By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Deathloop is Great Apparently (88 Metacritic) - We Have to Talk About It

Tagged games:

Manlytears said:
SKMBlake said:

There are twice as many PS5 users than Xbox users so far, and Xbox game sales aren't known to be blockbuster anyway, so I don't think it will have an impact, since the game is a timed exclusive.

Unlike Outriders, where the developer kinda blamed the Game Pass deal for not breaking even (and not considering the game was buggy and bad in the first place)

I'd like to add another concern that could have a negative impact on sales, Fanboy tribalism.
It's not enough to see people in the Xbox field saying to wait 1 year, there are people in the Playstation field saying they won't invest because the game was made by a "MS studio" and, therefore, the franchise has no future on Playstation.
It seems to me that there are some complicating factors around this game, much to the developer's misfortune.

And also that all Bethesda games quickly end up being sold for 7.49$ within 3 months so no point buying it day one

"Quagmire, are you the type of guy who takes 'no' for an answer ?"
"My lawyer doesn't allow me to answer that question"

PSN ID: skmblake | Feel free to add me

Around the Network

I wouldn't be too worried about sales, seems to be selling just fine so far. On Amazon US it sold out of it's initial shipment yesterday, while it made it to #1 on Gamestop's US website and #4 on Amazon UK. Not sure how well it is doing in other countries, but it definitely seems to be doing well in the US and UK at least. Consider that Arkane's Dishonored 2 released in November 2016, when the combined PS4/XB1 install base was 70m, and yet it only managed to move 425k physical copies first week according to VGC data. Meanwhile Deathloop is releasing as a PS5 exclusive, no PS4, and no Xbox for another year, and the PS5 install base is only 11m currently, only about 1/7th of the install base that Dishonored 2 had access to at launch. Considering that, the US and UK performance for Deathloop seems like it will be pretty strong. 

I'm not exactly sure why people are surprised this game is great. Arkane hasn't released a bad game yet, and Deathloop always looked solid every time I saw it. A nice blend of dishonored, but more action packed.

twintail said:
Bandorr said:

Many think it will be a year of temporary exclusivity. However tracing this back I only found "At least a year of".

It also feels like very Xbox game is finally coming out in 2022. It will be an absolute deluge of games. So there is a good chance that a year later Deathloop will be forgotten or ignored.

PS5 has already released three next-gen games. Yet they also released the first Xbox next-gen as well. Infact they released it before Xbox has even has announced a release date. That pays for itself.

I watched someone play it. It looked fine. But it made me just want to play Dishonored instead. I have no interest in invading or being invaded.

I may check it out again when I'm done with Tales and Kena.

You can turn invasions off and just have an easy ai instead

Neat. I do that also with dark souls/demon/blood etc.

• Deadliest mass shooting by an individual in US history (10/01/2017)
  • Deadliest high school shooting in US history (02/14/2018)
  • Deadliest massacre of Jews in US history (10/27/2018)
  • Political assassination attempt of TWO former presidents(and 10+ other people)  (10/23/2018 - and beyond)

I've been interested in this game since the first trailer. In fact, it was the only game that had me truly interested in the new generation until RE8 arrived. I haven't seen the DF or IGN reviews yet but I'm glad to hear that it's scoring well. If I had a PS5 I'd buy it without hesitation. Looks great.

Around the Network

Well I am a gamepass owner and I have honestly a ton to play at the moment (I almost feel like I need to take a break of gaming) so I will wait till it relases on gamepass and probably end up playing it way later than it's original gamepass release ^^'.

Manlytears said:
SKMBlake said:

There are twice as many PS5 users than Xbox users so far, and Xbox game sales aren't known to be blockbuster anyway, so I don't think it will have an impact, since the game is a timed exclusive.

Unlike Outriders, where the developer kinda blamed the Game Pass deal for not breaking even (and not considering the game was buggy and bad in the first place)

I'd like to add another concern that could have a negative impact on sales, Fanboy tribalism.
It's not enough to see people in the Xbox field saying to wait 1 year, there are people in the Playstation field saying they won't invest because the game was made by a "MS studio" and, therefore, the franchise has no future on Playstation.
It seems to me that there are some complicating factors around this game, much to the developer's misfortune.

I think you're looking it at a enthusiasts POV (actively looking on forums/social media/YT etc) and that doesn't necessitate on how an average video game consumer looks when buying a new video game. The bigger factor is that this game is heavily marketed as a roguelike game (which is niche in itself) and that the graphics and art style quite unremarkable. That and recent Arkane games aren't really mass market games.

Personally, I had no interest in the game with the initial trailers but upon looking at some reviews it does make me want to pick it up at some point. Just waiting on them to fix the performance issues on PC first.

About missing exclusives this holiday, while it makes for a nice check list.. I don't think it really matters at the end of the year. With BF2042, CoD Vanguard and FIFA 2022 coming in the space of a couple/few months. And tbh this year has been pretty slow with game releases for all platforms, with next year looking to be a real banger in terms of content.

Last edited by hinch - on 16 September 2021

SKMBlake said:
Manlytears said:

It looks like the game is really good, 88 is a wonderful score, unfortunately i think it's going to be a huge commercial flop.
Why, you ask? Apparently there are a considerable number of people saying they will only play on Xbox (within 1 year) and use Gamepass... Amazes me that there are people from Xbox community advertising and advising others to wait 1 year!
Maybe I'm wrong and everything will end well for this game ( yeah, i hope i'm wrong on this one), but the effect of all this "wait 1 year..."/ " wait and play on gamepass..." is bad!? i fear this game will end up as a game that sold poorly and arrived "1 year too late" on the Gamepass...

You're not taking into account those that play on mobile and on PC. I have friends that use Game Pass Ultimate and only play on their smartphones and tablets, then there's those that only play Game Pass on PC......the Xbox ecosystem userbase is much larger than you're giving it credit for, and is only going to keep growing.

And actually Square Enix straight hasn't payed the developer without an explanation, leading to speculation that Square just pocketed the Game Pass deal money and the developers only get profit from straight sales, which some could blame Game Pass for that, but it was released on PC, Stadia, PS4/PS5 as well. With that much of a userbase, it shouldn't have had much of an issue making a profit on a multiplat. 

Look at MLB: The Show 21 which was Game Pass day 1. Profits escalated dramatically for Sony, which I'll attach a story for. I can't seem to find up-to-date numbers, but as of July 28th, 4 million copies were sold. 2 million copies were on PS4/PS5 and the other 2 million copies were on Xbone and Series X/S. Not bad for a console lineup that is dramatically lower in install base. MLB The Show 21 Xbox Release Has Been Huge for Sony Profits (gamerant.com)

Last edited by gtotheunit91 - on 16 September 2021

gtotheunit91 said:
SKMBlake said:

You're not taking into account those that play on mobile and on PC. I have friends that use Game Pass Ultimate and only play on their smartphones and tablets, then there's those that only play Game Pass on PC......the Xbox ecosystem userbase is much larger than you're giving it credit for, and is only going to keep growing.

And actually Square Enix straight hasn't payed the developer without an explanation, leading to speculation that Square just pocketed the Game Pass deal money and the developers only get profit from straight sales, which some could blame Game Pass for that, but it was released on PC, Stadia, PS4/PS5 as well. It shouldn't have had much of an issue making a profit with that type of multiplat userbase. 

Look at MLB: The Show 21 which was Game Pass day 1. Profits escalated dramatically for Sony, which I'll attach a story for. I can't seem to find up-to-date numbers, but as of July 28th, 4 million copies were sold. 2 million copies were on PS4/PS5 and the other 2 million copies were on Xbone and Series X/S. Not bad for a console lineup that is dramatically lower in install base. MLB The Show 21 Xbox Release Has Been Huge for Sony Profits (gamerant.com)

I think you are mixing sales with playerbase on the MLB, but will check the link you posted.

EDIT: looked at the source, and it is a tremendous clickbait, basically they are trying to put 4 different bullets together and conclude that GP may have somewhat contributed to sales (even though Sony talks about sales add-on, and that they released the title on more platforms, nowhere mentioning sales improving due to GP) but for the title they go leaps above to conclude that MLB have been huge for Sony profits. It would be impossible to be more reaching even if they tried.

Last edited by DonFerrari - on 16 September 2021

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
gtotheunit91 said:

And actually Square Enix straight hasn't payed the developer without an explanation, leading to speculation that Square just pocketed the Game Pass deal money and the developers only get profit from straight sales, which some could blame Game Pass for that, but it was released on PC, Stadia, PS4/PS5 as well. It shouldn't have had much of an issue making a profit with that type of multiplat userbase. 

I think you are mixing sales with playerbase on the MLB, but will check the link you posted.

Yeah, I actually misread that lol specifically the words were, "Of its 4 million players, MLB The Show 21 sold two million copies on PS5 and PS4, with the other half coming on Xbox Series X/S and Xbox One" I missed the "4 million PLAYERS" part lol but the game on Xbox definitely did bring Sony more profit of the game.