By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware August 8-14 - PS5 and Switch Sales Rise

curl-6 said:
yo33331 said:

Again though normally nintendo consoles peak period are way stronger than sony's .. so this is not a factor for anything, cuz usually nintendo consoles also fall off way faster from the sony's consoles and also have shorter life. (Like I said usually, the PS4 and PS3 are exceptions from post successor sales because Sony decides so.) But again they still have long life. We will see for the switch but just because it is doing better peak numbers doesnt mean much. DS also did double the numbers PS2 sis but DS came shorter 4M of the PS2 total numbers  So this is not a factor

Again though, Switch is far from a "normal" Nintendo console.

Bottom line, 324k in August with no major release and a new model around the corner, in its 5th year, is not indicative of any kind of cliff or collapse.

This. Mic drop

Around the Network

140M LT is the minimum for the Switch.

So y'all gonna keep predicting the cliff week over week until it happens some day and say : hah! told'ya....?
Things are decently constant numbers for switch. It happened that some weeks sold astronomical numbers but this doesn't mean that sales between 300k and 400k are bad and alarming. Like seriously?
Actually, sales will keep decreasing constantly, and that's how logically things should happen. So unless nintendo decides to cut switch's legs with a successor announcement, there (theoretically) won't be any cliffs soon.

yo33331 said:

You are all right about the cliff. It's not here. Yet..
I am expecting starting next year the sales to be down to ~250k weekly and below that further in the year. From there the cliff will be present.
This year for sure will be still a very good number for Switch. Around 25M.

It would only be a cliff if it would suddenly start struggling to sell over 200k weekly next year after being mostly over 300k this year.

You're describing a rather gradual decline.

Well, by next year March, the Switch will be 5 years old. So I wouldn't be surprised if sales begins to decline, but that would be normal, since the system is getting old..

But I think Pokémon Legends: Arceus, Splatoon 3, Breath of the Wild 2 and other releases may keep the high sales, even if not for very long. And if we do see a Switch successor by 2023, at least in my opinion, it will be safe to say that the cliff never came.

Around the Network
yo33331 said:

You are all right about the cliff. It's not here. Yet..
I am expecting starting next year the sales to be down to ~250k weekly and below that further in the year. From there the cliff will be present.
This year for sure will be still a very good number for Switch. Around 25M.

That’s not a cliff, that’s a wheelchair ramp.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

yo33331 said:
curl-6 said:

Again though, Switch is far from a "normal" Nintendo console.

Bottom line, 324k in August with no major release and a new model around the corner, in its 5th year, is not indicative of any kind of cliff or collapse.

Yet..

All systems decline eventually. It's only a cliff if the decline is catastrophic. You can't keep predicting it endlessly then saying you're right when Switch inevitably winds down.

Out of curiosity, what's your predictions for lifetime Switch sales, and when do you expect its successor to launch?

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023. (And over 130 million lifetime)

NS still the strongest, even PS5 manages to get closer just every now and then. And until components supplies get back to normality, it doesn't make sense for Sony to cut price, so NS domination could continue until it starts saturating its potential user base.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

yo33331 said:
Kakadu18 said:

It would only be a cliff if it would suddenly start struggling to sell over 200k weekly next year after being mostly over 300k this year.

You're describing a rather gradual decline.

No I am not. The cliff is that the next year will be 15M for the year. It is a cliff from 25M this year.

Also I stated that will do 250k weekly in the beginning of the year, but going further will fall to probably 200k and maybe 150k in the summer.

It can't go from 300k to 150k suddenly .. Heck even the PS4 with the big cliff it didn't went from 250k to 80k suddenly .. It went doing 200k and almost 200k in 2019 to doing 150-180k in 2020, to doing 100k before the holidays, to making 80-50k for the first half of this year .. so it's again gradually and it's again accounted for a cliff.

so your prediction is 15M sold for switch in 2022? Ok, im quoting this! Good luck

Alby_da_Wolf said:

NS still the strongest, even PS5 manages to get closer just every now and then. And until components supplies get back to normality, it doesn't make sense for Sony to cut price, so NS domination could continue until it starts saturating its potential user base.

Someone sugested a price cut?

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.