By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you plan to buy a Switch OLED model?

Do you plan to buy a Switch OLED model?

Yes, and it will be my first Switch 39 4.48%

Yes, and I already own a Switch/Switch Lite 133 15.29%

No, I am still not interested in any Switch 128 14.71%

No, I am happy with my Switch/Switch Lite 349 40.11%

I am still undecided 67 7.70%

All I wanted was a Switch Pro 154 17.70%

Total:870

Regarding the Bonus question. I think one of 3 things:

1) The earliest iteration of the Switch OLED did used a new chip but because of the continued chip shortage and the high demand for the base Switch, Nintendo kept to the core Switch internals and sought to just increase their profit margins versus trying to increase hardware sales for a more radical evolution.

2) The Switch Pro still exists but will take a diifferent form, later in the Switches life. Maybe it'll be a standalone dock sold for $199.

3) The rumours were based on early iterations of Switch 2 which Nintendo is internally targeting for 2023 (based their annual report projecting 2020 to be the Switch's peak/FY ending 21)

Around the Network

Have only Switch lite, so I'm probably gonna upgrade to OLED model. Still was expecting a little more power and/or more pixels out of the new model.

RolStoppable said:

After last week's announcement of the new Switch OLED model that comes with an OLED screen (duh), 64 GB of internal memory and a few other small extras for the price of $350, it's only fitting to make it the topic of a poll.

Bonus question: What do you think was the cause for all the insiders in the past six months to report on a more powerful Switch revision and why did they all get it so wrong?

I am still happy with my current Switch, but 'All I wanted was a Switch Pro' is exactly the category for me.

As to the bonus question I see one of two possibilities.
1. There actually is a Switch Pro in the works that will release in 2022. This OLED model will be the new base model moving forward and will drop to $300 when the new Switch Pro debuts with same upgrades, plus better internal specs, sometime next year.

2. Nintendo is hard at work on the Switch 2 and some early plans for it were mistaken for reports on the OLED model by 'insiders'.

no reason to get it since I play docked

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

No - happy to stick with the original Switch.

Around the Network

Switch that I own right now is only 5 months old and I only played 4 games on it as I sold the old one I had since 2017, I might end up doing it again and then I will buy the OLED other than that I am happy with the one I own right now

Nope. I wanted a proper Switch Pro that could improve graphics, resolution, and performance issues on games. Instead we got the slightest of upgrades for $50 more.

Possibly.

I play 99% mobile right now curtesy of not owning a TV worth that name (my PC screen has 27" 1440p while my TV has 32" 720p and is more like a back-up for my wife so she can watch Netflix), so the improvements are something that I could use quite a bit.

The question however would be what to do with the old one. I might give it to my nephew, but since he's only playing mobile too, I originally wanted to buy him a lite model at a later point.

As such, it's a wait and see situation. If nothing new gets announced until the end of next year, then I'll buy the OLED version, else it depends of course on what gets announced, but probably that one then.

shikamaru317 said:

Nope. I wanted a proper Switch Pro that could improve graphics, resolution, and performance issues on games. Instead we got the slightest of upgrades for $50 more.

You will be happy they didn't do that in 2023 when they release the Switch 2. If they really pushed the Pro like that, no way they cut its life short before Nintendo could maximize profits by selling its more powerful software lineup that costed more to develop. We'd probably have to wait until 2024-2025 for Switch 2 if we got an actual Pro. Forget about the Pro, look forward to Switch 2 :)

shikamaru317 said:

Edit - Double post, please delete.