By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware August 8-14 - PS5 and Switch Sales Rise

The Switch and the Playstation and Xbox consoles are not in direct competition. PS and Xbox having shortages doesn't lead to higher Switch sales by 3-5mil.

Regardless of that, the Switch also has production shortages. If the other two didn't have them, the Switch wouldn't either and all three consoles would sell more.
Without shortages I'm confident that both the Switch and PS5 would be able to sell 23-25mil units this year without impacting each other in any significant way.

But that's not the case. They have shortages. Therefore the Switch is not going to sell much more than 21mil and the PS5, having even bigger shortages, won't come close to 20mil.

Around the Network

Holy shit, yo still thinks PS/XB sales have any impact on Nintendo!?!?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

yo33331 said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

So it's only about your "if", in other words, in reality, both of your predictions are wrong.

Yes. That's right. The prediction I did was with "if". However since the condition haven't been met, you have to look at the other prediction, where I've included one of the two posibilities happening .. with stock issues present - 20M I have predicted. And this year I further detailed this prediction to 18 to 20M for the switch based on the current situation. (which again if for some reason Nintendo make pricecut this year to Switch then as I already said last year, can see the Switch reach close to 25M units, however only with the help of a pricecut, if not then 18 to 20M).

So in other word my prediction about the situation what is happening now was 20M from last year. If there weren't stock issues with PS5 and XBSX then my prediction would still be 15 to 18M. If for some reason soon pricecut happens then my prediction is becoming between 20 and 25M. I am making predictions on concrete scenarios. I am not predicting what scenarios (stock issues/pricecut/pro model) will happen (only numbers for each of them). That's why there is if for every one of them. Because the numbers of course will be different for each one of them.

And no, in reality my predictions are not wrong. First of all to call it wrong or right we have to end the year first, since the predictions were for the full year not only until month of may. Second there were conditions. The one prediction you can say wrong or right will be most likely be that 20M one (with no pricecut but stock issues present for PS5 and XBSX) which is on the way to happen. And even this one you can say wrong or right at december 31st (or even end of january as then will be when we will get the final numbers for 2022). So don't try to get ahead of time. I don't know why even someone bother to start the discussion in may ..

The PS4 in its prime had no effect on Switch sales.  Why would supply of PS5 have any effect on Switch sales now?