By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Is Legacy content/backwards compatibility important for a console's success?

Is legacy content important for a console's success?

Yes, very important. Huge effect on sales 4 5.63%

It is important, noticable effect on sales. 14 19.72%

Not very important, small effect on sales. 38 53.52%

Not important at all, lit... 15 21.13%

Total:71
curl-6 said:
SKMBlake said:

I already explained why Demon's Souls remake was not just about graphics, but let's agree to disagree. It's an $70 PS5 exclusive, and shouldn't be used as an example regarding backward-compatibility.

I read those points but don't concur, so we will definitely have to agree to disagree. I never used it as an example of backwards compatibility though.

I'd say it's more an example of the industry's lack of new ideas and subsequent habit of constantly strip-mining its past because it's easier than making fresh original content.

It's not just the industry, people like to play what they know. If there wasn't a market for remakes and endless sequels, there wouldn't be any. It's not a lack of new ideas, it's more a lack of people accepting or willing to try out new ideas. People simply hate change.

Around the Network

all consoles going forwards should have BC.

JRPGfan said:

all consoles going forwards should have BC.

With how streamlined the architecture is getting, they really should.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

I thought this discussion was about backwards compatibility? Remakes/remasters/ports are separate topic in my opinion. To me backwards compatibility is about taking the same exact disc, or cart (or I guess just digital version these days) and being able to play it in the new console. No additional purchases necessary.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

IcaroRibeiro said:

This whole remakes are new games or not debate are giving me Ship of Theseus paradox vibes 

For me games are about software development much more than gameplay. Saying reausing the gameplay does not make a game new it's like saying a movie remake with the exaclty same screenplay is not a new movie. Like, can we really say Lion King and Lion King lice action are the same movie only with a different animation technique? (Original being 2D cartoonish animation,  remake being a 3D photorelistic motion-captured animation)

Of course no, because just like games aren't mainly about gameplay (but from coding and overall development) movies are more about filming filming and editing. The process seems more important than the actual product. 

Of course, writing the screenplay and the elaborating a gameplay obviously counts in as part of the process but you can reuse them and integrate as part of a new development cycle

Keeping the same energy, from a software standpoint as long the game developed source code, assets and models are mostly original then it counts as a new game

When I release a patch of an old system, I'm still working using the source of the original system. Even if it comes to a point the source code now it's not even 10% it was originally, still "the same" system, because every iteration was built in the back of an preexisting original software

When I'm creating a brand  new system, even when I reuse identical user-cases and usability in practice what really counts is how my back code is being written. Don't dare me to say I'm developing the same system because technology and methods behind this new software can be completely different even if the user don't perceive it as a new software

Are you a game maker or game player?  It really doesn't matter what the experience of the game maker is.  What matters is the experience of the game player.

In Super Mario All-Stars (SNES) the games look completely different from their NES counterparts, because they use a different graphics engine.  They are still the same games, because the mechanics, level design, music, etc... are all the same.  The graphics don't really determine what the game is.  Demon's Souls is in the same situation.

If we are to use your movie analogy, then think of the original Star Wars trilogy.  George Lucas updates the the special effects of the explosions using radically different effects technology and nobody minds.  But when he makes Greedo shoot before Han, then a ton of fans go nuts and complain.  The updated visuals did not change the experience, but changing one little story detail did. 

For a movie, the story is the real experience.  For games, the gameplay is the real experience.  If nothing about the gameplay changes, then it's the same game regardless of how it is remade.

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Are you a game maker or game player?  It really doesn't matter what the experience of the game maker is.  What matters is the experience of the game player.

If I answer I am you will accept my point?

Regardless. The game maker has the edge defining what their work is. It's hard to believe you say two games that sometimes doesn't share the source code, the developers who worked behind that code and the technology used in the proccess are the same thing

Yes, the player should feel the games are the same or at least extremely similar to each other, that's the point of making a remake (unless the remake purposely wants to cause disruption, like telling another story). You create a remake so the player can have an enhanced experience of something that already exist, but those are still different works

Perhaps, my favorite analogy should be...When Taylor Swift released the re-recorded version of her Fearless album last week she recorded the same lyrics and mostly the same instrumentals only with some new songs, but the key here is "re-recorded". The lyrics and production are mostly the similar, but they was singing it whole again, the musicians behind the recording went to studio again so they could recreate all melodies. In all, it's a new album with the same lyrics and similar instrumental. For the consumer it feels mostly the same, sure I agree, but that's what she wanted to do. Doesn't mean what define a musical record is exaclty the RECORDING (just like in movies is the filming), she recorded everything again and even added new songs, this makes me see this as indeed a new album

That's why I also see live versions of albums as different albums even if all their songs are just re-recorded versions of an already existing work

But of course, we can just agree to disagree 

I don't know if it makes a huge difference in sales, but I definitely appreciate backwards compatibility. There are plenty of people who are into retro gaming as well, so having strong backwards compatibility certainly won't hurt a consoles sales.

I keep my old systems so backwards compatibility has zero value to me.

If I wanna play a PS3 game, I'll play it on my PS3, if I wanna play a Wii U game I'll play it on my Wii U.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 20 April 2021

The_Liquid_Laser said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

This whole remakes are new games or not debate are giving me Ship of Theseus paradox vibes 

For me games are about software development much more than gameplay. Saying reausing the gameplay does not make a game new it's like saying a movie remake with the exaclty same screenplay is not a new movie. Like, can we really say Lion King and Lion King lice action are the same movie only with a different animation technique? (Original being 2D cartoonish animation,  remake being a 3D photorelistic motion-captured animation)

Of course no, because just like games aren't mainly about gameplay (but from coding and overall development) movies are more about filming filming and editing. The process seems more important than the actual product. 

Of course, writing the screenplay and the elaborating a gameplay obviously counts in as part of the process but you can reuse them and integrate as part of a new development cycle

Keeping the same energy, from a software standpoint as long the game developed source code, assets and models are mostly original then it counts as a new game

When I release a patch of an old system, I'm still working using the source of the original system. Even if it comes to a point the source code now it's not even 10% it was originally, still "the same" system, because every iteration was built in the back of an preexisting original software

When I'm creating a brand  new system, even when I reuse identical user-cases and usability in practice what really counts is how my back code is being written. Don't dare me to say I'm developing the same system because technology and methods behind this new software can be completely different even if the user don't perceive it as a new software

In Super Mario All-Stars (SNES) the games look completely different from their NES counterparts, because they use a different graphics engine.  They are still the same games, because the mechanics, level design, music, etc... are all the same.  The graphics don't really determine what the game is.  Demon's Souls is in the same situation.

If we are to use your movie analogy, then think of the original Star Wars trilogy.  George Lucas updates the the special effects of the explosions using radically different effects technology and nobody minds.  But when he makes Greedo shoot before Han, then a ton of fans go nuts and complain.  The updated visuals did not change the experience, but changing one little story detail did. 

For a movie, the story is the real experience.  For games, the gameplay is the real experience.  If nothing about the gameplay changes, then it's the same game regardless of how it is remade.

This is not true. Graphics are an important part of a videogame experience. They can make two games, with same gameplay and story, two different experiences. That is why playing Super Mario Bros on the NES and playing Super Mario Bros in All-stars are two different experiences, that is why there is a distinction between a remaster and a remake. A remaster is mostly the same experience as the original while a remake gives a new experience based on the original, which of course can be achieved by a completely different graphic presentation.

Not much over the long-term, but yeah it is kinda important. Especially more so at the start of the gen

I wonder if the PS5 and Xbox Series would still be selling out at this rate if they weren't backwards compatible. Because there are barely any new next-gen games releasing right now. Odds are the average next-gen owner is playing Destiny 2 or Grand Theft Auto Online on their new console.

This generation in particular, legacy content will be probably be the most important for the first 2 or so years than for any previous generation ever. With a good chunk of 2021 games getting delayed to 2022 due to global pandemic, you bet legacy content will be important.

Last edited by hiccupthehuman - on 21 April 2021