By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What is your opinion on gaming subscription services?

My opinion is best summed up as:

Subscribed to at least one and like it 36 36.36%

Subscribed to at least one and not a fan 6 6.06%

Thinking about subscribing 6 6.06%

Was a subscriber and lapsed 4 4.04%

Will subscribe for big games and then drop 4 4.04%

Zero interest at all 28 28.28%

None of the current subs ... 8 8.08%

Other 7 7.07%

Total:99
Conina said:
SvennoJ said:

A lot of that is or used to be on tv, exactly proving my point. Now behind different subscription walls.

On streaming services I can watch these TV-episodes (or even whole seasons) when I want to and in my own pace. I can pause them, rewind them, switch between languages (most are better in English, but for some of them I prefer the German localization.

On streaming services I can watch these TV-episodes without commercial breaks and without annoying channel logos.

On streaming services I can watch these TV-episodes in a better image and sound quality... many of the newer series in 4K HDR + Dolby Vision + Dolby Atmos.

How much are you paying for your cable TV per month?  The canadian average is over 50 bucks per month:

https://www.chatelaine.com/living/budgeting/cable-cost-canada-faq/

Ever heard of a DVR? It has all those benefits, plus my cable provider has play on demand for most regular tv. I get better image and sound quality from cable than from Netflix, higher bandwidth. (Not paying extra for compressed 4K). There are plenty nights Netflix doesn't work, responds slow or drops to abysmal quality, network congestion. I never have that with cable, always works.

However I pay 16 a month for Netflix and yep a lot more for cable, 280 a month, but that includes unlimited high speed internet, mobile phone, home phone, whole home dvr system, high speed modem and dvr rentals. It's a lot, yet Netflix is the extra cost and doesn't work without internet access anyway. (Internet is the big expense here, overpriced as well as mobile phone plans)

Cable tv isn't great, but it's made less and less appealing by streaming taking the shows I like away, and now physical releases as well. And since wife and kids also use cable and netflix, I can't exactly switch things around to follow my particular likes.

Around the Network
Raven said:
Runa216 said:

No, but it clearly triggers you that I don't agree with the majority. Your hypocrisy is mindblowing. 

You've been repeating yourself over and over for the last several pages so you could have the last word on your argument any time someone does agree with the majority. It's obnoxious and sad honestly. 

Everyone has been repeating themselves on this board for months now about everything. It's called having an opinion. That is the purpose of a forum. At least I bring more information to the discussions by elaborating on my points and giving examples to back up my stances. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Runa216 said:
Raven said:

You've been repeating yourself over and over for the last several pages so you could have the last word on your argument any time someone does agree with the majority. It's obnoxious and sad honestly. 

Everyone has been repeating themselves on this board for months now about everything. It's called having an opinion. That is the purpose of a forum. At least I bring more information to the discussions by elaborating on my points and giving examples to back up my stances. 

The only thing you've shown any real example of in this thread is how far out of one's way somebody can go to be condescending towards anyone who disagrees with them.

You somehow managed to go from, and you'll excuse me for paraphrasing, "hey man...can't deny that people who play games via GP are more casual gamers than us real gamers who collect all the things," to "wow....can't believe you people with GP find the time to play SOOO many games! How is it even possible to be such a hardcore gamer that you can get ALL that value out of GP, and still find time to do literally anything else?!" That after coming into this thread in the first place, nose up, going "aw-shucks, it really sucks how it feels like there's all this underlying malice behind this discussion." The fucking irony.

You're not trying to have an intellectually honest argument with anyone about the merits of a subscription service. If you gotta argue up is down, down is up, and hot is cold...you don't care. You're just looking for whatever angle seems convenient to you at any given moment to have a dig at someone who has a different point of view from your own. Get over yourself. At the very least, consider doing yourself the favor of knowing when to quit and exit stage left.

Conina said:

Fei-Hung said:

Anyone realise Netflix does a lot of bad copy jobs. They have about half a dozen fake Great British Bake Off's, fake Kitchen Nightmares, and a bunch of other filler content.

Right now I mostly use Netflix for Korean series and anime.

I don't care about their bad content.

Still need to find more time for the content I like they are offering:

• After Life
  • Alice in Borderland
  • Altered Carbon
  • Arrested Development
  • Bad Blood
  • Better Call Saul
  • Black Mirror
  • BoJack Horseman
  • Castlevania
  • Chilling Adventures of Sabrina
  • Cobra Kai
  • Dark
  • Dirk Gently's Holistic Agency
  • Disenchantment
  • Fargo
  • Godless
  • Happy
  • Jupiter's Legacy
  • Knightfall
  • Money Heist (La casa de papel)
  • Lemony Snicket
  • Locke & Key
  • Love, Death & Robots
  • Marco Polo
  • Mindhunters
  • Narcos
  • Narcos: Mexico
  • Orange is the New Black
  • Orphan Black
  • Ozark
  • Peaky Blinders
  • Rick and Morty
  • Shadow and Bone
  • Sherlock
  • Sons of Anarchy
  • Star Trek: Discovery
  • Stranger Things
  • Suits
  • The Americans
  • The Blacklist
  • The Crown
  • The Irregulars
  • The Last Kingdom
  • The Punisher
  • The Queen's Gambit
  • The Serpent
  • The Umbrella Academy
  • The Walking Dead
  • The Witcher
  • Tiger King
  • Titans
  • Travelers
  • Vikings

No one cares about the bag content as long as their is enough good content that has a decent budget. From what I've seen, things like:

1) Stranger things

2) Locke and Key

3) The Witcher

4) umbrella academy

5) chefs table

6) Queens Gambit

7) money heist

8) wild wild country

9) mind hunters

10) travelers

11) Vincenzo

12) Alice in Borderlands

13) Lucifer

14 Vikings

16) the Alienist

17) the ranch

18) Marlon

19) love, death and robots

20) handsome siblings

21) uncanny counters

22) Castlevania

23) transformers anime

24) chilling adventures of Sabrina

25) cobra Kai

26) Jupiter's legacy

27) 6 underground

So much more original big budget Netflix stuff out there. 

If you liked Tiger King, I really recommend Wild Wild Country. It's about a cult that almost took over a whole city in America and where the term love guru comes from. It's bizarre how this all happened so recently too 

Runa216 said:
EnricoPallazzo said:

Subscribed to Gamepass after being with playstation for 20 years. And its amazing.
Not only I save a lot of money but also I can try so many different games that I would otherwise never play, from AAA to indie titles. Its brilliant.

I'm genuinely curious how anyone has time to 'try games I would otherwise never play'. I can't even keep up with the games I own, and I've got dozens of games I know I'll love rotting in my collection that I still can't get to. I know I'll love nioh 2 and Horizon Zero Dawn and FFVII Remake and Mortal Shell and Salt and Sanctuary and Bayonetta and Ghost of Tsushima and South Park the Fractured But Whole/Stick of Truth and the Batman Arkham trilogy and Persona 5 and...so many others I own but haven't gotten around to playing. 

How does anyone have time to work, have healthy relationships, and play so many games? I genuinely thought my game library was vast and varied and diverse but I feel genuinely inadequate compared to some of you folks. 

Who needs 599 games if 550 of them you'll never play or pick up once and never touch again? 

You don't need to play 49 games a month to get the value.  In most cases, just a single game a month eclipses what you pay for that month, especially when you consider 10 bucks of the 15 is already added to Live Gold.  If I play Outriders for example for less than a month, that is 4 months of direct dollar for dollar value of what I would have paid for full price.  The large selection is for mass appeal, not for someone to play every single game.  There is something for everyone and content is added regularly to keep it fresh.

As for the time, I dunno I get great value from it and I work full time, married with 4 kids, go to the gym, and still play games I buy at full price.  Right now I am hooked on MHR and I am finishing up RE8.  Balancing is a lot easier with proper planning than some lead on.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network

Let's face it, eventually Game Pass will be like this:

Angelus said:
Runa216 said:

The only thing you've shown any real example of in this thread is how far out of one's way somebody can go to be condescending towards anyone who disagrees with them.

You somehow managed to go from, and you'll excuse me for paraphrasing, "hey man...can't deny that people who play games via GP are more casual gamers than us real gamers who collect all the things," to "wow....can't believe you people with GP find the time to play SOOO many games! How is it even possible to be such a hardcore gamer that you can get ALL that value out of GP, and still find time to do literally anything else?!" That after coming into this thread in the first place, nose up, going "aw-shucks, it really sucks how it feels like there's all this underlying malice behind this discussion." The fucking irony.

You're not trying to have an intellectually honest argument with anyone about the merits of a subscription service. If you gotta argue up is down, down is up, and hot is cold...you don't care. You're just looking for whatever angle seems convenient to you at any given moment to have a dig at someone who has a different point of view from your own. Get over yourself. At the very least, consider doing yourself the favor of knowing when to quit and exit stage left.

Ok.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Angelus said:
Runa216 said:

I thought this was a thread about opinions about game pass, not a thread on praising game pass. Any criticism of game pass on its long term outlook and possible effects on future games seem to be very unwanted here, filed under, you simply don't like it. Which happens to be an opinion as well.

Apparently many people like the 'original' content Netflix puts out. There are a few good ones, but imo, most of it is very meh. Definitely not as good as stuff like House, The Mentalist and Pushing Daisies, Boston Legal, Better Late than Never, Dirty Jobs. Mr Robot were.

Anyway, opinions are clear by now, time will tell how it all pans out.

Last edited by SvennoJ - on 10 May 2021

Runa216 said:
EnricoPallazzo said:

Subscribed to Gamepass after being with playstation for 20 years. And its amazing.
Not only I save a lot of money but also I can try so many different games that I would otherwise never play, from AAA to indie titles. Its brilliant.

I'm genuinely curious how anyone has time to 'try games I would otherwise never play'. I can't even keep up with the games I own, and I've got dozens of games I know I'll love rotting in my collection that I still can't get to. I know I'll love nioh 2 and Horizon Zero Dawn and FFVII Remake and Mortal Shell and Salt and Sanctuary and Bayonetta and Ghost of Tsushima and South Park the Fractured But Whole/Stick of Truth and the Batman Arkham trilogy and Persona 5 and...so many others I own but haven't gotten around to playing. 

How does anyone have time to work, have healthy relationships, and play so many games? I genuinely thought my game library was vast and varied and diverse but I feel genuinely inadequate compared to some of you folks. 

Who needs 599 games if 550 of them you'll never play or pick up once and never touch again? 

Maybe it's a game they didn't know about or didn't want to buy it, but see it on Game Pass so they give it a whirl and end up loving it. I really don't understand why this is a hard concept to understand. Not everyone has a huge backlog of games, or they end up not caring about finishing most games on their backlog so would rather focus on something else. I mean, there is a reason these games are in someone's backlog.

You say, "how does anyone have time.." It's not about having more time, but where someone focuses that time on. Instead of spending time on my backlog or whatever, I would rather spend it on Game Pass titles instead. 

SKMBlake said:

Let's face it, eventually Game Pass will be like this:

I know it's a meme, but I would love to know your reasoning why or how this will become an issue with Game Pass? Even though the top selling/most played games on all system are always the same franchises like CoD, Fortnite, Minecraft, yearly sports titles, GTAV, etc.? At least Game Pass gives consumers more options of playing unique titles and it's why certain indie titles that launch on the service have much higher engagement than if it didn't.

In my experience when it comes to buying games, I tend to play it safe and buy what I'm familiar with or it has plenty of positive reception for me to look into buy it. With Game Pass, if I see something that looks interesting I can play it without that kind of pressure.