By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony acquires Housemarque

So happy about this. Returnal is one of my favorite games in years. Housemarque put themselves on another level with Returnal, and I immediately started saying how Sony, if they have any intelligence, should buy them. Glad I didn’t have to wait too long. ? Honestly, Returnal had some shortcomings that prevented it from hitting mainstream popularity/success, but it was so damn good otherwise that, esp with Sony’s backing, I would put money down that Housemarque are only one or two games away from a huge hit.

Around the Network
JuliusHackebeil said:
twintail said:

The dreams / media molecule disrespect hurts with this picture. I'm still bummed out that dreams has not had a bigger success story. Or really even somewhat of a success story.

I thought the same thing. I hope it was a mistake. I mean, how hard would it be to just shrink the other banners a little bit to fit more of MM’s banner in there? I barely recognized what it was supposed to be. :(

Last edited by pitzy272 - on 29 June 2021

TallSilhouette said:
Oneeee-Chan!!! said:

Sounds like Housemarque might be going AAA - that or two teams. Will be interesting to see either way.

They’ve already had another team working on a 2nd game during Returnal’s development. 

Otter said:
Darwinianevolution said:

So when is the publisher buying spree going to end? Ir feels like every month a platform holder buys a new studio.

You're mainly think of MS. Sony has bought 2 studios in the last 2 years, each has mostly worked exclusively with them in the past before the acquisition. I suspect there will be more puchases (bluepoint and potentially emberlabs) but again these are teams that either have never worked on a multiplatform title or rarely do so. So no ones loss.

Longterm I think they're eyeing new studios that just recently formed versus buying out hugely established AAA studios.

^ this.

Sony buy smaller-mid sized studios that show talent, and have established themselves as reliable, and also ones that worked with them before (ei. they know their team and how they are). Then they try to help them take the next step, so they grow in scope (games).

Microsoft tends to buy, high (if it was stocks). They like owning things that already were successfull.  Minecraft? Bethesda? ect.
Money isnt a issue for MS.

I think they have differnt management styles too.

Like it cant be a coincidence that so many studios that end up working for MS, suddenly start makeing multiplayer, GaaS type games.
Its clearly influence by MS or directioning (ei. being told "do this").

I think Sony is more hands off, and instead supportive of whatever teams want to try. They just have high standards, and will speak out, if polish is a issue.
(ms is more open to just shipping things, and then patching it down the line, its a GaaS type anyways)

twintail said:
pitzy272 said:

They’ve already had another team working on a 2nd game during Returnal’s development. 

Im doubtful of that, at least in terms of what a 2nd team means. HM are maybe 100 employees. If they're scaling up it wont be for a 2nd team. 

They may have begun preproduction on a new game but thats not necessarily a new team. It'll be those who dont need to be working on Returnal anymore. And the rest will follow. 

Also I believe they mentioned new Returnal content, so there's that too.

IDR where I heard it from—I think from Colin Moriarty on his Sacred Symbols podcast—but I think what was said was “HM has also been working on a second game,” making it sound as tho there’s been simultaneous development going on for Returnal and this other game.

New Returnal content?? Any specifics?

Around the Network

Another great studio to join PS.

I really hope they expand to a point where they can do 2 games simultaneously. 1 AAA type game and another more similar to Resogun/Stardust etc.

I would hate if they stopped working on those type of games completely to focus on story driven games - Sony has enough of that.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Never really heard of them outside of the Returnal release. I believe i might of played one of their games, Think it was Nex Machinima or something along the lines. Seems they were already 90% PS anyway. More studios do equal more control so its a good for Sony, however the fans wont see a difference.

Azzanation said:

Never really heard of them outside of the Returnal release. I believe i might of played one of their games, Think it was Nex Machinima or something along the lines. Seems they were already 90% PS anyway. More studios do equal more control so its a good for Sony, however the fans wont see a difference.

They were essentially second party with Sony publishing their games, now they have full backing as a first party developer. There's a lot both parties can benefit on being that both can share tech from one another and HM geting more funds for upcoming project and games. They must have started talks of acquisition before/during the development of Returnal and I'm guessing this is part of the result. Bigger budget game from their usual output (they were more Indie/arcade dev) the next games will get bigger as they expand and join the PS team.

But yeah, quite exciting stuff. Wonder if they'll look into other in-house engines like Decima or stick to UE.

Azzanation said:

This is quite untrue. There’s a long history of teams under Sony getting markedly better with time:  GG going from Killzone to Horizon; SSM going from a superficial GoW with dated gameplay to GoW 2018 that’s considered by many to be one of the best games of all time; Sucker Punch going from Sly to inFAMOUS to GoT; and obviously ND growing into the powerhouse they are now.

HM already stepped up their game massively with Returnal, but being allowed to grow and improve under Sony will almost without a doubt be seen by fans via even better—and possibly more—games. 

twintail said:
pitzy272 said:

IDR where I heard it from—I think from Colin Moriarty on his Sacred Symbols podcast—but I think what was said was “HM has also been working on a second game,” making it sound as tho there’s been simultaneous development going on for Returnal and this other game.

New Returnal content?? Any specifics?

If they have a 2nd game in development that would be cool.

Nothing specific on the content front, just that they were doing it. Maybe with this acquisition announcement we will get details at the Sony event (whenever it is)

Well they were working on a Battle Royale game for a while, but my understanding was that they ceased production on that to focus on Returnal. Maybe the 2nd game represents that BR game, but I hope not, personally.