By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Is Legacy content/backwards compatibility important for a console's success?

Is legacy content important for a console's success?

Yes, very important. Huge effect on sales 4 5.63%

It is important, noticable effect on sales. 14 19.72%

Not very important, small effect on sales. 38 53.52%

Not important at all, lit... 15 21.13%

Total:71
SKMBlake said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Demon's Souls?  That is legacy content.  People definitely don't want the PS5 for new exclusive games, because it doesn't have any.

I agreed with you until this very point. And then you completly lost it.

A remake is a new game, deal with it.

That remake is not a new game.  Deal with it.

Last edited by The_Liquid_Laser - on 19 April 2021

Around the Network
padib said:
SKMBlake said:

How about you deal with people having a different opinion than yours.

Fact =/= opinion

I don't consider the Series S being a console, but hey, my opinion doesn't matter cause the Series S is a console, that's a fact.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
SKMBlake said:

That remake is not a new game.  Deal with it.

I can't deal with wrong things, sorry.

It's not important for sales and also not important to me. It's a nice bonus, yet beyond starting an old game, play it for 10 minutes for nostalgia sake, I have never sat down to play a BC game from start to finish. Remakes sure, remasters if good enough and actually adding some things. Whether it be remastered assets, extra game play modes or added commentary by the developers.

It has been the same on PC for me. Buy a new GPU, try out some old games to see how much better they look and forget about them again soon after. I usually just feel like I wasted my time re-installing old stuff, so now I just browse my screenshots folder for a bit when the nostalgia itch comes up. Does the trick for me.

Now if I already have the new console, then I'll play the last gen games I was still meaning to play on the new console if possible, cause why not. I would never buy the console to do just that though. And if I'm already into the game on the old console I wouldn't switch over either, too lazy to transfer saves and re-install.

It doesn't affect the sales, because people usually spend more time playing new stuff coming out, but I would say it's a nice bonus to be able to run old games without having to resort to finding an old hardware for that. I like to return to some old games and if one console can play games from older generation, it's definitely a welcome feature.

Around the Network
SKMBlake said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Demon's Souls?  That is legacy content.  People definitely don't want the PS5 for new exclusive games, because it doesn't have any.

No, it's not. Demon's Souls is a game from 2009 with updated graphics.

It's game design, its fundamental DNA is the same as it was over a decade ago. Chucking raytracing on it doesn't make it a new game, just like repainting an old house doesn't make it a new house.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 20 April 2021

It's not important for hardware sales most of the time. Really the only times I can think of where it was a big deal was the PS2, GBC, GBA, DS, and maybe the 3DS.

To me the debate is not whether or not it makes a lot of money or pushes hardware, it's about how essential it is for the industry. I think backwards compatibility should be a huge part of gaming because preservation is important.

I would like to see PS1 and more PS2/PS3 support on PS5. I also hope the Switch 2 is backwards compatible.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 156 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million, then 151 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 48 million (was 60 million, then 67 million, then 57 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

I think its hugely important for me personally. But for the market? It's empirically clear that back compat is not helping microsoft move many extra consoles.

curl-6 said:
SKMBlake said:

No, it's not. Demon's Souls is a game from 2009 with updated graphics.

It's game design, its fundamental DNA is the same as it was over a decade ago. Chucking raytracing on it doesn't make it a new game, just like repainting an old house doesn't make it a new house.

By that definition, CP2077 is a ps2 game :p

But true, new game it is not. New version, let's call it that. Anyway, kinda relieved all the new games are delayed (not extra delayed, just rather late for a new console launch) since ps5 is still not in stock here. That Astrobot game definitely looks fun and miles morales would be good for a week, but indeed then you're on to old games, multi-gen and remakes.

One thing that makes BC more enticing this gen is the SSD. Faster loading is always good.

Does the Switch really lack backwards compatibility? Seems like you can play most of Wii U games on it *ba dum tsss*