By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy series appreciation thread

Tagged games:

Are you hyped for Final Fantasy XVI

Yes 19 46.34%

Maybe 9 21.95%

No 13 31.71%

Total:41

9 was my entry point. Solid game! 7 was my next one, excellent. I'm on 8 now but find myself super bored. I'd like to play 1-6 one day ad I played Dragon Quest 1-2 recently and loved those. Even though 7 was a better game, I enjoyed 9 more for it's setting, music, and character development. So 9 is my favorite so far.

Around the Network

If u can get past the draw systems to power your stats then u will love the game. The story is slow burn and its gets better the more u play it. 

Dulfite said:

9 was my entry point. Solid game! 7 was my next one, excellent. I'm on 8 now but find myself super bored. I'd like to play 1-6 one day ad I played Dragon Quest 1-2 recently and loved those. Even though 7 was a better game, I enjoyed 9 more for it's setting, music, and character development. So 9 is my favorite so far.

Mar1217 said:

Final Fantasy has been a series that left me on the ground recently with the way they handled the series in this past generations. Not saying it can't come back from these catastrophic years or still has yet but let me be clear,

There was a time to me where FF games were the gold standard of video games, the first ones I understood why video games were simply great and could more signification than simple fun. FFI, FFIV, FFVI and especially FFX graced me with some of the most founded memories I have in my VG history with the medium. It's something that will stay.

I'm gonna list my favorite moments from the main games that I have played. There are sooooooo many epic and emotional moments to chose from so it was very hard sometimes.

FFI:

Spoiler!
Finding the airship! And realizing the amount of freedom it gives you.

FFII:

Spoiler!
Getting swallowed by the Leviathan and making your way through its intestines. So gross yet so awesome.

FFIII:

Spoiler!
Being shot from the sky above Saronia and landing between two rivaling armies in the middle of war. This came out of nowhere to me and took me by surprise.

FFIV:

Spoiler!
Unknowingly destroying a peaceful village due to blindly following orders by a king gone mad and killing most of the inhabitants. This felt so disgustingly wrong to me and set a very dark tone to the story while being one of the very first events in the entire game.

FFV:

Spoiler!
The battle to the death between Galuf and Exdeath. Galuf is the first main character to die in the series, long before Aerith. He is a man of focus, commitment, and sheer fucking will. A true hero with balls of steel that deserves the highest honours.

FFVI:

Spoiler!
Kefka going nuts and killing a lot of Espers that have escaped through the sealed gate, as well as killing General Leo in a disgustingly humiliating manner. That was the moment when I started to hate him.

FFVII:

Spoiler!
When you are arrested in the Shinra HQ. In the middle of the night you wake up and see that trail of blood on the floor, as if somebody with serious injuries had been dragged over the entire floor, accompanied by that terrifying scary music. I had cold shivers running down my back! WTF happened here?

FFVIII:

Spoiler!
The clash of the Gardens was epic and got my blood pumping!

FFIX:

Spoiler!
Alexander versus Bahamut. It can't get any more epic than that!

FFXII:

Spoiler!
I will always remember finding and battling Cúchulainn in the Garamseyth Waterways. This was intensity on max! The fight with him is furiously tough because I wasn't prepared at all against his nasty tricks and I saw myself steadily running out of healing items, but in the last moment I still managed to beat the fucker. Had to take short break and catch my breath again after that.

FFXIII:

Spoiler!

Making your way through Palumpolum as Lightning and Hope when suddenly you get surrounded by an overwhelming army of PSIKOM soldiers, but then Snow and Fang arrive to save you. For the next sections Hope gets teamed up with Snow and he hates Snow so much because Snow is responsible for the death of Hopes mother, so he wants to take revenge on Snow. Hope even has to listen to Snows constant bragging how he's going to save them all and how he thinks he's the big hero, which of course fuels Hope's hatered even further while Snow has no clue at all. I love the setup of this conflict and how it escalates. Hope even has a knife ready and is mere seconds away from stabbing Snow in the back.

In that same sense, the conflict between Vanille and Sazh is also really deep and I felt sorry for poor Sazh so much.

Final Fantasy I was my first. I found it difficult since I was kid but that's what got me started and hooked.

Final Fantasy 9 is my all time favorite FF. I loved the PS1 co-op feature and upset that it never got put on the remaster.

I might be the black sheep here but I really enjoyed FFXV. Noctis is my favorite FF character; his background, style, and to summon a bunch of swords out of the blue is pretty bad@$$.

I really wish Tetsuya Nomura stayed on the project as I feel it would've been different and better overall, and better executed, since the current FFXV game we have now the main story and DLC are all over the place. I know it will never happen but I'd love it if Nomura could released his version of the game whether as FF Versus XV? or even as a book? ...We got the Snyder Cut for Justice League so why not this lol

Recently started playing FF12. The only other FF I played were 4 on the DS and 7. The thing is I find the espers useless and wondering if I should continue to find the others, currently have 7. I also agree that the Cúchulainn fight was challenging.

Around the Network
pmaster4 said:

Recently started playing FF12. The only other FF I played were 4 on the DS and 7. The thing is I find the espers useless and wondering if I should continue to find the others, currently have 7. I also agree that the Cúchulainn fight was challenging.

Cool, which ones do you have so far? Belias, Mateus and Cúchulainn should be obvious, what else?

The espers are basically sidequests. If you're into that kind of thing they and their locations might tell you little backstories that can enlarge the scope of your time in Ivalice a bit. Using them in battle is indeed rather unnecessary, most of the times you'll have many more efficient ways to deal with the enemies. But I like the lore behind them, the link to star signs, the fact that every one of them represents a different element, and the connection to other creaturs of the Final Fantasy series. Did you know that some of them are references to final bosses of the first five games?

V-r0cK said:

Final Fantasy I was my first. I found it difficult since I was kid but that's what got me started and hooked.

Final Fantasy 9 is my all time favorite FF. I loved the PS1 co-op feature and upset that it never got put on the remaster.

I might be the black sheep here but I really enjoyed FFXV. Noctis is my favorite FF character; his background, style, and to summon a bunch of swords out of the blue is pretty bad@$$.

I really wish Tetsuya Nomura stayed on the project as I feel it would've been different and better overall, and better executed, since the current FFXV game we have now the main story and DLC are all over the place. I know it will never happen but I'd love it if Nomura could released his version of the game whether as FF Versus XV? or even as a book? ...We got the Snyder Cut for Justice League so why not this lol

I agree, Noctis is actually quite well designed and his fighting style is absolutely unique and supercool.

It has the best soundtrack of any entertainment franchise in history.

GoOnKid said:

I'm gonna list my favorite moments from the main games that I have played. There are sooooooo many epic and emotional moments to chose from so it was very hard sometimes.

FFIV:

Spoiler!
Unknowingly destroying a peaceful village due to blindly following orders by a king gone mad and killing most of the inhabitants. This felt so disgustingly wrong to me and set a very dark tone to the story while being one of the very first events in the entire game.

Final Fantasy IV has a lot of memorable moments. But for me, the most powerful are:

Spoiler!

- Destroying the Village (the one you mentioned)

- Cecil becoming Paladin. His level resets, but he's even more powerful.

- Palom and Porom's "sacrifice".

- Edward see Anna's spirit.

- Tellah dies by using Meteo.

Could go on.

Man, it's been like 15 years since I first played this game, and it's still my favorite in the series.

Last edited by Alex_The_Hedgehog - on 07 June 2021

I'm team FF 4,6,9. I've enjoyed others but those were my favorite. I enjoyed Final Fantasy 7 Remake quite a bit so that is at least getting my attention for next one. Final Fantasy XV was the first mainline Final Fantasy that I didn't finish, I just got bored with it.