By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony acquires Housemarque

Housemarque is a really good fit. Can't say it is a surprise, but good for them. I play mostly on PS and would be disappointed, if they were bought up by Microsoft (or Nintendo I guess). But I can't say I fully support all these studio acquisitions at large. If somebody with promise struggles and company x with big bucks can support them and their creative endevours, sure. And perhaps a lot of studio acquisitions are that. Another upside is, that games exclusive for one console can be specifically made for that hardware - fewer technical headaches could mean more resources for creative expression. But Housmarque makes really cool games and if they are now locked behind PS, everyone without one is out of luck concerning their games.
Perhaps it is a good thing, that more PS exclusives receive a PC port. Let the hardcore hash it out over exclusive games for the first 2, 3 years and who can't, or is not willing to afford all options, can play any game after that amount of time on any platform. Everything exclusive just for 2, 3 years. I think that would be cool, but is ultimately very unlikely. Given the many studio acquisitions of the recent past (Housmarque, Insomniac, Bethesda, etc.) things develop actually in the opposite direction.

Around the Network
Bandorr said:
trunkswd said:

The third-party developer could end up working on games for other platforms, while acquiring them ensures they only develop for you. It is similar with Microsoft's acquisition of Playground Games a few years ago. 

PLAYGROUND thank you I couldn't remember of it. Thought it was called turn 5 or something lol. Or similar to Nintendo buying Next level games. I have nothing against these purchases. I mean these companies make mostly exclusives for one platform so it is no big loss to anyone else.

I guess "time" is the answer.  If the company is working on game X they won't have as much time/money/expertise to apply to game Y. So you buy the studio so that they always have time for you. Makes sense.

Thanks.

Once they're internally owned they're typically scaled up and their developement and what they develop on becomes more aligned with the companies overall objective.

Very good news today! PlayStation got even better.

Oneeee-Chan!!! said:

Sounds like Housemarque might be going AAA - that or two teams. Will be interesting to see either way.

Around the Network

I'm actually for this. They do great work and have only worked with Sony last gen and this. Great developer. Maybe now they can have the financial security to try a Nex Machina again or a Resogun.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

I like it when Sony buys studios I'm unfamiliar with and whose games I haven't played. Not saying this as a troll, just as a Nintendo and PC gamer I'd prefer Sony buy studios like this, where I don't know what I'm missing, than them buying a studio that regularly makes popular 3rd party games.

Great get by Sony. Returnal seems to have been a success.

twintail said:
Leynos said:

I'm actually for this. They do great work and have only worked with Sony last gen and this. Great developer. Maybe now they can have the financial security to try a Nex Machina again or a Resogun.

Doubtful. They're going bigger, which is exactly what they should be doing.

Dulfite said:

I like it when Sony buys studios I'm unfamiliar with and whose games I haven't played. Not saying this as a troll, just as a Nintendo and PC gamer I'd prefer Sony buy studios like this, where I don't know what I'm missing, than them buying a studio that regularly makes popular 3rd party games.

I can't tell if this is genuine or just sarcastic. But the Sony modus operandi is to buy studios who they have have worked with on a lot of exclusive content (Sony IP), not studios who are predominantly multiplatform. 

They could still get a small team every so often to make something similar. It's their best work.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Welcome to the family, Housemarque!