By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Deathloop is Great Apparently (88 Metacritic) - We Have to Talk About It

Tagged games:

So Deathloop, the FPS game that Sony has loved to show off at every opportunity since the PS5 was revealed actually released to strong critical reviews.

Currently it has a 88 on Metacritic with 80+ reviews: https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-5/deathloop?ref=hp

The game is available on PC and PS5. Sony partnered with Bethesda and Arkane Studios to bring the game as a console launch exclusive. The deal was in place before Microsoft acquired the publisher and developer. It is expected that the game will eventually release on Xbox down the line. The future of the series on PS consoles is unclear though.

I know many were growing tired of how much attention Sony was paying to the game in presentations but color me surprised that it is supposedly good. The PS5 is lacking in big exclusives this holiday season so it sort of makes sense that they would try to hype this up while they have it.

What are your thoughts? Will you give Deathloop a try on PC or PS5. When do you think it will come to Xbox. Has anyone played it yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Around the Network

I got it on PC and it has.......bad optimization lol which is a damn shame because I am thoroughly enjoying the game. Although I wouldn't say it has the same sense of exploration and immersion as previous Arkane games. There's even been several times where I've run into invisible walls but that may just be from a bug. At worst, the game micro-stutters and there's a lot of jankiness, even on high end systems. Many blame the anti-tamper software, Denuvo, but the issues appear to be primarily tied to the game engine Deathloop was built on. It uses the same Void Engine that Dishonored 2 used which was notorious for how much of a nightmare the game was to play on PC, even to this day in many respects.

So I can't say I could recommend the game on PC at this time, although I've read that the devs are working on fixing the PC version. Give it about 6 months and I'm sure it'll be in a much more buttery smooth state. I can't comment on the PS5 version, though.

On positives though, the soundtrack is a banger, the banter between Colt and Julianna feels genuine and funny, the weapons feel great to shoot, love the combination of Dishonored and Prey gameplay, and the combinations you can use to upgrade your weapons and abilities is a lot fun to toy around with. Which is what makes a great Arkane game.

Again Deathloop for me is one of those perfect game pass game; I never played Dishonored and from what I have seen so far there just no way I would pay full retail to give this game a chance.

It's annoying that as a market leader Sony keep getting away with console launch exclusive and there isn't enough backlash to make the exclusive window known to the public.

Waiting a year or more to play this game would suck but knowing when it does come to Xbox, it will be available on Game pass make me more than happy to just wait. I think for any multi console owners or even PS5 owners with a good gaming PC. It's hard to justify full retail price for this game. What a weird world one of the best PS5 console exclusive this year is actually owned by Microsoft.

I don't think Sony is getting their moneys worth for signing a console launch exclusive on this one even if the game turn out to be really good.

I would give it a try but from what I heard, it has horrible optimization issues on PC. So I may play it when it goes on sale and issues have been fixed. I do have a PS5 but I don't like to buy third party games on it unless it's something I am super hyped for like FFVIIR and it's not available on PC.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Arkane somehow managed to fuck up their PC version yet again. DH2 suffered the same issues way back in 2016, and now with Deathloop. I've watched a few reviews and tbh, it doesn't sound all that interesting of a game (It's even got some powers ripped straight from DH and the AI is nearly braindead at a distance) I'd want to buy.

I might buy it a few years later at a discount, provided Arkane gets their shit together.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network
gtotheunit91 said:

I got it on PC and it has.......bad optimization lol which is a damn shame because I am thoroughly enjoying the game. Although I wouldn't say it has the same sense of exploration and immersion as previous Arkane games. There's even been several times where I've run into invisible walls but that may just be from a bug. At worst, the game micro-stutters and there's a lot of jankiness, even on high end systems. Many blame the anti-tamper software, Denuvo, but the issues appear to be primarily tied to the game engine Deathloop was built on. It uses the same Void Engine that Dishonored 2 used which was notorious for how much of a nightmare the game was to play on PC, even to this day in many respects.

So I can't say I could recommend the game on PC at this time, although I've read that the devs are working on fixing the PC version. Give it about 6 months and I'm sure it'll be in a much more buttery smooth state. I can't comment on the PS5 version, though.

On positives though, the soundtrack is a banger, the banter between Colt and Julianna feels genuine and funny, the weapons feel great to shoot, love the combination of Dishonored and Prey gameplay, and the combinations you can use to upgrade your weapons and abilities is a lot fun to toy around with. Which is what makes a great Arkane game.

I've heard people say thats why you should get it on the PS5 instead (performance issues on pc).
Others have said, its about updateing old nvidia drivers, newer ones supposedly fix the microstutter for geforce users.
I think this is just one of those PC issues, where because there are so many differnt builds, GPU, CPU, MBs ect, and drivers, some just dont have issues, and others do.

JRPGfan said:

I've heard people say thats why you should get it on the PS5 instead (performance issues on pc).
Others have said, its about updateing old nvidia drivers, newer ones supposedly fix the microstutter for geforce users.
I think this is just one of those PC issues, where because there are so many differnt builds, GPU, CPU, MBs ect, and drivers, some just dont have issues, and others do.

It's their engine. They had the same exact issues way back in 2016 as they do now.

It's not really a PC thing, the devs just chugged along with their engine not being properly tuned.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

I'll wait a few months because of perfomance issues on PC.

Won't get a PS5 just for this game. Even if I had the chance to get one, lol. The game looks promising though.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

10/10 from IGN and Gamespot. That really suprised me. Gameranx really enjoyed it too. Probably not my cup of tea but glad this game turned out good. Seems like the dev took some risks to the FPS formula and they paid off. Great work.

It looks like the game is really good, 88 is a wonderful score, unfortunately i think it's going to be a huge commercial flop.
Why, you ask? Apparently there are a considerable number of people saying they will only play on Xbox (within 1 year) and use Gamepass... Amazes me that there are people from Xbox community advertising and advising others to wait 1 year!
Maybe I'm wrong and everything will end well for this game ( yeah, i hope i'm wrong on this one), but the effect of all this "wait 1 year..."/ " wait and play on gamepass..." is bad!? i fear this game will end up as a game that sold poorly and arrived "1 year too late" on the Gamepass...