlcusive.

Pretty much their entire Japanese division is all in on Playstation. How can anyone call this close with Xbox LOL

SE would never sell Crystal Dynamics, they make Tomb Raider an incredibly strong IP.

Sony has $40B in cash. They can buy SE in cash the next day lol

Microsoft could buy Sony and SE the next day, what's your point? lol

I like how you actually pointed out that all the TIMED exclusivity making your point pretty useless lol

I'm obviously not meaning in the same way Sony is, but Square has been bringing a lot of unexpected games to Game Pass, which is great to see a partnership in some capacity. It's pretty awesome seeing Xbox embracing more of the Japanese market. 

Obvious

That you know nothing about mergers and acquisitions.

MS could never buy Sony. Not only would Sony never agree but the JP government would bar it as well. Sony is JP's 3rd biggest company and could soon be 2nd, and has a crucial spot in numerous restricted industries (chips, tech, finance).

LMAO the fact is Sony and Square are closer than they have ever been bar PS1/2 days. They have both agreed on exclusivity on nearly all their JP AAA titles.

Not only that but Xbox misses out on a ton of Square games:

• Secret of Mana
  • Trials of Mana
  • DQ builders
  • DQ Heroes
  • Babylons Falls
  • TWEWY
  • SaGa Frontier
  • FF Chronicles
  • Star Ocean First departure
  • The Last Remnant
  • Chocobo Mystery Dungeon
  • Dissidia
  • Left Alive
  • SaGa Scarlet Grace

Its actually worse. Square does not release their games on Xbox unless MS pays them for it, and even then its only on gamepass.

I repeat, MS now needs to pay Square to release multiplat games on Xbox.

VAMatt said:
brute said:

Square Enix is too big and also it wouldnt make sense for Sony to purchase them when Square releases all its big games with Playstation as the main platform (except maybe DQ but we'll see what the future holds for that).
Xbox has no benefits whatsoever from Square Enix.

Also doesnt Kojima Productions have an upcoming game/deal with Microsoft? I recall hearing something on that around E3.

Sometimes acquisitions take place just to make sure a competitor can't buy the company out from under you.  In a case like that, it could make sense for Sony to buy Square Enix.  But, I doubt we'll see Sony making an acquisition of that size.  It wouldn't surprise me if Microsoft did it though. 

Sony plans to spend $18B on strategic investments in 3 years. SE has a marketcap of $6B. You bet Sony is looking at acquisitions of that size.

I ask dear colleagues, how much is Capcom worth today? And kadokawa (since buying only Fromsoftware would be nearly impossible), how much would the entire Kadokawa conglomerate be worth?

If you ask me... Capcom > Zenimax / From Software > Bethesda Softworks.

Around the Network

Sony has shown no interest in buying massive 3rd parties so I wouldn't worry about it. They have a great relationship with many Japanese publishers and are literally the gateway to their Global success (see Tales of Arise), so there is little to be won by securing whole publishers that they can otherwise just bargain with to get their big guns (FFXVI)

Manlytears said:

I ask dear colleagues, how much is Capcom worth today? And kadokawa (since buying only Fromsoftware would be nearly impossible), how much would the entire Kadokawa conglomerate be worth?

If you ask me... Capcom > Zenimax / From Software > Bethesda Softworks.

SE = 6.31B, Capcom = 5.8B , Bethesda was bough for 7.5B

Kadokawa  = 4B iirc

Otter said:

Sony has shown no interest in buying massive 3rd parties so I wouldn't worry about it. They have a great relationship with many Japanese publishers and are literally the gateway to their Global success (see Tales of Arise), so there is little to be won by securing whole publishers that they can otherwise just bargain with to get their big guns (FFXVI)

The Sony of then is different to Sony now.

Playstation barely made acquisitions in PS3/4. They have bought 5 studios in one year in the PS5 era

Sony is buying billion dollar companies left right center.

This is one year. Add to that Bluepoint, Nixxes, Housemarque, Firesprite, Discord investment....

If people expect Sony not buy billion dollar+ gaming companies then expect to be mistaken. Its not a matter of if, its a matter of when.

Thinking about this more.....

If Sony intends to compete in streaming, they'll need to join in the acquisition race in a big way, so something like SE makes sense. If they don't intend to compete in streaming..... I don't think that's even a real possibility, as that is pretty clearly the way gaming is headed.

I love hearing news like this. When Sony does it, they're basically just putting a ring on the finger of close partners, anyway. I can't remember the last time they bought some company that regularly made cross-platform games or actually did a bunch of stuff for other consoles. Their acquisitions were making second party companies like Sucker Punch and Insomniac into first party studios, not buying major third-party developers and publishers with the express intention of taking stuff away from the competition.

the stuff like that matters.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

twintail said:
VAMatt said:

Thinking about this more.....

If Sony intends to compete in streaming, they'll need to join in the acquisition race in a big way, so something like SE makes sense. If they don't intend to compete in streaming..... I don't think that's even a real possibility, as that is pretty clearly the way gaming is headed.

PS5 hardware and software sales suggest that Sony doesn't need to jump all in at streaming at all for at least the rest of this gen. Long-term viability may be there, and it's something I hope becomes the norm, but there's no need for Sony to move quickly into it. Regardless, they can't until they can set aside PS5-like hardware for their PS Now servers: that's not easy atm.

Having SE doesn't necessarily make streaming a more viable option for them: the amount of staff, the amount of money needed to finance titles like FF (especially when SE is working on many many games simultaneously) is not going to be easy to recoup. I highly doubt Sony would recoup the money they invest in their current 16 studios via streaming, let alone the addition of SE.

The point is that streaming needs lots of content.  More exclusive content than consoles need, by the way things are looking.  It is clear that MS is planning to have a lot of it.  So, Sony will likely want to make some big moves to get more big, established IP into their control.  Everyone seems to be thinking that at least one of the other tech giants is going to get into the AAA streaming business.  Sony doesn't have nearly as deep of pockets as the Googles, Tencents, and Amazons of the world.  But, they do have a lot of their own content that gives them a leg up on some of those names.  They'd certainly like to get more content wrapped up though, before even more money flows into the sector driving up the price of pubs and devs further.