By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What is your opinion on gaming subscription services?

My opinion is best summed up as:

Subscribed to at least one and like it 36 36.36%

Subscribed to at least one and not a fan 6 6.06%

Thinking about subscribing 6 6.06%

Was a subscriber and lapsed 4 4.04%

Will subscribe for big games and then drop 4 4.04%

Zero interest at all 28 28.28%

None of the current subs ... 8 8.08%

Other 7 7.07%

Total:99
smroadkill15 said:
SKMBlake said:

Let's face it, eventually Game Pass will be like this:

I know it's a meme, but I would love to know your reasoning why or how this will become an issue with Game Pass?

I would love to see your reasoning on why donyou think that Game Pass being the best way to play a widely popular game is an issue (cause that's what the meme is mostly about).

Around the Network
SKMBlake said:
smroadkill15 said:

I know it's a meme, but I would love to know your reasoning why or how this will become an issue with Game Pass?

I would love to see your reasoning on why donyou think that Game Pass being the best way to play a widely popular game is an issue (cause that's what the meme is mostly about).

If someone only watches the same show over and over again that is their choice, but far from the reality of how things are. Every time I look at the 10 top watched show/movie on Netflix it's in constant rotation with whatever new stuff is out. If someone plays the same popular game on Game Pass all the time and nothing else, then cool, but the numbers say differently. 

smroadkill15 said:
SKMBlake said:

If someone only watches the same show over and over again that is their choice, but far from the reality of how things are. Every time I look at the 10 top watched show/movie on Netflix it's in constant rotation with whatever new stuff is out. If someone plays the same popular game on Game Pass all the time and nothing else, then cool, but the numbers say differently. 

Well you def cannot put The Office 10 times in a top 10 list, even if it deserves all the spots

SKMBlake said:

Let's face it, eventually Game Pass will be like this:

Change it to Frasier, Seinfeld, Arrested Development, Portlandia, Cheers, or Curb Your Enthusiasm and I might be fine with this ... might be. 

Anything but Friends. 

I have game-pass and absolutely love it I share the sub on my series x and my sons Xbox one s. So many games I always wanted to try but never would have bought I ended up trying and loving. My son now loves Halo because of gamepass and I can honestly say I would never have bought it for him but the master chief collection being on game-pass I and I was looking for fun couch co-op game to play with him after completing Gears 5 hive busters together. Shit even recently I've always wanted to try MLB the show but never bought them but the new game being on game-pass I finally tried it and I have been hooked.

Around the Network

I like those for TVs, but gaming subscriptions are pointless since games are always on sale.

SvennoJ said:
Angelus said:

The only thing you've shown any real example of in this thread is how far out of one's way somebody can go to be condescending towards anyone who disagrees with them.

You somehow managed to go from, and you'll excuse me for paraphrasing, "hey man...can't deny that people who play games via GP are more casual gamers than us real gamers who collect all the things," to "wow....can't believe you people with GP find the time to play SOOO many games! How is it even possible to be such a hardcore gamer that you can get ALL that value out of GP, and still find time to do literally anything else?!" That after coming into this thread in the first place, nose up, going "aw-shucks, it really sucks how it feels like there's all this underlying malice behind this discussion." The fucking irony.

You're not trying to have an intellectually honest argument with anyone about the merits of a subscription service. If you gotta argue up is down, down is up, and hot is cold...you don't care. You're just looking for whatever angle seems convenient to you at any given moment to have a dig at someone who has a different point of view from your own. Get over yourself. At the very least, consider doing yourself the favor of knowing when to quit and exit stage left.

I thought this was a thread about opinions about game pass, not a thread on praising game pass. Any criticism of game pass on its long term outlook and possible effects on future games seem to be very unwanted here, filed under, you simply don't like it. Which happens to be an opinion as well.

Apparently many people like the 'original' content Netflix puts out. There are a few good ones, but imo, most of it is very meh. Definitely not as good as stuff like House, The Mentalist and Pushing Daisies, Boston Legal, Better Late than Never, Dirty Jobs. Mr Robot were.

Anyway, opinions are clear by now, time will tell how it all pans out.

The thread is actually not about Game Pass specifically, but it's been unable to move beyond talking about it because of a select few who want to drive a particular narrative about it because the service offends them greatly for some reason.

There's many other gaming subscription services such as Nintendo Switch Online, PS Now, EA Play, Stadia, etc. that could be discussed but we haven't quite been able to get over portraying Microsoft as the evil corporation trying to create a population of non-"true gamers" that have too many games to play to be functional adults with social lives.

Last edited by Raven - on 13 May 2021

Raven said:
SvennoJ said:

I thought this was a thread about opinions about game pass, not a thread on praising game pass. Any criticism of game pass on its long term outlook and possible effects on future games seem to be very unwanted here, filed under, you simply don't like it. Which happens to be an opinion as well.

Apparently many people like the 'original' content Netflix puts out. There are a few good ones, but imo, most of it is very meh. Definitely not as good as stuff like House, The Mentalist and Pushing Daisies, Boston Legal, Better Late than Never, Dirty Jobs. Mr Robot were.

Anyway, opinions are clear by now, time will tell how it all pans out.

The thread is actually not about Game Pass specifically, but it's been unable to move beyond talking about it because of a select few who want to drive a particular narrative about it because the service offends them greatly for some reason.

There's many other gaming subscription services such as Nintendo Switch Online, PS Now, EA Play, Stadia, etc. that could be discussed but we haven't quite been able to get over portraying Microsoft as the evil corporation trying to create a population of non-"true gamers" that have too many games to play to be functional adults with social lives.

I know, and I've always talked about all gaming subscriptions, it all originally started with ps+ on ps3. Yet the answer mostly is but Gamepass is great!

It's not creating a population of non "true gamers" that have too many games to play etc. It's devaluing games in general, making people more reluctant to pay for games. It will come to ps+ / gold has been a long time excuse to hold off on a purchase.

With 3,287 hours logged on FS2020 according to Steam, I'm a perfectly non functional adult with just one game :p

Anyway it's a thread about opinions, not merits.