By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware June 20-26 - Switch Sells 376K, PS5 Sells 226K, XS Sells 136K

I should point out the week of July 3 (last week of June) will be the last week VGChartz tracks the 3DS outside of Japan. After that we will only be reporting on 3DS sales in Japan.

Nintendo shipped 75.94 million 3DS units lifetime while we have 3DS figures at just below that.



VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network
trunkswd said:

I should point out the week of July 3 (last week of June) will be the last week VGChartz tracks the 3DS outside of Japan. After that we will only be reporting on 3DS sales in Japan.

Nintendo shipped 75.94 million 3DS units lifetime while we have 3DS figures at just below that.

Another stage of the death of the 3DS. It was discontinued last year, and there's only so much remaining stock that exists.



Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 144 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million)

PS5: 105 million Xbox Series S/X: 60 million

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Wman1996 said:
trunkswd said:

I should point out the week of July 3 (last week of June) will be the last week VGChartz tracks the 3DS outside of Japan. After that we will only be reporting on 3DS sales in Japan.

Nintendo shipped 75.94 million 3DS units lifetime while we have 3DS figures at just below that.

Another stage of the death of the 3DS. It was discontinued last year, and there's only so much remaining stock that exists.

It was only a matter of time. I'll keep tracking 3DS sales in Japan for as long as Famitsu does. 



VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Shoutout to everyone in Japan who bought an Xbox One this week. All 7 of you.

Xbox Series manages to lead PS5 in North America again, I wonder if it could reclaim its old home turf from Playstation this gen.



Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:

Shoutout to everyone in Japan who bought an Xbox One this week. All 7 of you.

Xbox Series manages to lead PS5 in North America again, I wonder if it could reclaim its old home turf from Playstation this gen.

It's entirely possible. Heck, it's likely. The PS4 only outsold the Xbox One by 6.01 million in North America. But PS4 had a massive lead in Europe, Japan, and the rest of the world combined.

The Xbox Series S/X will get easier to find over time, and we'll get games like Halo Infinite. And GamePass is only going to keep growing.

I expect the Series S/X to outsell the Xbox One globally, but I expect the PS5 to sell less globally than the PS4. The lead Sony had in the eighth generation will shrink. 



Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 144 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million)

PS5: 105 million Xbox Series S/X: 60 million

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

Shoutout to everyone in Japan who bought an Xbox One this week. All 7 of you.

Xbox Series manages to lead PS5 in North America again, I wonder if it could reclaim its old home turf from Playstation this gen.

Until the shortage ends the console that ships the most will sell the best in North America. If Xbox ships more consoles this year then PlayStation they will sell better and if PlayStation ships more consoles they will sell better. We probably have to wait a year to gauge the real demand and to have a glimpse onto how this gen will unfold. 



While I still expect PS5 to outsell XS worldwide by a large margin, XS does seem more in demand than the Xbone ever was, as it's not saddled with as much bad PR and image problems, nor it is weaker than its PS rival or more expensive.

I definitely think it will be a competitive fight in America this time around.



Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Bristow9091 said:

The Series X|S is actually holding up surprisingly well compared to the PS5, looks like they'll be closer than the PS4/XBO at least anyway... if sales pick up we could also see PS5 break 10m and Series X|S break 6m within the next two weeks too, even if I DO think they'll both miss that mark ever so slightly, lol

Also I'm not commenting on the Switch because, well... it's just doing Switch things, y'know? :P 

I actually read otherwise, on resetera/neogaf.

That dispite how badly the XB1 ended up doing compaired to the PS4, it at launch, was pretty close for the first 5-6 months or so.
The differnce between the XSX/PS5 is bigger than the XB1/PS4 was, this apparently still holds true, about 8 months into it.

This could be because of supply... I dont think MS planned to make nearly as many as sony did, and when theres high demand worldwide for components/fabs, scaleing up production, isnt as easy or cheap, so PS5 could be winning by default, simply because it planned to make more, years ago.

Maybe in 2022, things change? and MS can up production, and the sales differnces shrink? This year, I doubt you'll see things change. PS5 will just sell 2-3 times as much, because they manufactured that much more than XSX/XSS combo.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 09 July 2021

All-Time Video Game Console Sales List:

1) PlayStation 2 (PS2) - 157,680,000 (155,000,000+ according to Sony) Mar. 31st, 2012

2) Nintendo DS (DS) - 154,900,000 (154,020,000 according to Nintendo) - Mar. 31st, 2021

3) Game Boy (GB/GBC) - 118,690,000

4) PlayStation 4 (PS4) - 115,761,194 (115,900,000+ according to Sony) - Mar. 31st, 2021

5) PlayStation (PS1) - 102,500,000 (102,400,000+ according to Sony) - Mar. 31st, 2012

6) Nintendo Wii (Wii) - 101,640,000 (101,630,000 according to Nintendo) - Mar. 31st, 2021

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7) Nintendo Switch (NS) - 87,784,204 (84,590,000 according to Nintendo) - Mar. 31st, 2021

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



JRPGfan said:

Maybe in 2022, things change? and MS can up production, and the sales differnces shrink? This year, I doubt you'll see things change. PS5 will just sell 2-3 times as much, because they manufactured that much more than XSX/XSS combo.

If things don't change then PS5 wont sell 2-3 times as much because is not doing that right now. The Ps5 has sold about 1.6X the amount X|S has, if it had sold  twice as much it would be above 11M right now and 3x as much  it would be above 17M.