By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you plan to buy a Switch OLED model?

Do you plan to buy a Switch OLED model?

Yes, and it will be my first Switch 39 4.48%

Yes, and I already own a Switch/Switch Lite 133 15.27%

No, I am still not interested in any Switch 128 14.70%

No, I am happy with my Switch/Switch Lite 349 40.07%

I am still undecided 67 7.69%

All I wanted was a Switch Pro 155 17.80%

Total:871
Dulfite said:

1. If I get bombarded with endless replies saying pro piracy nonsense, whatever. Those people won't change my mind that it is wrong.

2. Phones can, you know, call people, and video call people, and fit in your pocket, take photos/videos, do video calls, do all ar things, and a million other things that a PC only Switch-clone can't do.

3. I have connected a bluetooth keyboard to my Switch for a long time now. Never tried a mouse, but then again I wouldn't need that on a Switch.

4. Regarding Nintendo having too much stock put in it, I don't understand this at all. Their software sells an insane amount and none of that will be available on Steam.

1. We're not here to change your mind, I was giving you a heads up because I know that you not changing your mind will just end up mucking the thread up, hile others argue against your immovable logic. I'm basically saying it's probably a better idea to not bring such a topic into a thread like this, because it doesn't do anything and doesn't do anyone any favours.

2. Yes, but why should phones cost half a mint for something so basic?. There are still video and cameras out there that do cost a fair amount, but also are superior over the average phone camera, I hope you are aware of this (much like a beefy PC is objectively more powerful than a console). Phone gaming also sucks absolute balls, so I wouldn't even dream of trying to reign that device over the Switch/ Steam Deck.

3. Yes, but I'm more on about the amount of peripherals out there that PC has access to, now the Steam deck does. I'll also be able to use Discord on the device, while the Switch requires me to install a stupid app to do voice communication on my phone, a totally different device, meaning that one device requires two for the basic feature of voice chat.

Yes you might not want a mouse, but I do.

4. It's because you're setting this up like it's some stupid Switch killer, and that Nintendo is some lord over all gaming, when it really isn't, and it caters to a different audience compared to what Steam Deck is targeting and you seem to miss this entirely and think this device is going for the kids and the idiot casuals (which you somehow value, because honestly, braindead casuals can go jog on for all I care, they are a plague in many an industry). A lot of other software is avaible on Steam, the biggest store in all of PC gaming, and it's even got software that the Switch will never have, like Sony Vegas (editing software). Switch doesn't have absolutely everything in the world you know?. 

Last edited by Chazore - on 15 July 2021

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network
Captain_Yuri said:
Dulfite said:

Wii U did not prove that. Wii U was the most misunderstood device in modern gaming history. The vast, vast majority of people didn't even know it existed or didn't know it was a console. I had a hardcore gaming friend of mine convinced (to the point of arguing it) that it was just a controller for the Wii. If even hardcore gamers were confused, then casuals really were confused or didn't know what it was. It's failures proves nothing about the power of Nintendo software and proves absolutely the significant of bad branding and bad marketing. GameCube doesn't count either, as Nintendo's popularity hadn't grown into what it is today prior to the Wii. I'm convinced 90% of the gaming community thinks the successor to the Wii was the Switch and wondered why it took so long for Nintendo to make a new device, being completely unaware that the Wii U ever existed.

And for the record, I flippin' loved the Wii U and I think many of its features are superior to Switch, but Nintendo did a terrible job communicating what Wii U was to the market.

Sure but if it was the only one off, I'd agree. But together with the N64 and GC? I'd disagree. But regardless, I am not going to derail the thread by continue in that path.

The point I am trying to make is, there is plenty of appeal in getting a portable handheld that allows you to play Xbox, Sony and other third party games on the go. Sure it costs more but there are also plenty of reasons to get it as well. The switch will always be special and it will always sell far more than this ever will. But I think the Steam Deck will have it's own market.

That was part of my point, it was a one off. 

NES sold 62 million. SNES sold 49 million. N64 sold 33 million. GC sold 22 million. Sure, the N64 and GC dropped off from NES and SNES, but Nintendo had been on a downward trajectory and even then, the gap between NES and GC was only 40 million. Then we had Wii crack 100 million in (a gain of 80 million over its predecessor and 40 million over the previously best selling Nintendo device). This was their massive leap forward in market awareness. Everyone and their grandmas knew who Nintendo was because of the Wii and DS. Then they come out with their next device, with more multimedia features than Wii, one of their biggest power jumps ever, first time Nintendo HD games, brand new gyro controls but still can use Wii motes on it, backwards compatibility with Wii, Miiverse, and more features that made it a huge leap forward to people and it only sells 14 million. Branding and marketing doomed it. I knew that the moment they announced the stupid name of the fantastic device that it was doomed. Wii U name is probably top 5 dumbest decisions made in the history of gaming.

And you could be right about the Steam Deck. It's appealing to me somewhat, but almost all pc games I like to play with mouse/keyboard and prefer a much larger screen with more refresh rates.

Chazore said:
Dulfite said:

1. If I get bombarded with endless replies saying pro piracy nonsense, whatever. Those people won't change my mind that it is wrong.

2. Phones can, you know, call people, and video call people, and fit in your pocket, take photos/videos, do video calls, do all ar things, and a million other things that a PC only Switch-clone can't do.

3. I have connected a bluetooth keyboard to my Switch for a long time now. Never tried a mouse, but then again I wouldn't need that on a Switch.

4. Regarding Nintendo having too much stock put in it, I don't understand this at all. Their software sells an insane amount and none of that will be available on Steam.

1. We're not here to change your mind, I was giving you a heads up because I know that you not changing your mind will just end up mucking the thread up, hile others argue against your immovable logic. I'm basically saying it's probably a better idea to not bring such a topic into a thread like this, because it doesn't do anything and doesn't do anyone any favours.

2. Yes, but why should phones cost half a mint for something so basic?. There are still video and cameras out there that do cost a fair amount, but also are superior over the average phone camera, I hope you are aware of this (much like a beefy PC is objectively more powerful than a console). Phone gaming also sucks absolute balls, so I wouldn't even dream of trying to reign that device over the Switch/ Steam Deck.

3. Yes, but I'm more on about the amount of peripherals out there that PC has access to, now the Steam deck does. I'll also be able to use Discord on the device, while the Switch requires me to install a stupid app to do voice communication on my phone, a totally different device, meaning that one device requires two for the basic feature of voice chat.

Yes you might not want a mouse, but I do.

4. It's because you're setting this up like it's some stupid Switch killer, and that Nintendo is some lord over all gaming, when it really isn't, and it caters to a different audience compared to what Steam Deck is targeting and you seem to miss this entirely and think this device is going for the kids and the idiot casuals (which you somehow value, because honestly, braindead casuals can go jog on for all I care, they are a plague in many an industry). A lot of other software is avaible on Steam, the biggest store in all of PC gaming, and it's even got software that the Switch will never have, like Sony Vegas (editing software). Switch doesn't have absolutely everything in the world you know?. 

1. Fair enough.

2. I in no way am supportive of phones being as expensive as it is. I hate it lol.

3. True, it will have more of this and Switch app does stink. Also I do want a mouse, but I can't see me using a mouse on a screen this small. 

4. I read other people, and have seen articles, suggesting this would be a Switch killer, so I'm arguing against it being that. Also, everyone should jog, we'd all be better off with more exercise. Yes, I'm aware Switch doesn't have everything. I'm currently playing older games on Wii U because it has a far better catalogue of old school eshop games than Switch. I also play Gamepass PC about the same, maybe even more, than Switch, so aware of the Switch's limited selection I am. But still, no one has the best lineup of games like Nintendo does, and PC misses out on this.

Not at launch, but I'll consider it in the middle of next year. I do want two systems in my household, that's why.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

UnderwaterFunktown said:

Guess you got yourself your next poll Rol: "Do you plan to buy a Steam Deck?"
I wonder if Valve were intentionally waiting for Nintendo to announce their rumored upgrade first.

A better one: "How many units do you think Steam Deck will sell in 2022?"

Around the Network
Dulfite said:
psychicscubadiver said:

Nintendo's official translation of their 2020 Shareholder's meeting. They say 'we want to extend the life cycle of the Nintendo Switch' after being asked about their plans for their next system. Their response to question 7, specifically.
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2020/qa2006e.pdf

Quoting for reference:

That meeting took place June 2020, which was 3 years and 2 months after launch of Switch (March 2017). Extending from that point could simply mean not cutting it short like they did with Wii U, or it could mean not cutting their focus from Switch software short in favor of the next device like they did with Wii. I do think Nintendo will support Switch up to and even beyond its successor coming out, which would be extending its support well beyond what they normally do. Normally when a device comes out, almost everything dries up 1st party-wise for the former device, but I think they will continue to make games for Switch 1 for a year or two after Switch 2 comes out (that also come out on Switch 2). So yeah, I fully expect Switch to have support extended beyond 2023 (which would be their normal end up, if not sooner in 2022), but I also expect Switch 2 to be out in 2023 and also have that software in addition to exclusives that are too taxing to run on Switch 1.

I heartily disagree with your interpretation. The brass tacks of it is that when asked about their plans for a new system their response was 'momentum for the console is increasing in its fourth year on the market' and 'we want to extend its life cycle'. This doesn't really fit with just 'not cutting short' which would generate a response more like 'Switch will have a regular life cycle' since its not like the WiiU's life cycle was normal. And continuing to support a system for a year or two once the successor launches is also pretty normal and not really an 'extension of its life cycle'. The 3DS wasn't discontinued until 2020 for Pete's sake.

But we could go round and round arguing. I'm confident it will release after 2023, if you're confident it will release that year or earlier let's bet on it. You can name the stakes, maybe sig or avatar control, whatever you want.

No. No point if u own a switch for a slightly higher contrast. It's good for those who want to try the switch.

Well I changed my mind. I was going to get a second switch because my sister was stealing the first one as I do like playing games on the handheld. Steam Deck seems to solve that as well so I will get that instead.

Last edited by Jizz_Beard_thePirate - on 16 July 2021

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

zero129 said:
Dulfite said:

1. Fair enough.

2. I in no way am supportive of phones being as expensive as it is. I hate it lol.

3. True, it will have more of this and Switch app does stink. Also I do want a mouse, but I can't see me using a mouse on a screen this small. 

4. I read other people, and have seen articles, suggesting this would be a Switch killer, so I'm arguing against it being that. Also, everyone should jog, we'd all be better off with more exercise. Yes, I'm aware Switch doesn't have everything. I'm currently playing older games on Wii U because it has a far better catalogue of old school eshop games than Switch. I also play Gamepass PC about the same, maybe even more, than Switch, so aware of the Switch's limited selection I am. But still, no one has the best lineup of games like Nintendo does, and PC misses out on this.

I dont understand how you can come to that conclusion when Nintendo have always been the most easiest of the big 3 to emulate on PC. Ny the time BoTW 2 releases Yuzu should have no problem playing it on PC in 4K and with the specs of this system it should be possible too.

Again, I firmly believe the vast majority of the gaming community (hardcore and casual) either do not know how or do not practice emulation for one reason or another. So, for the vast majority of players, gaming on PC will not allow access to Nintendo exclusives.

psychicscubadiver said:
Dulfite said:

Quoting for reference:

That meeting took place June 2020, which was 3 years and 2 months after launch of Switch (March 2017). Extending from that point could simply mean not cutting it short like they did with Wii U, or it could mean not cutting their focus from Switch software short in favor of the next device like they did with Wii. I do think Nintendo will support Switch up to and even beyond its successor coming out, which would be extending its support well beyond what they normally do. Normally when a device comes out, almost everything dries up 1st party-wise for the former device, but I think they will continue to make games for Switch 1 for a year or two after Switch 2 comes out (that also come out on Switch 2). So yeah, I fully expect Switch to have support extended beyond 2023 (which would be their normal end up, if not sooner in 2022), but I also expect Switch 2 to be out in 2023 and also have that software in addition to exclusives that are too taxing to run on Switch 1.

I heartily disagree with your interpretation. The brass tacks of it is that when asked about their plans for a new system their response was 'momentum for the console is increasing in its fourth year on the market' and 'we want to extend its life cycle'. This doesn't really fit with just 'not cutting short' which would generate a response more like 'Switch will have a regular life cycle' since its not like the WiiU's life cycle was normal. And continuing to support a system for a year or two once the successor launches is also pretty normal and not really an 'extension of its life cycle'. The 3DS wasn't discontinued until 2020 for Pete's sake.

But we could go round and round arguing. I'm confident it will release after 2023, if you're confident it will release that year or earlier let's bet on it. You can name the stakes, maybe sig or avatar control, whatever you want.

-The not cutting short is one interpretation I put forth, not the only one.

-Nintendo does not historically support their systems after they are replaced. They will release a handful more of first party games after their successor comes out, and those games are typically lower budget games or ones reusing assets/engines already developed. They are cheap, done by smaller teams, while the big teams focus on making exclusives for the newer device. So, when I read "extend" I'm thinking it is possible they will continue to make AAA games for Switch (that also release on Switch 2 in a forward compatible, rather than backwards compatible, kind of thinking) in great abundance for the first year or two of Switch 2's life. That would be out of character for them as they don't support legacy devices like that historically.

-Discontinuation date of a device has nothing to do with support. The 3ds had few games, especially from Nintendo, after its release compared to what it was getting before the Switch came out.

-Sure, let's bet. Where do your loyalties reside in the gaming world? For me, I'm a huge Paper Mario fan man. If we want to make this hurt you can make me have a avatar that troll me as a Paper Mario fan. What would troll you if you lose? 

Also, let's get more specific:

Switch 2 only, no additional reiterations of Switch 1 hardware will count. Also, Switch 2 will, I'm sure, not be its name, so regardless of what it is called it counts if it meets the requirement. 

Are we arguing fiscal year or calendar year? I predict Switch 2 will launch calendar year 2023. I suppose fiscal year would be safer bet because it would give me until what, March I think of 2024? Still, I'm feeling frisky, I'll stick with calendar year.