By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you plan to buy a Switch OLED model?

Do you plan to buy a Switch OLED model?

Yes, and it will be my first Switch 39 4.48%

Yes, and I already own a Switch/Switch Lite 133 15.27%

No, I am still not interested in any Switch 128 14.70%

No, I am happy with my Switch/Switch Lite 349 40.07%

I am still undecided 67 7.69%

All I wanted was a Switch Pro 155 17.80%

Total:871
TruckOSaurus said:

No, the only thing that might entice me is the ethernet port but even then I don't think being on a wired connection would improve Smash's online by much.

Well, at least they add ports rather than take them away!

Around the Network

No since it's too weak for my liking.

For the bonus I've seen it be suggested that the insiders might've conflated the OLED model with the Switch 2 which would make sense since they basically got every detail right aside from the power increase and DLSS so I doubt those aspects were just made up.

I want one, but unsure because my main launch Switch never leaves the dock. I do 95% of mobile gaming on the Lite.

WoodenPints said:

No, My Switch never leaves the dock so this does nothing for me.

My wife and I share our Switch, but I exclusively play games on it docked (Mario games, Zelda, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 ... Metroid Prime 4 some day in the distance future lol) and she almost exclusively plays it portable (Animal Crossing: New Horizons and Luigi's Mansion 3 multiplayer). So, yeah, I am going to continue to wait until the mythical New Switch/Switch Pro is released, so that we are both gaining something out of it.

It's been less than a week I think since the announcement? That means I can still celebrate the announcement right? Seriously, the fact that they are releasing such a small increase in features on their next iteration, and the fact that it doesn't have a "New" or "XL" or "Pro" tells me that Nintendo is serious about ending the Switch life and moving unto Switch 2 in 2023 (hopefully March, 6 years later). OLED Switch is very much in line with what their previous final iterations did on older devices, so we should also expect Switch 2 to come out after the typical window (which is roughly 2 years after final iteration of any device). If we got what so many wanted (some 4k Pro, a way more powerful upgrade than Nintendo normally would do), we'd all be ticked off that in 2023 and probably 2024 we are all playing on mostly 2017 technology. Let their "pro" be a slight upgrade for new buyers and the people that always want the best of the best so that we can ALL get a PROPER next gen Nintendo device in 2023 and not 1 or 2 years after.

There is no way Nintendo would have made the Pro so many wanted and not kept it out for 3-4 years as the way to play its games. It would have been way too expensive to build, and all the developers taking advantage of its tech would have not made enough sales off of the limited amount of Switch Pros that would have sold had it only been on the market for 2 years. We'd all be miserable in 2 years time if some of you got what you wanted. Forget the Switch Pro, all about the Switch 2!

Around the Network

Not getting it. Doesn't change or improve how I play Switch games currently. - That and I don't feel like having to get rid of all my current accessories as well. (Battery life extender, cases and so on.)

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Yes, later. 

I might look into it if N will have an option to unlock the X1 to full speed like home brew hacks.

That should include a slightly increased cooler & fan. The new dock has these enlarged ventilation holes and that might indicate the need for better cooling.

My guess is still no.

numberwang said:

I might look into it if N will have an option to unlock the X1 to full speed like home brew hacks.

That should include a slightly increased cooler & fan. The new dock has these enlarged ventilation holes and that might indicate the need for better cooling.

My guess is still no.

Yea DF got a hold of the dev sheet and the internals are all identical to a normal switch.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

There is zero chance of me buying any new Switch unless my existing one breaks. We can now confidently say that there's not going to be a mid-gen upgrade of significance until 2022 at the earliest, which would be 5+ years from launch. I doubt that the Switch successor will launch later than 2024. So, any upgraded Switch will only be the top of the line system for two years. Not worth the investment.