By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware June 20-26 - Switch Sells 376K, PS5 Sells 226K, XS Sells 136K

Mandalore76 said:

If the XBox Series does indeed fare better than the XBox One over its lifetime, the trend would indicate that the PS5 shouldn't sell more lifetime than the PS4 did.

Well so far it indicates otherwise.

Around the Network
trunkswd said:

So in the first 6 months of the year, the PS5 sold x2 consoles than the Series X/S

SKMBlake said:
smroadkill15 said:

He didn't say Ps5 wouldn't sell more or the gap wouldn't get bigger than it is now. Most of us expect that to happen, but the gap is looking to be less than last gen. 

Well, yes he did, he said he expect the Ps5 to sell less than the PS4 globally

I'm pretty positive he's talking about the gap between ps5 and Series X|S will be less than the Ps4 and X1, which is entirely possible. 

smroadkill15 said:
SKMBlake said:

Well, yes he did, he said he expect the Ps5 to sell less than the PS4 globally

I'm pretty positive he's talking about the gap between ps5 and Series X|S will be less than the Ps4 and X1, which is entirely possible. 

Weird way to put this then, cause he said (and that's a direct quote): "but I expect the PS5 to sell less globally than the PS4"

SKMBlake said:
smroadkill15 said:

Weird way to put this then, cause he said (and that's a direct quote): "but I expect the PS5 to sell less globally than the PS4"

"I expect the Series S/X to outsell the Xbox One globally, but I expect the PS5 to sell less globally than the PS4. The lead Sony had in the eighth generation will shrink."

When I read the entire sentence and not fixate on the part about the ps5 and ps4 comparison, it's really not weird. 

Around the Network
SKMBlake said:
Wman1996 said:

but I expect the PS5 to sell less globally than the PS4. The lead Sony had in the eighth generation will shrink. 

The PS5 actually sells better than the PS4 currently, and the lead is getting wider

It's still too early to make any long term predictions at this point. Clearly, the PS5 is more in demand at launch than the PS4 was.  The real test will start in September when PS4 weekly sales really started taking off. Can Sony produce enough PS5s to have multiple 300K weeks by then, and nearly 1M units on Black Friday week?  Time will tell.

XBox Series X/S should comfortably outsell the One most weeks right up until the holiday season even with current production.

Personally I think both consoles will outsell their predecessors, but the Xbox by a little bit more, if no other reason than it has a lower bar to clear than the PS5 does.  And I think both will do better because I think the past year will have a long-term effect on video game demand that will boost this entire generation.  Not saying that COVID itself will last years, but that the lockdown periods got more people into video games that will continue to enjoy them even after COVID ends in all parts of the world.

Switch: SW-3707-5131-3911
XBox: Kenjabish

SKMBlake said:
Mandalore76 said:

If the XBox Series does indeed fare better than the XBox One over its lifetime, the trend would indicate that the PS5 shouldn't sell more lifetime than the PS4 did.

Well so far it indicates otherwise.

That's why I'm talking about lifetime sales, not using less than 8 months of sales for that projection.  

yo33331 said:
smroadkill15 said:

I think the Series X|S will be around 8.5-9 million by the end of the year and PS5 will be around 16-17 million.

More like 10M for the XBOX, and around 15M for the PS5

Are you both thinking "end of the year" means first 12 months from launch? end of the year to me means calendar year, or the end of December.

By VGC at the end of 2014 PS4 was at 18.2m & XBO was at 10.3m... I know they are struggling with demand at the moment but I highly doubt there won't be some level of stockpiling for the holidays, so with both tracking ahead of predecessors id say you are both predicting too low for both consoles. Ignoring any adjustments my current prediction would be 11m for X/S & 19m for PS5.

smroadkill15 said:

I think the Series X|S will be around 8.5-9 million by the end of the year and PS5 will be around 16-17 million.

I expect the Series X/S to be around 11-12 million and the PS5 at around 18-19 million.

yo33331 said:
HigHurtenflurst said:

Are you both thinking "end of the year" means first 12 months from launch? end of the year to me means calendar year, or the end of December.

By VGC at the end of 2014 PS4 was at 18.2m & XBO was at 10.3m... I know they are struggling with demand at the moment but I highly doubt there won't be some level of stockpiling for the holidays, so with both tracking ahead of predecessors id say you are both predicting too low for both consoles. Ignoring any adjustments my current prediction would be 11m for X/S & 19m for PS5.

I am talking only about sales for this calendar year - 2021.

Xbox one did 7.5M, I think XBOX Series will do 10M or very close to it.

PS5 should reach 15M, as PS4 was at almost 14M in 2014.

Ah ok, that makes more sense.

In which case yes 15m / 10m seems about right.