By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony acquires Housemarque

SvennoJ said:
JuliusHackebeil said:

I bought it on release, played it for a bit then made the mistake of trying out the editor. That unfortunately turned me off the game, I couldn't even get the hang of moving the camera around in the editor.

It also has the problem of too much choice. What do you play, where do you start, how do you find the gems without feeling like you wasted an hour wading through mediocre stuff. Looking for good levels felt like work instead of fun and when you find one, the fun is usually over quickly.

That was at release though, no idea what it looks like now. I was always planning to come back for the VR part but haven't got to it yet.

I was in the beta and I can say that since launch they have made significant improvements. They are way better at highlighting the good stuff (old all time classics, and new, really good stuff as well). It hust feels, as if it is a bit dry on new content. I thought for sure, that we would get at least one cool new level from media molecule themselves every month. But there is already meat on the bone.

The editor, yes, still waaayyyyy too complicated (for me that is, but  it seems I'm not alone on that one). I mean, look how simple minecraft is, or animal crossing and what people make with it. There has to be a better way of doing it.

VR is cool, especially on chill weekends. Just relax and link yourselve up into the matrix of others imaginations. This is where not just VR, but all of dreams shines the most I feel: autosurf - just play whatever comes next and be delighted by the weirdness. What you don't like, just skip it. I think after that amount of time, it is worth checking out again.

Around the Network
pitzy272 said:
Azzanation said:

Never really heard of them outside of the Returnal release. I believe i might of played one of their games, Think it was Nex Machinima or something along the lines. Seems they were already 90% PS anyway. More studios do equal more control so its a good for Sony, however the fans wont see a difference.

This is quite untrue. There’s a long history of teams under Sony getting markedly better with time:  GG going from Killzone to Horizon; SSM going from a superficial GoW with dated gameplay to GoW 2018 that’s considered by many to be one of the best games of all time; Sucker Punch going from Sly to inFAMOUS to GoT; and obviously ND growing into the powerhouse they are now.

HM already stepped up their game massively with Returnal, but being allowed to grow and improve under Sony will almost without a doubt be seen by fans via even better—and possibly more—games. 

I dont disagree that having more resources and control will lead to better products in practice, that goes with majority of buyouts. However as an example, GG didn't grow over night, if anything they moved away from KZ due to the latest entry being considered by its fans and players as average. 

Lets hope it works out well for them. Nex was a decent game from my memory but it could be a shame if they went straight into another 3rd person action story telling game instead of what they were known for. But thats a wait and see appoach.

What i meant for the fans not noticing a difference is based on they already work for Sony and they dont always have to be owned for Sony to invest more into the projects. Exact same with Playground Games for Xbox.

Last edited by Azzanation - on 30 June 2021

JuliusHackebeil said:
SvennoJ said:

I bought it on release, played it for a bit then made the mistake of trying out the editor. That unfortunately turned me off the game, I couldn't even get the hang of moving the camera around in the editor.

It also has the problem of too much choice. What do you play, where do you start, how do you find the gems without feeling like you wasted an hour wading through mediocre stuff. Looking for good levels felt like work instead of fun and when you find one, the fun is usually over quickly.

That was at release though, no idea what it looks like now. I was always planning to come back for the VR part but haven't got to it yet.

I was in the beta and I can say that since launch they have made significant improvements. They are way better at highlighting the good stuff (old all time classics, and new, really good stuff as well). It hust feels, as if it is a bit dry on new content. I thought for sure, that we would get at least one cool new level from media molecule themselves every month. But there is already meat on the bone.

The editor, yes, still waaayyyyy too complicated (for me that is, but  it seems I'm not alone on that one). I mean, look how simple minecraft is, or animal crossing and what people make with it. There has to be a better way of doing it.

VR is cool, especially on chill weekends. Just relax and link yourselve up into the matrix of others imaginations. This is where not just VR, but all of dreams shines the most I feel: autosurf - just play whatever comes next and be delighted by the weirdness. What you don't like, just skip it. I think after that amount of time, it is worth checking out again.

Dreams could really use a PC companion app for the editor. I would be much more comfortable editing on my laptop with KB and mouse. It would also free up resources for debugging and undo states. They must have all that in house, but I guess the problem is getting it to work decently on any kind of PC, not just the developer boxes they have internally. Trying to edit with the ds4 just does my head in.

I'll poke my ps4 some time update Dreams, atm it's way too hot to put on a VR headset. Crazy weather.

Azzanation said:
pitzy272 said:

This is quite untrue. There’s a long history of teams under Sony getting markedly better with time:  GG going from Killzone to Horizon; SSM going from a superficial GoW with dated gameplay to GoW 2018 that’s considered by many to be one of the best games of all time; Sucker Punch going from Sly to inFAMOUS to GoT; and obviously ND growing into the powerhouse they are now.

HM already stepped up their game massively with Returnal, but being allowed to grow and improve under Sony will almost without a doubt be seen by fans via even better—and possibly more—games. 

I dont disagree that having more resources and control will lead to better products in practice, that goes with majority of buyouts. However as an example, GG didn't grow over night, if anything they moved away from KZ due to the latest entry being considered by its fans and players as average. 

Lets hope it works out well for them. Nex was a decent game from my memory but it could be a shame if they went straight into another 3rd person action story telling game instead of what they were known for. But thats a wait and see appoach.

What i meant for the fans not noticing a difference is based on they already work for Sony and they dont always have to be owned for Sony to invest more into the projects. Exact same with Playground Games for Xbox.

After working for Nex Machina and Matterfall, they said that these kind of games aren’t profitable anymore and decided to change their direction towards a multiplayer battle royale project called Stormdivers. And before releasing the game they cancelled (or put on halt) that project to work on Returnal which seemingly turned out to be a success. I don’t think they’ll return to these top-down/side-view arcade-like games, but they will likely keep part of their previous games’s identity through their upcoming titles like they did with Returnal (bullet hell experience, flashy effects etc)

SvennoJ said:
JuliusHackebeil said:

Dreams could really use a PC companion app for the editor. I would be much more comfortable editing on my laptop with KB and mouse. It would also free up resources for debugging and undo states. They must have all that in house, but I guess the problem is getting it to work decently on any kind of PC, not just the developer boxes they have internally. Trying to edit with the ds4 just does my head in.

I'll poke my ps4 some time update Dreams, atm it's way too hot to put on a VR headset. Crazy weather.

Dreams is the one 1st party game that I enthusiastically hope gets a PC release. That would help grow the player and creator base and truly make it a viable community.

Oh and they should release a PS5 version as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Around the Network
Bristow9091 said:
SvennoJ said:

Have you tried using the PS Move controllers in the editor? Makes life SO MUCH easier and just feels a whole lot more fluid to use... although I also find the Dualshock controls to be quite nice too, considering how many options are available I think they did a pretty good job at mapping everything out onto the controller the way they did. Just play through the tutorials to help get the hang of things and you'll be on your way :) 

I did use the move controllers, and I did start with the tutorials, but I couldn't complete the tutorials lol. Move is awful imo, I managed to complete fantastic contraption with them in PSVR but only because it was very forgiving in the jittery messy results.

Hopefully Dreams gets a ps5 update / re-release with new motion controllers that don't constantly drift. The button layout on move is terrible as well. They did  a good with what was available to them yet move is simply not fit for purpose anymore. It's ps3 tech that worked well enough back then in sports champions, and it was nice to support it for psvr, not to have to buy new controllers. Yet ps4 should have gotten new motion controllers a long time ago.

However I'm curious what all is new, will update soon and check it out when the weather gets a bit more reasonable.

twintail said:
Azzanation said:

Anyone expecting or hoping for HM to go back to "what they are known for" are setting themselves up for disappointment. As @Vendrom has already stated, those titles weren't bringing them the success they had hoped for. The CEO even publicly stated as much:

ARCADE IS DEAD — Housemarque

Returnal is an evolution of what they have done. Anyone who has played an older HM game will say that their DNA is very clear even in the jump to 3rd person. They are moving onto bigger and better things, and bringing their style along. 

As for GG and Horizon: they began development on that before even starting their last Killzone game. Horizon was always going to release regardless of how the last KZ entry performed. 

Then HM is dead to me. If they just aim to make more AAA/ Games like NM was so refreshing. Oh well.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

twintail said:

As for GG and Horizon: they began development on that before even starting their last Killzone game. Horizon was always going to release regardless of how the last KZ entry performed. 

Horizon being in development has nothing to do with it. He was claiming GG went from success to success and people tend to forget the low points of companies inbetween. ND also werent releasing masterpieces when Sony brought them straight away. These things dont also happen instantly. Some time it takes time and abit of luck. GG finially found something they are good at, same with ND and many other inhouse studios. GGs last game before Horizon was KZ Shadowfall way into the buyout of Sony.

SvennoJ said:
Bristow9091 said:

Have you tried using the PS Move controllers in the editor? Makes life SO MUCH easier and just feels a whole lot more fluid to use... although I also find the Dualshock controls to be quite nice too, considering how many options are available I think they did a pretty good job at mapping everything out onto the controller the way they did. Just play through the tutorials to help get the hang of things and you'll be on your way :) 

I did use the move controllers, and I did start with the tutorials, but I couldn't complete the tutorials lol. Move is awful imo, I managed to complete fantastic contraption with them in PSVR but only because it was very forgiving in the jittery messy results.

Hopefully Dreams gets a ps5 update / re-release with new motion controllers that don't constantly drift. The button layout on move is terrible as well. They did  a good with what was available to them yet move is simply not fit for purpose anymore. It's ps3 tech that worked well enough back then in sports champions, and it was nice to support it for psvr, not to have to buy new controllers. Yet ps4 should have gotten new motion controllers a long time ago.

However I'm curious what all is new, will update soon and check it out when the weather gets a bit more reasonable.

Sony should really consider a PC release for Dreams and also perhaps ship dreams with the PS5 similar to what they did with Astro's playroom - they could then advertise top levels directly in the store! No idea how they would monetize that though but does it even matter if you have a huge playerbase.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Shinobi-san said:
SvennoJ said:

Sony should really consider a PC release for Dreams and also perhaps ship dreams with the PS5 similar to what they did with Astro's playroom - they could then advertise top levels directly in the store! No idea how they would monetize that though but does it even matter if you have a huge playerbase.

Having it as a PS+ game for several months I think is enough. 

They also really need new content to promote alongside a PS5/PC release. Ideally an online social hub for people to interact with each others worlds and visit people's favourite levels etc.