By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you plan to buy a Switch OLED model?

Do you plan to buy a Switch OLED model?

Yes, and it will be my first Switch 39 4.48%

Yes, and I already own a Switch/Switch Lite 133 15.27%

No, I am still not interested in any Switch 128 14.70%

No, I am happy with my Switch/Switch Lite 349 40.07%

I am still undecided 67 7.69%

All I wanted was a Switch Pro 155 17.80%

Total:871
shikamaru317 said:

Nope. I wanted a proper Switch Pro that could improve graphics, resolution, and performance issues on games. Instead we got the slightest of upgrades for $50 more.

You will be happy they didn't do that in 2023 when they release the Switch 2. If they really pushed the Pro like that, no way they cut its life short before Nintendo could maximize profits by selling its more powerful software lineup that costed more to develop. We'd probably have to wait until 2024-2025 for Switch 2 if we got an actual Pro. Forget about the Pro, look forward to Switch 2 :)

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:

Nope. I wanted a proper Switch Pro that could improve graphics, resolution, and performance issues on games. Instead we got the slightest of upgrades for $50 more.

Edit - Double post, please delete.

Dulfite said:
shikamaru317 said:

You will be happy they didn't do that in 2023 when they release the Switch 2. If they really pushed the Pro like that, no way they cut its life short before Nintendo could maximize profits by selling its more powerful software lineup that costed more to develop. We'd probably have to wait until 2024-2025 for Switch 2 if we got an actual Pro. Forget about the Pro, look forward to Switch 2 :)

Nintendo said they wanted a longer than normal generation and releasing a Switch 2 in 2023 would be a pretty standard console life cycle. I think we're going to be waiting until 2024-2025 regardless, so I would certainly like a Pro to tide me over until we get the next gen Switch.

psychicscubadiver said:
Dulfite said:

Nintendo said they wanted a longer than normal generation and releasing a Switch 2 in 2023 would be a pretty standard console life cycle. I think we're going to be waiting until 2024-2025 regardless, so I would certainly like a Pro to tide me over until we get the next gen Switch.

If it was a "regardless" situation, sure. But I think, if Switch 2 is planning to release 2024/2025 with the OLED coming October 2021, then if they had a Pro coming in 2021 instead of OLED that date would get pushed back to probably 2025/2026 for Switch 2, which would suck. If they make more powerful games that run exclusively on Switch Pro to take advantage of its hardware, they will need time for enough people to get Switch Pros in order to buy enough of said software to make the profits they will want to make off those games. The fact that they have OLED coming instead, with no exclusive software, means they won't have software relying on specific iteration hardware sales to grow to a certain point to turn enough profit.

And do you have a link for them specifically saying that (quotes, no mistranslations or paraphrasing)? I only ask because we've heard a lot about what Nintendo says over the years and often we translate incorrectly.

shikamaru317 said:
Dulfite said:

Yeah, that is the possible silver lining, but on the other hand, I worry about how games like Pokemon Legends Arceus are going to play on Switch, considering how rough it looked on reveal earlier this year. That reveal trailer released 1 year before the game itself is releasing, I'm not sure if they'll be able to iron out all of the graphical and framerate issues in one year. We already have some games on Switch that have issues which would have benefited from a faster Pro model. Assuming Switch 2 has back compat, eventually we'll be able to play any games with issues at a proper framerate, and any games with dynamic resolution will play at a higher resolution on Switch 2, but we have at least a year and a half wait before Switch 2 still, possibly longer. 

Arceus has already seen substantial improvements in more recent videos, and that first one was said to be from an older build than even that point. I viewed that first trailer as more of a conceptual one, not an alpha build. I'm sure it will look far more impressive the next video they show. Also, no way Arceus will be technically more complex than Botw, in my opinion. If that game has issues it is because of Gamefreak not being very experienced with powerful engine development, not because of the Switch's power. Also, as I've pointed out in other threads, based on history Nintendo typically releases successor consoles 1.99 years (on average) after the final big iteration (big meaning substantial upgrade, not mini wii type iterations). So if they stick to that average it will come October 2023, but they did have one gap about 1.33 years as I also pointed out, so Switch 2 could come as early as February 2023, but I'm inclined to think October will be more likely, which would be 6.5 years after Switch 1 came out (which would count as a longer life cycle than normal, especially considering the Wii U was like 5 years).

Around the Network
Dulfite said:
psychicscubadiver said:

If it was a "regardless" situation, sure. But I think, if Switch 2 is planning to release 2024/2025 with the OLED coming October 2021, then if they had a Pro coming in 2021 instead of OLED that date would get pushed back to probably 2025/2026 for Switch 2, which would suck. If they make more powerful games that run exclusively on Switch Pro to take advantage of its hardware, they will need time for enough people to get Switch Pros in order to buy enough of said software to make the profits they will want to make off those games. The fact that they have OLED coming instead, with no exclusive software, means they won't have software relying on specific iteration hardware sales to grow to a certain point to turn enough profit.

And do you have a link for them specifically saying that (quotes, no mistranslations or paraphrasing)? I only ask because we've heard a lot about what Nintendo says over the years and often we translate incorrectly.

Nintendo's official translation of their 2020 Shareholder's meeting. They say 'we want to extend the life cycle of the Nintendo Switch' after being asked about their plans for their next system. Their response to question 7, specifically.
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2020/qa2006e.pdf

I've had my Switch since launch so it'll be a pretty good upgrade for me.

shikamaru317 said:
Dulfite said:

Arceus has already seen substantial improvements in more recent videos, and that first one was said to be from an older build than even that point. I viewed that first trailer as more of a conceptual one, not an alpha build. I'm sure it will look far more impressive the next video they show. Also, no way Arceus will be technically more complex than Botw, in my opinion. If that game has issues it is because of Gamefreak not being very experienced with powerful engine development, not because of the Switch's power. Also, as I've pointed out in other threads, based on history Nintendo typically releases successor consoles 1.99 years (on average) after the final big iteration (big meaning substantial upgrade, not mini wii type iterations). So if they stick to that average it will come October 2023, but they did have one gap about 1.33 years as I also pointed out, so Switch 2 could come as early as February 2023, but I'm inclined to think October will be more likely, which would be 6.5 years after Switch 1 came out (which would count as a longer life cycle than normal, especially considering the Wii U was like 5 years).

Wait, they showed more recent footage? Did I miss a direct at some point? I haven't seen a thing about it except for the release date since the initial trailer. I was hoping we would get a new trailer at E3, and then we didn't.

Not that recently, but sometime after the initial showing (I can't find it now that I try to look). I believe I remember people pointing out specific improvements seen since the first showing.

I don't think Bloomberg is "wrong".

They just got two models conflated with each other, the 4K DLSS Switch is the full blown successor, they thought the OLED model was the same thing.

Because you can't really say they know nothing, unless they somehow pulled 7' inch 720p OLED screen (dead on there) out of their ass as a random guess. They got that right. They probably are right about the 4K DLSS one too, it's just the successor model.

Last edited by Soundwave - on 15 July 2021

Guess you got yourself your next poll Rol: "Do you plan to buy a Steam Deck?"
I wonder if Valve were intentionally waiting for Nintendo to announce their rumored upgrade first.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat