By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony acquires Housemarque

twintail said:
Leynos said:

I'm actually for this. They do great work and have only worked with Sony last gen and this. Great developer. Maybe now they can have the financial security to try a Nex Machina again or a Resogun.

Doubtful. They're going bigger, which is exactly what they should be doing.

Dulfite said:

I like it when Sony buys studios I'm unfamiliar with and whose games I haven't played. Not saying this as a troll, just as a Nintendo and PC gamer I'd prefer Sony buy studios like this, where I don't know what I'm missing, than them buying a studio that regularly makes popular 3rd party games.

I can't tell if this is genuine or just sarcastic. But the Sony modus operandi is to buy studios who they have have worked with on a lot of exclusive content (Sony IP), not studios who are predominantly multiplatform. 

They could still get a small team every so often to make something similar. It's their best work.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network

Welcome to the family, Housemarque!

Leynos said:
twintail said:

Doubtful. They're going bigger, which is exactly what they should be doing.

Dulfite said:

I like it when Sony buys studios I'm unfamiliar with and whose games I haven't played. Not saying this as a troll, just as a Nintendo and PC gamer I'd prefer Sony buy studios like this, where I don't know what I'm missing, than them buying a studio that regularly makes popular 3rd party games.

I can't tell if this is genuine or just sarcastic. But the Sony modus operandi is to buy studios who they have have worked with on a lot of exclusive content (Sony IP), not studios who are predominantly multiplatform. 

They could still get a small team every so often to make something similar. It's their best work.

They could, but consider that no other Sony studio does that, and it's because of those games that HM was struggling financially as a studio - the interest in those sort of games just isn't there. 

I mean, I think it would be great if they could continue those sort of games, but I think HM is going to be a better studio offering Returnal-esque games with their arcade gameplay experience. I mean, just imagine Returnal as a metroidvania: would be incredible. 

Great fit for Playstation! Returnal reminds me a lot of Doom: Eternal in terms of tight, frantic, arcade gameplay. Another in house studio that Sony might expand into two teams. 

Last edited by PotentHerbs - on 29 June 2021

Makes sense, I mean, both HouseMarque and Blue Points have been working exclusively for Sony. The only difference between them and other Sony's teams is they weren't owned by them.

This type of acquisition is just a no brainer.

Now, I'm wondering if Nintendo could ever make such a move in the future or simply rely on good 3rd party relationships with studios like Platinum Games, Grasshoper or Mercury Steam ....

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Around the Network
twintail said:

They could, but consider that no other Sony studio does that, and it's because of those games that HM was struggling financially as a studio - the interest in those sort of games just isn't there. 

Sony has been doing more and more with smaller side productions.

Media Molecule had a small side team working on Tearaway, while the rest was working on Dreams.

Naughty Dog - Uncharted Lost Legacy

Insomniac Games - Spiderman Miles Morales

And there's another one heavily rumored to be coming.

the-pi-guy said:
twintail said:

Media Molecule had a small side team working on Tearaway, while the rest was working on Dreams.

None of these are Nex Machina/ Resogun in terms of scale/ scope, which was my point. 

But yes, you are right: these sort of side games do exist when the studio carves out the time for it. 

twintail said:
the-pi-guy said:

None of these are Nex Machina/ Resogun in terms of scale/ scope, which was my point. 

But yes, you are right: these sort of side games do exist when the studio carves out the time for it. 

They worked with Eugene Jarvis and a film documentary crew on Nex Machina. Not as small as you think.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

An interesting interview with the studio director and Herman Hulst said they want to make bigger and more ambitious titles and are planning on expanding.

Ilari Kuittinen: "Returnal is kind of a stepping stone for us. When we’re thinking about the future titles, they’ll maybe be even bigger and even more ambitious."

Herman Hulst: They’ll be invited to forums such as a studio head forum, where we share a lot of initiatives, ideas and technology. It's hard for him to comment coming in from the outside on what he's going to benefit from, but I can tell you from experience it's going to be quite a lot. It's entirely voluntary. He gets to run his team, gets to maintain the culture and we’ll obviously protect that. But we're going to be able to offer a lot to Housemarque going forward.

Bristow9091 said:
JuliusHackebeil said:

The dreams / media molecule disrespect hurts with this picture. I'm still bummed out that dreams has not had a bigger success story. Or really even somewhat of a success story.

... That's the Dreams logo on the far right, the orange circle and purple square on the background, lol;

Yeah, I noticed. I was unclear above. I meant to say that the logo should have been more to the center and not half cut off.

Dreams was actually my most played game last year. Such a shame it did not break through to mainstream audiences