By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony acquires Housemarque

Congrats to Housemarque and Sony. It's a good fit of course.

Around the Network
twintail said:

The dreams / media molecule disrespect hurts with this picture. I'm still bummed out that dreams has not had a bigger success story. Or really even somewhat of a success story.

Housemarque is a really good fit. Can't say it is a surprise, but good for them. I play mostly on PS and would be disappointed, if they were bought up by Microsoft (or Nintendo I guess). But I can't say I fully support all these studio acquisitions at large. If somebody with promise struggles and company x with big bucks can support them and their creative endevours, sure. And perhaps a lot of studio acquisitions are that. Another upside is, that games exclusive for one console can be specifically made for that hardware - fewer technical headaches could mean more resources for creative expression. But Housmarque makes really cool games and if they are now locked behind PS, everyone without one is out of luck concerning their games.
Perhaps it is a good thing, that more PS exclusives receive a PC port. Let the hardcore hash it out over exclusive games for the first 2, 3 years and who can't, or is not willing to afford all options, can play any game after that amount of time on any platform. Everything exclusive just for 2, 3 years. I think that would be cool, but is ultimately very unlikely. Given the many studio acquisitions of the recent past (Housmarque, Insomniac, Bethesda, etc.) things develop actually in the opposite direction.

JuliusHackebeil said:
twintail said:

The dreams / media molecule disrespect hurts with this picture. I'm still bummed out that dreams has not had a bigger success story. Or really even somewhat of a success story.

... That's the Dreams logo on the far right, the orange circle and purple square on the background, lol;

I don't really "get" these types of purchases. How is funding a third party exclusive different than funding a first-party exclusive.
Can you not give money/time/experience/software/equipment etc to a company that is helping making a game?

Guess it reminds me of a marriage. There are a couple legal differences between "dating" and "married" but in general the concept is the same either way. So what are the differences between contracting a third party -and owning one?

• Deadliest mass shooting by an individual in US history (10/01/2017)
  • Deadliest high school shooting in US history (02/14/2018)
  • Deadliest massacre of Jews in US history (10/27/2018)
  • Political assassination attempt of TWO former presidents(and 10+ other people)  (10/23/2018 - and beyond)
Around the Network

I know this thread is about Housemarque, but Japanese PlayStation Twitter might have leaked a Bluepoint acquisition as well.

PlayStation May Have Leaked A Bluepoint Games Acquisition 

Sony Interactive Entertainment may have accidentally leaked an acquisition of the Demon’s Souls and Shadow of the Colossus remake developer Bluepoint Games.

The official Japanese PlayStation Twitter account posted an image with the PlayStation Studios logo and Bluepoint Games logo that also included the text "Welcome to the Family." In the background it includes screenshots of first-party games, including the Demon’s Souls remake. The tweet has since been deleted.

Sony Interactive Entertainment earlier today announced it had acquired Returnal developer Housemarque with a very similar image, but without a screenshot from the Demon’s Souls remake. 

Source: VGChartz.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Bandorr said:

I don't really "get" these types of purchases. How is funding a third party exclusive different than funding a first-party exclusive.
Can you not give money/time/experience/software/equipment etc to a company that is helping making a game?

Guess it reminds me of a marriage. There are a couple legal differences between "dating" and "married" but in general the concept is the same either way. So what are the differences between contracting a third party -and owning one?

The third-party developer could end up working on games for other platforms, while acquiring them ensures they only develop for you. It is similar with Microsoft's acquisition of Playground Games a few years ago. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

trunkswd said:
Bandorr said:

The third-party developer could end up working on games for other platforms, while acquiring them ensures they only develop for you. It is similar with Microsoft's acquisition of Playground Games a few years ago. 

PLAYGROUND thank you I couldn't remember of it. Thought it was called turn 5 or something lol. Or similar to Nintendo buying Next level games. I have nothing against these purchases. I mean these companies make mostly exclusives for one platform so it is no big loss to anyone else.

I guess "time" is the answer.  If the company is working on game X they won't have as much time/money/expertise to apply to game Y. So you buy the studio so that they always have time for you. Makes sense.

Thanks.

• Deadliest mass shooting by an individual in US history (10/01/2017)
  • Deadliest high school shooting in US history (02/14/2018)
  • Deadliest massacre of Jews in US history (10/27/2018)
  • Political assassination attempt of TWO former presidents(and 10+ other people)  (10/23/2018 - and beyond)
Bandorr said:
trunkswd said:

PLAYGROUND thank you I couldn't remember of it. Thought it was called turn 5 or something lol. Or similar to Nintendo buying Next level games. I have nothing against these purchases. I mean these companies make mostly exclusives for one platform so it is no big loss to anyone else.

I guess "time" is the answer.  If the company is working on game X they won't have as much time/money/expertise to apply to game Y. So you buy the studio so that they always have time for you. Makes sense.

Thanks.

Turn 10 is the Forza Motorsport developer, while Playground develops Forza Horizon and the upcoming Fable game. 

Amazing acquisition, I know Returnal 2 would be bigger with a nice budget and more internal overseeing It would Meta in the 90's or close to it. they took on Gears 5 and went up by 2 points, Returnal 2 should go even higher. I think Returnal is a 3rd person shooter shoot em up? but , this and Bluepoint are best news today.

Last edited by dx11332sega - on 29 June 2021

Cute and honest Sega Saturn fan, also noone should buy Sega grrrr, Sega for life.