By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What is your opinion on gaming subscription services?

My opinion is best summed up as:

Subscribed to at least one and like it 36 36.36%

Subscribed to at least one and not a fan 6 6.06%

Thinking about subscribing 6 6.06%

Was a subscriber and lapsed 4 4.04%

Will subscribe for big games and then drop 4 4.04%

Zero interest at all 28 28.28%

None of the current subs ... 8 8.08%

Other 7 7.07%

Total:99
Conina said:

Fei-Hung said:

Anyone realise Netflix does a lot of bad copy jobs. They have about half a dozen fake Great British Bake Off's, fake Kitchen Nightmares, and a bunch of other filler content.

Right now I mostly use Netflix for Korean series and anime.

I don't care about their bad content.

Still need to find more time for the content I like they are offering:

• After Life
  • Alice in Borderland
  • Altered Carbon
  • Arrested Development
  • Bad Blood
  • Better Call Saul
  • Black Mirror
  • BoJack Horseman
  • Castlevania
  • Chilling Adventures of Sabrina
  • Cobra Kai
  • Dark
  • Dirk Gently's Holistic Agency
  • Disenchantment
  • Fargo
  • Godless
  • Happy
  • Jupiter's Legacy
  • Knightfall
  • Money Heist (La casa de papel)
  • Lemony Snicket
  • Locke & Key
  • Love, Death & Robots
  • Marco Polo
  • Mindhunters
  • Narcos
  • Narcos: Mexico
  • Orange is the New Black
  • Orphan Black
  • Ozark
  • Peaky Blinders
  • Rick and Morty
  • Shadow and Bone
  • Sherlock
  • Sons of Anarchy
  • Star Trek: Discovery
  • Stranger Things
  • Suits
  • The Americans
  • The Blacklist
  • The Crown
  • The Irregulars
  • The Last Kingdom
  • The Punisher
  • The Queen's Gambit
  • The Serpent
  • The Umbrella Academy
  • The Walking Dead
  • The Witcher
  • Tiger King
  • Titans
  • Travelers
  • Vikings

Did you write them all yourself ?

Around the Network

Subscriptions just isn't for me. I only buy AAA games and have spent $0 in total in my gaming life on microtransactions and indie games. This year I'm only interested in Mass effect: legendary edition and Horizon zero dawn 2. Last year I bought Doom eternal, the last of us 2, Sekiro, Jedi: Fallen order and DMC 5 (not sure if all those games were released in 2019). Mostly buy my games on day1.

As you can see none of those games existed on any game subscription that I'm aware on day1.

I'm anti gaming streaming and gaming subscription, both of those services/features will fail in my opinion and I'm not worried a bit about them. Game pass and wow subscription (which I'm currently playing) will face gravity eventually. It just so happens that Microsoft is pushing game pass and Xcloud, because of this xbox fans are so loud about game streaming and game subscription even though they are bad for gaming.

6x master league achiever in starcraft2

Beaten Sigrun on God of war mode

Beaten DOOM ultra-nightmare with NO endless ammo-rune, 2x super shotgun and no decoys on ps4 pro.

1-0 against Grubby in Wc3 frozen throne ladder!!

Games I tried and didnt like and stopped after a couple of hours, saving money in the process as I would probably buy them at some point in the future as I only hear good things about them.
- Ori and the blind forest
- Deliver is the moon
- Resident Evil 7
- Forza Motorsport 7
- Gears of war 2 (couldnt play on 30fps, might change in the future)
- Rainbow Six Siege
- Asseto Corsa
- Hollow Knight
- Yakuza Zero
- Destiny 2 Beyond Light

Played, loved and finished, saving money in the process, although to be fair if I find them for a very small price I might buy the physical edition:
- Halo Series (currently on ODST)
- Gear 1 Ultimate Edition
- Titanfall 2
- The Outer Worlds
- Battlefield 5
- Nier Automata (what a game...)

In my Gamepass list to be played (or not if bad) in the next few months:
- Final Fantasy 12
- Fallout 4
- Alien Isolation
- Dragon Quest 11
- Hellblade
- Gears 4
- Halo 4-5
- Halo Wars 1-2
- Forza Horizon 4
- Prey
- Doom
- And many more

Price paid so far: 50 pounds

Oneeee-Chan!!! said:
Conina said:

These are TV-shows in my Netflix watchlist. Some of them finished, but waiting for the next season(s).

Here are TV-Shows in my Prime Video watchlist:

• American Gods
  • Bosch
  • Carnival Row
  • Fear the Walking Dead
  • Fleabag
  • Future Man
  • Goliath
  • Good Omens
  • Hand of God
  • Homeland
  • Life in Pieces
  • Lucifer
  • Mr. Robot
  • Nos4A2
  • Patriot
  • Supernatural
  • The Boys
  • The Man in the High Castle
  • The Orville
  • The Shannara Chronicles
  • Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan
  • Upload

Conina said:

Fei-Hung said:

Anyone realise Netflix does a lot of bad copy jobs. They have about half a dozen fake Great British Bake Off's, fake Kitchen Nightmares, and a bunch of other filler content.

Right now I mostly use Netflix for Korean series and anime.

• After Life
  • Alice in Borderland
  • Altered Carbon
  • Arrested Development
  • Bad Blood
  • Better Call Saul
  • Black Mirror
  • BoJack Horseman
  • Castlevania
  • Chilling Adventures of Sabrina
  • Cobra Kai
  • Dark
  • Dirk Gently's Holistic Agency
  • Disenchantment
  • Fargo
  • Godless
  • Happy
  • Jupiter's Legacy
  • Knightfall
  • Money Heist (La casa de papel)
  • Lemony Snicket
  • Locke & Key
  • Love, Death & Robots
  • Marco Polo
  • Mindhunters
  • Narcos
  • Narcos: Mexico
  • Orange is the New Black
  • Orphan Black
  • Ozark
  • Peaky Blinders
  • Rick and Morty
  • Shadow and Bone
  • Sherlock
  • Sons of Anarchy
  • Star Trek: Discovery
  • Stranger Things
  • Suits
  • The Americans
  • The Blacklist
  • The Crown
  • The Irregulars
  • The Last Kingdom
  • The Punisher
  • The Queen's Gambit
  • The Serpent
  • The Umbrella Academy
  • The Walking Dead
  • The Witcher
  • Tiger King
  • Titans
  • Travelers
  • Vikings

Conina said:
Oneeee-Chan!!! said:

These are TV-shows in my Netflix watchlist. Some of them finished, but waiting for the next season(s).

Here are TV-Shows in my Prime Video watchlist:

• American Gods
  • Bosch
  • Carnival Row
  • Fear the Walking Dead
  • Fleabag
  • Future Man
  • Goliath
  • Good Omens
  • Hand of God
  • Homeland
  • Life in Pieces
  • Lucifer
  • Mr. Robot
  • Nos4A2
  • Patriot
  • Supernatural
  • The Boys
  • The Man in the High Castle
  • The Orville
  • The Shannara Chronicles
  • Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan
  • Upload

A lot of that is or used to be on tv, exactly proving my point. Now behind different subscription walls. All the new content is copy paste, either copying their own (seasons just repeating the same like Money Heist) or other shows with different actors. Only Black Mirror stands out for being good start to end (not being on TV here afaik)

Around the Network

I think it's a ploy that somehow benefits both service provider and customer, more the prior in the long run I assume. I've never actually crunched any numbers to know but I'm more than sure MS did.
M

My issue is when top executives make statements pertaining to the insignificance of console sales in favor to subscribers.

It sounds more like a cop out (admitting defeat) rather than the truth or at least what should be an objective of theirs.

Insert Coin. Press START. You Died. Continue?

SuperRetroTurbo said:

I think it's a ploy that somehow benefits both service provider and customer, more the prior in the long run I assume. I've never actually crunched any numbers to know but I'm more than sure MS did.
M

My issue is when top executives make statements pertaining to the insignificance of console sales in favor to subscribers.

It sounds more like a cop out (admitting defeat) rather than the truth or at least what should be an objective of theirs.

MS keeps citing the billions of gamers they want to reach with gaming subscriptions. It's all based on long term explosive growth. It's not sustainable within the 'small' pool of console gaming as it is now. Console gamers are insignificant in the pool of people playing games. That's what they mean by the insignificance of console sales in favor of (potential) subscribers. Their objective is to reach the mobile market.

SvennoJ said:

A lot of that is or used to be on tv, exactly proving my point. Now behind different subscription walls.

On streaming services I can watch these TV-episodes (or even whole seasons) when I want to and in my own pace. I can pause them, rewind them, switch between languages (most are better in English, but for some of them I prefer the German localization.

On streaming services I can watch these TV-episodes without commercial breaks and without annoying channel logos.

On streaming services I can watch these TV-episodes in a better image and sound quality... many of the newer series in 4K HDR + Dolby Vision + Dolby Atmos.

How much are you paying for your cable TV per month?  The canadian average is over 50 bucks per month:

https://www.chatelaine.com/living/budgeting/cable-cost-canada-faq/

Last edited by Conina - on 09 May 2021

Runa216 said:
Libara said:

Does it really trigger you that much that you can't stand someone enjoying gamepass and its value?

No, but it clearly triggers you that I don't agree with the majority. Your hypocrisy is mindblowing. 

You've been repeating yourself over and over for the last several pages so you could have the last word on your argument any time someone does agree with the majority. It's obnoxious and sad honestly. 

It's basically time management . Knowing how to arrange ur day to allow for gaming time. It also helps to have a partner that likes to play games. 

I have a partner and I work alot but still manage to find time to play all my gamepass games on series x and games on my ps4 and switch. 

Throughout the week I play the switch as its easier to play in bed. If my partner has night out with her female friends than I jam on series x. 

Either wise i play it every weekend after all the normal house stuff is done. It works really well and I get to play all my gamepass games and I have more than 2tb worth of them. Last year I manage to finish 20 games and most of them were on gamepass. 

Runa216 said:

EnricoPallazzo said:

Subscribed to Gamepass after being with playstation for 20 years. And its amazing.
Not only I save a lot of money but also I can try so many different games that I would otherwise never play, from AAA to indie titles. Its brilliant.

I'm genuinely curious how anyone has time to 'try games I would otherwise never play'. I can't even keep up with the games I own, and I've got dozens of games I know I'll love rotting in my collection that I still can't get to. I know I'll love nioh 2 and Horizon Zero Dawn and FFVII Remake and Mortal Shell and Salt and Sanctuary and Bayonetta and Ghost of Tsushima and South Park the Fractured But Whole/Stick of Truth and the Batman Arkham trilogy and Persona 5 and...so many others I own but haven't gotten around to playing. 

How does anyone have time to work, have healthy relationships, and play so many games? I genuinely thought my game library was vast and varied and diverse but I feel genuinely inadequate compared to some of you folks. 

Who needs 599 games if 550 of them you'll never play or pick up once and never touch again? 

EnricoPallazzo said:

Subscribed to Gamepass after being with playstation for 20 years. And its amazing.
Not only I save a lot of money but also I can try so many different games that I would otherwise never play, from AAA to indie titles. Its brilliant.