By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Deathloop is Great Apparently (88 Metacritic) - We Have to Talk About It

Tagged games:

Manlytears said:

It looks like the game is really good, 88 is a wonderful score, unfortunately i think it's going to be a huge commercial flop.
Why, you ask? Apparently there are a considerable number of people saying they will only play on Xbox (within 1 year) and use Gamepass... Amazes me that there are people from Xbox community advertising and advising others to wait 1 year!
Maybe I'm wrong and everything will end well for this game ( yeah, i hope i'm wrong on this one), but the effect of all this "wait 1 year..."/ " wait and play on gamepass..." is bad!? i fear this game will end up as a game that sold poorly and arrived "1 year too late" on the Gamepass...

There are twice as many PS5 users than Xbox users so far, and Xbox game sales aren't known to be blockbuster anyway, so I don't think it will have an impact, since the game is a timed exclusive.

Unlike Outriders, where the developer kinda blamed the Game Pass deal for not breaking even (and not considering the game was buggy and bad in the first place)

Around the Network
SKMBlake said:
Manlytears said:

It looks like the game is really good, 88 is a wonderful score, unfortunately i think it's going to be a huge commercial flop.
Why, you ask? Apparently there are a considerable number of people saying they will only play on Xbox (within 1 year) and use Gamepass... Amazes me that there are people from Xbox community advertising and advising others to wait 1 year!
Maybe I'm wrong and everything will end well for this game ( yeah, i hope i'm wrong on this one), but the effect of all this "wait 1 year..."/ " wait and play on gamepass..." is bad!? i fear this game will end up as a game that sold poorly and arrived "1 year too late" on the Gamepass...

There are twice as many PS5 users than Xbox users so far, and Xbox game sales aren't known to be blockbuster anyway, so I don't think it will have an impact, since the game is a timed exclusive.

Unlike Outriders, where the developer kinda blamed the Game Pass deal for not breaking even (and not considering the game was buggy and bad in the first place)

I'd like to add another concern that could have a negative impact on sales, Fanboy tribalism.
It's not enough to see people in the Xbox field saying to wait 1 year, there are people in the Playstation field saying they won't invest because the game was made by a "MS studio" and, therefore, the franchise has no future on Playstation.
It seems to me that there are some complicating factors around this game, much to the developer's misfortune.

When I first saw I was interested, then I grow bored. The score is certainly higher than what I was expecting after the several presentations. Still not my type of game, but going by the reception it is a good game for the FPS gamers out there.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

SKMBlake said:
Manlytears said:

Outriders is far from a bad game. It’s actually quite solid and very enjoyable with a friend or two. Also the developer didn’t blame Game Pass at all, they blamed Square’s policy on sharing information on deals like GamePass. So the developer has no idea if the game has broken even or not or how many copies it has sold because Square isn’t telling them. Square thinks the deal was good for the game because it helped it exceed their expectations at launch. The problem for the cane sales wise is that it very much is not a GaaS game and there’s no reason for someone who has experienced the entire game to keep coming back for substantial engagement or monetization. It’s not Destiny where there are loads of MTX or rotating content and DLC.

As for Deathloop, my plan was to buy it on PC but with all the issues, I’ll wait for a good sale and I’ll play through the single player on it. I’ll give it a full MP dive when it launches on Series X.

This type of thing is not my cup of tea and the time loop thing tends to make things repetitive. However, all the power to the game and everyone who enjoys it. Hope it's a success.

Around the Network
Manlytears said:
SKMBlake said:

I'd like to add another concern that could have a negative impact on sales, Fanboy tribalism.
It's not enough to see people in the Xbox field saying to wait 1 year, there are people in the Playstation field saying they won't invest because the game was made by a "MS studio" and, therefore, the franchise has no future on Playstation.
It seems to me that there are some complicating factors around this game, much to the developer's misfortune.

And also that all Bethesda games quickly end up being sold for 7.49$ within 3 months so no point buying it day one

I'm not exactly sure why people are surprised this game is great. Arkane hasn't released a bad game yet, and Deathloop always looked solid every time I saw it. A nice blend of dishonored, but more action packed.

I've been interested in this game since the first trailer. In fact, it was the only game that had me truly interested in the new generation until RE8 arrived. I haven't seen the DF or IGN reviews yet but I'm glad to hear that it's scoring well. If I had a PS5 I'd buy it without hesitation. Looks great.

Well I am a gamepass owner and I have honestly a ton to play at the moment (I almost feel like I need to take a break of gaming) so I will wait till it relases on gamepass and probably end up playing it way later than it's original gamepass release ^^'.

Manlytears said:
SKMBlake said:

I think you're looking it at a enthusiasts POV (actively looking on forums/social media/YT etc) and that doesn't necessitate on how an average video game consumer looks when buying a new video game. The bigger factor is that this game is heavily marketed as a roguelike game (which is niche in itself) and that the graphics and art style quite unremarkable. That and recent Arkane games aren't really mass market games.

Personally, I had no interest in the game with the initial trailers but upon looking at some reviews it does make me want to pick it up at some point. Just waiting on them to fix the performance issues on PC first.

About missing exclusives this holiday, while it makes for a nice check list.. I don't think it really matters at the end of the year. With BF2042, CoD Vanguard and FIFA 2022 coming in the space of a couple/few months. And tbh this year has been pretty slow with game releases for all platforms, with next year looking to be a real banger in terms of content.

Last edited by hinch - on 16 September 2021