By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware June 20-26 - Switch Sells 376K, PS5 Sells 226K, XS Sells 136K

While I still expect PS5 to outsell XS worldwide by a large margin, XS does seem more in demand than the Xbone ever was, as it's not saddled with as much bad PR and image problems, nor it is weaker than its PS rival or more expensive.

I definitely think it will be a competitive fight in America this time around.

Around the Network
Bristow9091 said:

The Series X|S is actually holding up surprisingly well compared to the PS5, looks like they'll be closer than the PS4/XBO at least anyway... if sales pick up we could also see PS5 break 10m and Series X|S break 6m within the next two weeks too, even if I DO think they'll both miss that mark ever so slightly, lol

Also I'm not commenting on the Switch because, well... it's just doing Switch things, y'know? :P 

I actually read otherwise, on resetera/neogaf.

That dispite how badly the XB1 ended up doing compaired to the PS4, it at launch, was pretty close for the first 5-6 months or so.
The differnce between the XSX/PS5 is bigger than the XB1/PS4 was, this apparently still holds true, about 8 months into it.

This could be because of supply... I dont think MS planned to make nearly as many as sony did, and when theres high demand worldwide for components/fabs, scaleing up production, isnt as easy or cheap, so PS5 could be winning by default, simply because it planned to make more, years ago.

Maybe in 2022, things change? and MS can up production, and the sales differnces shrink? This year, I doubt you'll see things change. PS5 will just sell 2-3 times as much, because they manufactured that much more than XSX/XSS combo.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 09 July 2021

All-Time Video Game Console Sales List:

1) PlayStation 2 (PS2) - 157,680,000 (155,000,000+ according to Sony) Mar. 31st, 2012

2) Nintendo DS (DS) - 154,900,000 (154,020,000 according to Nintendo) - Mar. 31st, 2021

3) Game Boy (GB/GBC) - 118,690,000

4) PlayStation 4 (PS4) - 115,761,194 (115,900,000+ according to Sony) - Mar. 31st, 2021

5) PlayStation (PS1) - 102,500,000 (102,400,000+ according to Sony) - Mar. 31st, 2012

6) Nintendo Wii (Wii) - 101,640,000 (101,630,000 according to Nintendo) - Mar. 31st, 2021

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7) Nintendo Switch (NS) - 87,784,204 (84,590,000 according to Nintendo) - Mar. 31st, 2021

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JRPGfan said:

Maybe in 2022, things change? and MS can up production, and the sales differnces shrink? This year, I doubt you'll see things change. PS5 will just sell 2-3 times as much, because they manufactured that much more than XSX/XSS combo.

If things don't change then PS5 wont sell 2-3 times as much because is not doing that right now. The Ps5 has sold about 1.6X the amount X|S has, if it had sold  twice as much it would be above 11M right now and 3x as much  it would be above 17M.

Chicho said:
JRPGfan said:

If things don't change then PS5 wont sell 2-3 times as much because is not doing that right now. The Ps5 has sold about 1.6X the amount X|S has, if it had sold  twice as much it would be above 11M right now and 3x as much  it would be above 17M.

The thing is, all we have is estimates (We could be off on both PS5 and XSX numbers).
Last time we had numbers, was from the first quarter, were the PS5 was outselling the XSX/XSS 2 to 1.

(all it takes is say XSX/XSS to be overtracked by 500k (here on VGC), and PS5 to be undertracked by the same, and you go over 2x ratio)

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 09 July 2021

Around the Network
Wman1996 said:

but I expect the PS5 to sell less globally than the PS4. The lead Sony had in the eighth generation will shrink. 

The PS5 actually sells better than the PS4 currently, and the lead is getting wider

SKMBlake said:
Wman1996 said:

but I expect the PS5 to sell less globally than the PS4. The lead Sony had in the eighth generation will shrink. 

The PS5 actually sells better than the PS4 currently, and the lead is getting wider

We're still in stock-shortage launch hype though.  It won't be until later in the generation that we see how something like the Bethesda/Zenimax acquisition affects the sales gap between the Xbox and Playstation brands.  Microsoft and Sony largely cater to the same gaming audience.  For one of them to increase in sales, the other has had to diminish.  And, I haven't seen any indication that the XBox Series S/X is going to sell less than 50 million units.  If the XBox Series does indeed fare better than the XBox One over its lifetime, the trend would indicate that the PS5 shouldn't sell more lifetime than the PS4 did.

PS2 - 157.68m
XBox - 24.65m
Combined - 182.33m

PS3 - 87.41m
XBox 360 - 85.80m
Combined - 173.21m

PS4 - 115.76m
XBox One - 50.19m
Combined - 165.95m

SKMBlake said:
Wman1996 said:

He didn't say Ps5 wouldn't sell more or the gap wouldn't get bigger than it is now. Most of us expect that to happen, but the gap is looking to be less than last gen. 

smroadkill15 said:
SKMBlake said:

He didn't say Ps5 wouldn't sell more or the gap wouldn't get bigger than it is now. Most of us expect that to happen, but the gap is looking to be less than last gen. 

Well, yes he did, he said he expect the Ps5 to sell less than the PS4 globally

I think the Series X|S will be around 8.5-9 million by the end of the year and PS5 will be around 16-17 million.