By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you plan to buy a Switch OLED model?

Do you plan to buy a Switch OLED model?

Yes, and it will be my first Switch 39 4.48%

Yes, and I already own a Switch/Switch Lite 133 15.27%

No, I am still not interested in any Switch 128 14.70%

No, I am happy with my Switch/Switch Lite 349 40.07%

I am still undecided 67 7.69%

All I wanted was a Switch Pro 155 17.80%

Total:871
psychicscubadiver said:
Dulfite said:

If it was a "regardless" situation, sure. But I think, if Switch 2 is planning to release 2024/2025 with the OLED coming October 2021, then if they had a Pro coming in 2021 instead of OLED that date would get pushed back to probably 2025/2026 for Switch 2, which would suck. If they make more powerful games that run exclusively on Switch Pro to take advantage of its hardware, they will need time for enough people to get Switch Pros in order to buy enough of said software to make the profits they will want to make off those games. The fact that they have OLED coming instead, with no exclusive software, means they won't have software relying on specific iteration hardware sales to grow to a certain point to turn enough profit.

And do you have a link for them specifically saying that (quotes, no mistranslations or paraphrasing)? I only ask because we've heard a lot about what Nintendo says over the years and often we translate incorrectly.

Nintendo's official translation of their 2020 Shareholder's meeting. They say 'we want to extend the life cycle of the Nintendo Switch' after being asked about their plans for their next system. Their response to question 7, specifically.
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2020/qa2006e.pdf

Quoting for reference:

That meeting took place June 2020, which was 3 years and 2 months after launch of Switch (March 2017). Extending from that point could simply mean not cutting it short like they did with Wii U, or it could mean not cutting their focus from Switch software short in favor of the next device like they did with Wii. I do think Nintendo will support Switch up to and even beyond its successor coming out, which would be extending its support well beyond what they normally do. Normally when a device comes out, almost everything dries up 1st party-wise for the former device, but I think they will continue to make games for Switch 1 for a year or two after Switch 2 comes out (that also come out on Switch 2). So yeah, I fully expect Switch to have support extended beyond 2023 (which would be their normal end up, if not sooner in 2022), but I also expect Switch 2 to be out in 2023 and also have that software in addition to exclusives that are too taxing to run on Switch 1.

Around the Network
UnderwaterFunktown said:

Guess you got yourself your next poll Rol: "Do you plan to buy a Steam Deck?"
I wonder if Valve were intentionally waiting for Nintendo to announce their rumored upgrade first.

I keep seeing articles up about how cheap it is or how much it pained Gabe to have such an attractive price point, but seriously? $400 for the basic model that can fit like two AAA games (max) on it? PC developers don't compress and optimize games like Nintendo does, that thing will barely fit any games on it without a beefy microsd card. Plus, acting like $400 is cheap (and that's the cheapest variation) when it can only play PC games is silly. Switch may be worse hardware overall, but it has a bigger screen, is also LCD (the ones out right now), functions the same way, and in addition to a thousands of third party games also has all of Nintendo's exclusives. 

Steam Deck is just an overpriced third-party-only Switch. Lamesauce.

Dulfite said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

I wonder if Valve were intentionally waiting for Nintendo to announce their rumored upgrade first.

I keep seeing articles up about how cheap it is or how much it pained Gabe to have such an attractive price point, but seriously? $400 for the basic model that can fit like two AAA games (max) on it? PC developers don't compress and optimize games like Nintendo does, that thing will barely fit any games on it without a beefy microsd card. Plus, acting like $400 is cheap (and that's the cheapest variation) when it can only play PC games is silly. Switch may be worse hardware overall, but it has a bigger screen, is also LCD (the ones out right now), functions the same way, and in addition to a thousands of third party games also has all of Nintendo's exclusives. 

You do realize that PC's games library is significantly bigger than what Switch has to offer right? On top of that, because this is a PC with Zen 2 and RDNA 2 that's more powerful than a base model ps4, it will allow you to play emulators including even switch/wiiU emulators probably at higher resolutions than on the switch/wiiU.

The storage option at it's base model is not good, that I can agree. But this is absolutely a good value even at $529 for what it offers.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Captain_Yuri said:
Dulfite said:

You do realize that PC's games library is significantly bigger than what Switch has to offer right? On top of that, because this is a PC with Zen 2 and RDNA 2 that's more powerful than a base model ps4, it will allow you to play emulators including even switch/wiiU emulators probably at higher resolutions than on the switch/wiiU.

The storage option at it's base model is not good, that I can agree. But this is absolutely a good value even at $529 for what it offers.

Yeah, lots and lots of third party, the vast majority of which has been out for years and doesn't have the lasting/evergreen appeal like Nintendo games do. Plus, it doesn't have any Nintendo games. And most gamers don't know how to emulate, let alone casuals. And the majority that do don't do it because they have a conscious. Only time I support emulation is when you already have purchased the game before, otherwise you are robbing studios of money they deserve and, more importantly, robbing individual developers of the raises/bonuses/time off they should get but don't because sales aren't as strong as they would be had some people not emulated.

Dulfite said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

Yeah your focus on the storage space is on point (likely to have external workarounds for that at some point), but the rest of your commentary?, not so much.

I think you've put way, way too much stock into Nintendo in all honesty, going by your comments on this thread so far. $400 is cheap compared to the new iphone or anything else higher, and it's a freaking mini PC that can be hooked up to a TV WITH the ability to hook up mouse/keyboard, the Switch only docks to your TV and doesn't support M+K or many other peripherals for that matter.

Also this ain't the thread for talking about piracy and trying to dictate how it's "robbing", when it's essentially just making a mere copy of the files (really, don't go down that road, because you will not hear the end of it, trust me, do not)).

Last edited by Chazore - on 15 July 2021

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network
Dulfite said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Yeah, lots and lots of third party, the vast majority of which has been out for years and doesn't have the lasting/evergreen appeal like Nintendo games do. Plus, it doesn't have any Nintendo games. And most gamers don't know how to emulate, let alone casuals. And the majority that do don't do it because they have a conscious. Only time I support emulation is when you already have purchased the game before, otherwise you are robbing studios of money they deserve and, more importantly, robbing individual developers of the raises/bonuses/time off they should get but don't because sales aren't as strong as they would be had some people not emulated.

You do realize that you can play all the latest third party games on this right? Sure it doesn't have any official Nintendo games but I don't see how that matters. People don't buy systems only for Nintendo games, the wiiU proved that. Most people buy systems for third party games and this allows you to play Xbox and Sony first party games that are playable on PC as well as the large library of third party games on the go.

Now whether or not you condone emulators doesn't matter. This device gives the option to if someone wants it and that's something that can't be done on the switch.

Now don't get me wrong. I am not saying this is a switch killer as this won't sell anywhere close to the switch. But saying that this is overpriced like you did in your original comment is 110% nonsense.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Chazore said:
Dulfite said:

Yeah your focus on the storage space is on point (likely to have external workarounds for that at some point), but the rest of your commentary?, not so much.

I think you've put way, way too much stock into Nintendo in all honesty, going by your comments on this thread so far. $400 is cheap compared to the new iphone or anything else higher, and it's a freaking mini PC that can be hooked up to a TV WITH the ability to hook up mouse/keyboard, the Switch only docks to your TV and doesn't support M+K or many other peripherals for that matter.

Also this ain't the thread for talking about piracy and trying to dictate how it's "robbing", when it's essentially just making a mere copy of the files (really, don't go down that road, because you will not hear the end of it, trust me, do not)).

1. If I get bombarded with endless replies saying pro piracy nonsense, whatever. Those people won't change my mind that it is wrong.

2. Phones can, you know, call people, and video call people, and fit in your pocket, take photos/videos, do video calls, do all ar things, and a million other things that a PC only Switch-clone can't do.

3. I have connected a bluetooth keyboard to my Switch for a long time now. Never tried a mouse, but then again I wouldn't need that on a Switch.

4. Regarding Nintendo having too much stock put in it, I don't understand this at all. Their software sells an insane amount and none of that will be available on Steam.

Conina said:

Well, if my 2017 model gets broken, I'd upgrade to the OLED model (and sell one of the docks).

I also thought about getting a second Switch, if the battery of my 2017 model gets worse. The old device would stay in the dock all the time (so the bad battery wouldn't be a problem), would have internet access 24/7 (so setting it non-primary wouldn't be a problem).

The OLED version would be set to primary (for offline access of my digital games) and would be my Switch handheld with a lot of mobile advantages compared to the degraded old model:

- bigger screen (useful for tiny text in games... the eyes don't get better while getting older)
- higher brightness (useful outside in daylight)
- better battery life (useful on the go without a power outlet nearby)

Scratch that... I'm getting a Steam Deck instead.

Captain_Yuri said:
Dulfite said:

You do realize that you can play all the latest third party games on this right? Sure it doesn't have any official Nintendo games but I don't see how that matters. People don't buy systems only for Nintendo games, the wiiU proved that. Most people buy systems for third party games and this allows you to play Xbox and Sony first party games that are playable on PC as well as the large library of third party games on the go.

Now whether or not you condone emulators doesn't matter. This device gives the option to if someone wants it and that's something that can't be done on the switch.

Now don't get me wrong. I am not saying this is a switch killer as this won't sell anywhere close to the switch. But saying that this is overpriced like you did in your original comment is 110% nonsense.

Wii U did not prove that. Wii U was the most misunderstood device in modern gaming history. The vast, vast majority of people didn't even know it existed or didn't know it was a console. I had a hardcore gaming friend of mine convinced (to the point of arguing it) that it was just a controller for the Wii. If even hardcore gamers were confused, then casuals really were confused or didn't know what it was. It's failures proves nothing about the power of Nintendo software and proves absolutely the significant of bad branding and bad marketing. GameCube doesn't count either, as Nintendo's popularity hadn't grown into what it is today prior to the Wii. I'm convinced 90% of the gaming community thinks the successor to the Wii was the Switch and wondered why it took so long for Nintendo to make a new device, being completely unaware that the Wii U ever existed.

And for the record, I flippin' loved the Wii U and I think many of its features are superior to Switch, but Nintendo did a terrible job communicating what Wii U was to the market.

Dulfite said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Wii U did not prove that. Wii U was the most misunderstood device in modern gaming history. The vast, vast majority of people didn't even know it existed or didn't know it was a console. I had a hardcore gaming friend of mine convinced (to the point of arguing it) that it was just a controller for the Wii. If even hardcore gamers were confused, then casuals really were confused or didn't know what it was. It's failures proves nothing about the power of Nintendo software and proves absolutely the significant of bad branding and bad marketing. GameCube doesn't count either, as Nintendo's popularity hadn't grown into what it is today prior to the Wii. I'm convinced 90% of the gaming community thinks the successor to the Wii was the Switch and wondered why it took so long for Nintendo to make a new device, being completely unaware that the Wii U ever existed.

And for the record, I flippin' loved the Wii U and I think many of its features are superior to Switch, but Nintendo did a terrible job communicating what Wii U was to the market.

Sure but if it was the only one off, I'd agree. But together with the N64 and GC? I'd disagree. But regardless, I am not going to derail the thread by continue in that path.

The point I am trying to make is, there is plenty of appeal in getting a portable handheld that allows you to play Xbox, Sony and other third party games on the go. Sure it costs more but there are also plenty of reasons to get it as well. The switch will always be special and it will always sell far more than this ever will. But I think the Steam Deck will have it's own market.