By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Is Legacy content/backwards compatibility important for a console's success?

Is legacy content important for a console's success?

Yes, very important. Huge effect on sales 4 5.63%

It is important, noticable effect on sales. 14 19.72%

Not very important, small effect on sales. 38 53.52%

Not important at all, lit... 15 21.13%

Total:71

What do you guys think? Recently there has been a lot of criticism towards Sony & Nintendo for not providing enough legacy or retro game content on their consoles with Nintendo not offering ways to play older games on the Switch and Sony not caring about providing legacy content on PS5. Do you think the lack of backwards compatibility or legacy content may hurt console sales at all?

IMO, I don't think a lack of backwards compatibility or lack of legacy content really impacts console sales at all. Most gamers typically buy a game or console they're interested in within a few months or within the console's lifespan. It's unlikely that someone would suddenly buy a next gen console to play a last gen game since if they were interested enough in that last gen game they probably would've purchased the system well before the next gen console releases. While I'm sure gamers like the backwards compatibility feature, they won't buy a whole system with the main intent being backwards compatibility and it will never be the main selling point. There's also been research done that most gamers barely use backwards compatibility.

Around the Network

Well, given that Microsoft offer the best legacy support and are trailing in third place while Sony and Nintendo with their inferior legacy support are dominating the market...

No, it doesn’t.

With lack of exclusives on either platform, it does make a difference. There will be plenty of games to play with backwards compat with xbox and not so much with ps5 especially if u have played all of ps4 exclusives

In the real world it’s not important at all.

On internet forums like this a subset of users claim lack of BC is the doom of any new console.

Also since the game industry is in what I would think a creative rut and everything seems to get a remaster nowadays it’s even less important with BC.

Around the Network

I don't believe so. It's a nice feature to have when there isn't much out though. Demon souls is the only next-gen game I've played

Not important, when you buy a new console, you want to play new games on it, BC is a nice bonus.

For a console's success? Of course not, the evidence is there. But it's important to a lot of consumers, and it definitely makes you want to invest more in platforms that really honor it. People say you don't get new consoles for old games but will be buying ports and remasters lol

You haven't played every game, there's hidden gems and backlog and it's more than just a nice feature, it's a huge space and time saver and something that gave the PC another edge up. Hopefully Sony and Nintendo catch up to MS in this regard.

Not at all.

It is important, if you don't have any good new games to offer..