By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony acquires Housemarque

Shinobi-san said:
SvennoJ said:

Sony should really consider a PC release for Dreams and also perhaps ship dreams with the PS5 similar to what they did with Astro's playroom - they could then advertise top levels directly in the store! No idea how they would monetize that though but does it even matter if you have a huge playerbase.

Can't agree more with this. If dreams was preinstalled, or would come with the next update to eversbody, all their problems could go away. But if nobody plays it at that point, it could prematurely be deemed a lost cause by some higher ups. On the flipside, it almost certainly feels like a lost cause now. Some really cool experiences on dreams, but not much interest.

To bring this back to the thread topic: I hope Sony gets better/more open/more creative with pricing, distribution and promotion.

In hindsight it feels returnal was not priced like that because of its intrinsic value, but because it was a first party ps5 release. My gut feeling is that if the game started at 50 € and not 70, it could have become a way bigger success.

Also, all the trailers up to wayyy to close to release were too short, with too many cuts and you could not get a good feeling for what it truely is. 

Also, ambition is crippling if you spread yourselve too thin. HM could have almost not produce a fully priced AAA game that is returnal. And now they want to go bigger? I'm sceptical. Perhaps they should try another smaller game, before trying to go (in price and therefore in expected scale) toe to toe with Insomniac or SuckerPunch.

Around the Network
twintail said:
Azzanation said:

Horizon being in development has nothing to do with it. He was claiming GG went from success to success and people tend to forget the low points of companies inbetween. ND also werent releasing masterpieces when Sony brought them straight away. These things dont also happen instantly. Some time it takes time and abit of luck. GG finially found something they are good at, same with ND and many other inhouse studios. GGs last game before Horizon was KZ Shadowfall way into the buyout of Sony.

Horizon being in development first seems important to me when you claimed that the perceptions of KZSF resulted in them moving away from the IP, which is rather baseless. 

As for the other point you were making: I don't necessarily disagree with your thoughts. It's not an overnight change, but Sony clearly have a structure in place that can afford them success. I do believe that HM are primed to see more success in their coming ventures, but I suppose we won't know until we know.

I think we are seeing different views from GG and its progression. I am just stating that they moved away from Killzone due to it not hitting its mark anymore, they have found something better. They have moved away from KZ because currently they have no intention on making another one (yet)

Lets hope HM do even better, however i don't have a lot faith in believing companies will guarantee success just because they are owned. Sony definitely doesn't have a perfect record here if history shows. No company is perfect. Sony are doing great as of late however lets not forget the past eg: closures etc. This goes for every company not just Sony.

Last edited by Azzanation - on 01 July 2021

Bristow9091 said:
JuliusHackebeil said:

Also, ambition is crippling if you spread yourselve too thin. HM could have almost not produce a fully priced AAA game that is returnal. And now they want to go bigger? I'm sceptical. Perhaps they should try another smaller game, before trying to go (in price and therefore in expected scale) toe to toe with Insomniac or SuckerPunch.

Their first AAA attempt scored 86 on Metacritic and players loved it too, it also must've sold pretty well if Sony were happy enough to buy them and allow them to expand and start working on even bigger games... honestly they'll be fine. The only reason people are worrying is because we don't have sales figures for the game.

That is a good point and I generally agree. But let me just add, that I strongly suspect that they were already bought before releasing Returnal.

But again, yes, I also suspect, that they'll be fine. 86 is a really strong number. And honestly, as soon as I can get a PS5, I will buy returnal, looks super cool.

If I recall correctly, Returnal was announced as a franchise (in the first ps5-stream). Perhaps the best marker of Returnals success will be if it actually gets a sequel as intended.

No spoilers please, but what could a Returnal sequel look like? I'd love for HM to go top down and side-scrolling in different parts of a potential second game.

Apparently Sony weren't the only party interested in purchasing Housemarque.

'Usual Suspects, ie major players in the field from China, Sweden and the United States,” Kuittinen said. “I have to say that there is a very special spring behind us and the fact that we have been competing even feels a little surreal. In our discussions, it became clear that Sony wanted to buy us because we are doing something that others are not doing. Their starting point has not been that we would start making games according to the formula defined by Sony.” Source.

Sweden- Embracer Group?

China- Tencent?

United States- Microsoft/EA/Epic?

There seems to almost a goldrush at the moment to buyout developers. So Sony may have had to act quickly and even pre-emptively to secure them. 

Last edited by Dallinor - on 04 July 2021