By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you plan to buy a Switch OLED model?

Do you plan to buy a Switch OLED model?

Yes, and it will be my first Switch 39 4.48%

Yes, and I already own a Switch/Switch Lite 133 15.29%

No, I am still not interested in any Switch 128 14.71%

No, I am happy with my Switch/Switch Lite 349 40.11%

I am still undecided 67 7.70%

All I wanted was a Switch Pro 154 17.70%

Total:870
zero129 said:
Dulfite said:

1. Fair enough.

2. I in no way am supportive of phones being as expensive as it is. I hate it lol.

3. True, it will have more of this and Switch app does stink. Also I do want a mouse, but I can't see me using a mouse on a screen this small. 

4. I read other people, and have seen articles, suggesting this would be a Switch killer, so I'm arguing against it being that. Also, everyone should jog, we'd all be better off with more exercise. Yes, I'm aware Switch doesn't have everything. I'm currently playing older games on Wii U because it has a far better catalogue of old school eshop games than Switch. I also play Gamepass PC about the same, maybe even more, than Switch, so aware of the Switch's limited selection I am. But still, no one has the best lineup of games like Nintendo does, and PC misses out on this.

I dont understand how you can come to that conclusion when Nintendo have always been the most easiest of the big 3 to emulate on PC. Ny the time BoTW 2 releases Yuzu should have no problem playing it on PC in 4K and with the specs of this system it should be possible too.

Again, I firmly believe the vast majority of the gaming community (hardcore and casual) either do not know how or do not practice emulation for one reason or another. So, for the vast majority of players, gaming on PC will not allow access to Nintendo exclusives.

Around the Network
psychicscubadiver said:
Dulfite said:

Quoting for reference:

That meeting took place June 2020, which was 3 years and 2 months after launch of Switch (March 2017). Extending from that point could simply mean not cutting it short like they did with Wii U, or it could mean not cutting their focus from Switch software short in favor of the next device like they did with Wii. I do think Nintendo will support Switch up to and even beyond its successor coming out, which would be extending its support well beyond what they normally do. Normally when a device comes out, almost everything dries up 1st party-wise for the former device, but I think they will continue to make games for Switch 1 for a year or two after Switch 2 comes out (that also come out on Switch 2). So yeah, I fully expect Switch to have support extended beyond 2023 (which would be their normal end up, if not sooner in 2022), but I also expect Switch 2 to be out in 2023 and also have that software in addition to exclusives that are too taxing to run on Switch 1.

I heartily disagree with your interpretation. The brass tacks of it is that when asked about their plans for a new system their response was 'momentum for the console is increasing in its fourth year on the market' and 'we want to extend its life cycle'. This doesn't really fit with just 'not cutting short' which would generate a response more like 'Switch will have a regular life cycle' since its not like the WiiU's life cycle was normal. And continuing to support a system for a year or two once the successor launches is also pretty normal and not really an 'extension of its life cycle'. The 3DS wasn't discontinued until 2020 for Pete's sake.

But we could go round and round arguing. I'm confident it will release after 2023, if you're confident it will release that year or earlier let's bet on it. You can name the stakes, maybe sig or avatar control, whatever you want.

-The not cutting short is one interpretation I put forth, not the only one.

-Nintendo does not historically support their systems after they are replaced. They will release a handful more of first party games after their successor comes out, and those games are typically lower budget games or ones reusing assets/engines already developed. They are cheap, done by smaller teams, while the big teams focus on making exclusives for the newer device. So, when I read "extend" I'm thinking it is possible they will continue to make AAA games for Switch (that also release on Switch 2 in a forward compatible, rather than backwards compatible, kind of thinking) in great abundance for the first year or two of Switch 2's life. That would be out of character for them as they don't support legacy devices like that historically.

-Discontinuation date of a device has nothing to do with support. The 3ds had few games, especially from Nintendo, after its release compared to what it was getting before the Switch came out.

-Sure, let's bet. Where do your loyalties reside in the gaming world? For me, I'm a huge Paper Mario fan man. If we want to make this hurt you can make me have a avatar that troll me as a Paper Mario fan. What would troll you if you lose? 

Also, let's get more specific:

Switch 2 only, no additional reiterations of Switch 1 hardware will count. Also, Switch 2 will, I'm sure, not be its name, so regardless of what it is called it counts if it meets the requirement. 

Are we arguing fiscal year or calendar year? I predict Switch 2 will launch calendar year 2023. I suppose fiscal year would be safer bet because it would give me until what, March I think of 2024? Still, I'm feeling frisky, I'll stick with calendar year. 

Dulfite said:

Again, I firmly believe the vast majority of the gaming community (hardcore and casual) either do not know how or do not practice emulation for one reason or another. So, for the vast majority of players, gaming on PC will not allow access to Nintendo exclusives.

I've seen teens emulating GBA Pokemon games for years, wtf kind of crack are you smoking?.

I really don't get why you bring up the braindead folks, as if they are some saving grace of beacon of aspiration. 

Dulfite said:
psychicscubadiver said:

I heartily disagree with your interpretation. The brass tacks of it is that when asked about their plans for a new system their response was 'momentum for the console is increasing in its fourth year on the market' and 'we want to extend its life cycle'. This doesn't really fit with just 'not cutting short' which would generate a response more like 'Switch will have a regular life cycle' since its not like the WiiU's life cycle was normal. And continuing to support a system for a year or two once the successor launches is also pretty normal and not really an 'extension of its life cycle'. The 3DS wasn't discontinued until 2020 for Pete's sake.

But we could go round and round arguing. I'm confident it will release after 2023, if you're confident it will release that year or earlier let's bet on it. You can name the stakes, maybe sig or avatar control, whatever you want.

-Nintendo does not historically support their systems after they are replaced. They will release a handful more of first party games after their successor comes out, and those games are typically lower budget games or ones reusing assets/engines already developed. They are cheap, done by smaller teams, while the big teams focus on making exclusives for the newer device. So, when I read "extend" I'm thinking it is possible they will continue to make AAA games for Switch (that also release on Switch 2 in a forward compatible, rather than backwards compatible, kind of thinking) in great abundance for the first year or two of Switch 2's life. That would be out of character for them as they don't support legacy devices like that historically.

-Discontinuation date of a device has nothing to do with support. The 3ds had few games, especially from Nintendo, after its release compared to what it was getting before the Switch came out.

-Sure, let's bet. Where do your loyalties reside in the gaming world? For me, I'm a huge Paper Mario fan man. If we want to make this hurt you can make me have a avatar that troll me as a Paper Mario fan. What would troll you if you lose? 

Switch 2 only, no additional reiterations of Switch 1 hardware will count. Also, Switch 2 will, I'm sure, not be its name, so regardless of what it is called it counts if it meets the requirement. 

Are we arguing fiscal year or calendar year? I predict Switch 2 will launch calendar year 2023. I suppose fiscal year would be safer bet because it would give me until what, March I think of 2024? Still, I'm feeling frisky, I'll stick with calendar year. 

I agree, it must be a true successor, not an iteration of the original Switch. And yes, the timing sounds fair: any launch 31-12-2023 or before is your win. Any launch 1-1-2024 and after is my win.

Do you want sig or avatar control? I feel like a week of either would be a solid bet, but I'm willing to go up to a month if you want.

And where do my gaming loyalties lie? I'm a Nintendo fan in general and I've got a few series in specific I cherish: Legend of Zelda, Donkey Kong Country, Professor Layton, Ace Attorney, Smash Bros, Banjo Kazooie. If you want to be extra cruel just remind me that my favorite DS game 'Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure' will not only never get a sequel, but practically nobody knows it even exists.

psychicscubadiver said:
Dulfite said:

I agree, it must be a true successor, not an iteration of the original Switch. And yes, the timing sounds fair: any launch 31-12-2023 or before is your win. Any launch 1-1-2024 and after is my win.

Do you want sig or avatar control? I feel like a week of either would be a solid bet, but I'm willing to go up to a month if you want.

And where do my gaming loyalties lie? I'm a Nintendo fan in general and I've got a few series in specific I cherish: Legend of Zelda, Donkey Kong Country, Professor Layton, Ace Attorney, Smash Bros, Banjo Kazooie. If you want to be extra cruel just remind me that my favorite DS game 'Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure' will not only never get a sequel, but practically nobody knows it even exists.

Lol gotcha. I don't know how I forgot to mention this, but Project X Zone is my most hated game of all time. I spent over 50 hours beating that stupidly repetitive, a button mashing game when it came out and to this day wish I could assemble, smash, and incinerate every copy of it ever made. So an avatar about that game would hurt the most for me. A week is fine by me.

Around the Network
Chazore said:
Dulfite said:

I've seen teens emulating GBA Pokemon games for years, wtf kind of crack are you smoking?.

I really don't get why you bring up the braindead folks, as if they are some saving grace of beacon of aspiration. 

Not only GBA Pokemon. Many of Nintendo older IPs were experienced trough emulation for the generation who born in the late 90's and 2000's. Piracy is an overlooked factor when people are analyzing the industry. It's like when you have a new manga that was never released in west, but when it gets official release it tops new York times sellers list right out the gate, why? Because there was already an avid pool of customers reading it online, just not paying for them 

I agree games (especially older games) are very easy to emulate. Take as much effort to run them as to install any software and open any file on windows

IcaroRibeiro said:

Not only GBA Pokemon. Many of Nintendo older IPs were experienced trough emulation for the generation who born in the late 90's and 2000's. Piracy is an overlooked factor when people are analyzing the industry. It's like when you have a new manga that was never released in west, but when it gets official release it tops new York times sellers list right out the gate, why? Because there was already an avid pool of customers reading it online, just not paying for them 

I agree games (especially older games) are very easy to emulate. Take as much effort to run them as to install any software and open any file on windows

I too once used to emulate Nintendo games back in the day, like Pokemon G&S, first few Mario games, first few Zelda titles etc. 

Chazore said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

I too once used to emulate Nintendo games back in the day, like Pokemon G&S, first few Mario games, first few Zelda titles etc. 

Yes. All Game Cube games I've played were through emulation. Unlike SNES and N64 that were plentiful, I've never really saw anyone in Brazil with a Game Cube, it was a system I know it existed thanks to Magazines (although they were mainly focused on Playstation 2 at the time)

I also emulated GBC and some GBA games as well. My first Nintendo handheld was a DS, and even though they could play GBA cartridges I was just much more convenient (and free) to download GBA roms as those cartridges weren't that easy to find at stores, I think the only GBA games I've legally played on DS were the ones my neighbor gave to me

The point is, if a 7 to 8 years old kid had no problem emulating I don't think grown up men and women would have such problems either

Never once emulated aside from official re-releases.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

I'm actually more likely to buy a Switch Lite if anything. I play my Switch mainly in handheld mode on my commute to and from work/school. And while the screen may be nicer, the Switch Lite's portability is a bigger deal to me. And since the Oled model does nothing for docked play, it'll be the same experience when I'm playing on my TV anyway.

But probably won't buy either and will just save it for an XBox PS5 when they're finally available. No rush on those though.