By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Is Legacy content/backwards compatibility important for a console's success?

Is legacy content important for a console's success?

Yes, very important. Huge effect on sales 4 5.63%

It is important, noticable effect on sales. 14 19.72%

Not very important, small effect on sales. 38 53.52%

Not important at all, lit... 15 21.13%

Total:71
curl-6 said:

Saying Smash Ultimate is a port of Smash U is like saying Brawl is just a port of Melee, or Bayonetta 2 is a port of Bayonetta 1. It's an iterative sequel in the standard industry sense.

right? Like...there's a whole spectrum of 'original' vs 'iterative' vs 'port' vs 'remake'. Every time you turn around there's some new game that questions the pre-established definitions of what each thing is. What's a remake? what's a port? what's a sequel? what's a remaster? what's a demake? what's iterative? What's simply enhanced? What is Mario Kart 8 Deluxe? 

the creators don't even consider the WiiU and 3DS games to be the same despite them having the same rosters and a LOT of overlapping game modes and features. How is Ultimate, with entirely new modes and characters and content and stages a port? So it carried over a lot of the same characters and stages of the prior games....that's how fighting games (And racing games and sports games) work. The things that separate them are all the tweaks to the gameplay, the changes to the characters, the new content, the subtle fixes and alterations to the existing content, the upgraded graphics and performance, etc. 

People are too hung up on the exact precise definition of words and terminology. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

Saying Smash Ultimate is a port of Smash U is like saying Brawl is just a port of Melee, or Bayonetta 2 is a port of Bayonetta 1. It's an iterative sequel in the standard industry sense.

I agree with you but god dam does EA Sports like to take the piss out it. Dint they even forget to increase the number of a fifa once? 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

SKMBlake said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Sounds like the same melody to me.  It doesn't matter that they recorded it again.

So when you hear this

Does suddenly make the game turn into Super Mario 64 ?

It would if all of the levels and game mechanics are also the same (on top of the other similarities both games have since they are both 3D Mario games).  In Super Mario All Stars there is a lot more than just music that is the same.  Almost everything is the same.  Really only the graphics are different.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

I skipped a lot of systems.  Do I really need to mention every one?  If you want to look at the PS4 though, it has a crapload of legacy content.  The best selling game on the PS4 is actually a PS3 game.

Thing though is, there is a difference between BC and legacy content.

And the same argument can't be made for both. One is saying "Is it important to have as big a library as possible?" ad the other is saying "Can your new-gen console play your previous console's games"?

Legacy content is important because having more games to play is always a good thing. BC is not that important because there are other ways to play games from a previous generation... this is why I cited the PS4. It does not have "BC". But still went onto be one f the best-selling consoles of all time.

I do believe that as DDbecomesmore relevant BC would also become very important though. Actually, make that become absolutely essential.

padib said:
Runa216 said:

So your reality is that of delusion, then? I mean, I can believe a tangerine is an orange all I want, that doesn't make it a fact. 

This argument of whether or not smash Ultimate is a port or a new game is stupid. you are wrong. Period. End of discussion. subjective opinions do not supercede objective facts. How is this still an argument? How are people so wrong so consistently? How are people still in denial/delusion over something so trivial? 

I just don't get how or why you cling to this, then try to mask your ignorance as an opinion. that's not how this works, dude. 

Yes my reality is a delusion and you are the master of truth. May Jesus Christ bless you for being so understanding and respectful of my point of view.

I am 100% certain that this particularly personable approach works well for you in life, and encourage you to carry on!

Why are you still acting like Smash Ultimate being a new game or not is an opinionated matter based off of perspective. This is not an opinionated matter, its fact that Smash Ultimate is a new game. It is not an opinion that should be accepted cause you're opinion is factually wrong. You could say Smash is not a new game all you want but the point is you'll always be wrong, so your perspective on Smash Ultimate holds zero weight when it comes to an argument based on facts.

Last edited by javi741 - on 26 April 2021

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:

4) Switch.  Backwards compatible?  No.  Legacy content?  Lots of it.  The best selling game on the Switch is a Wii U game.  One reason why the Switch did so well out of the gate is because they could port over a lot of the Wii U titles.  That made the Switch's library pretty good even from the first year, because most people never played those Wii U titles.  The Switch also has a bunch of old NES/SNES games included with it's online service.

I bought a Switch because of its native games. I love legacy content like the S/NES online stuff but it's not the reason I bought the system.

SnesTea said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

4) Switch.  Backwards compatible?  No.  Legacy content?  Lots of it.  The best selling game on the Switch is a Wii U game.  One reason why the Switch did so well out of the gate is because they could port over a lot of the Wii U titles.  That made the Switch's library pretty good even from the first year, because most people never played those Wii U titles.  The Switch also has a bunch of old NES/SNES games included with it's online service.

I bought a Switch because of its native games. I love legacy content like the S/NES online stuff but it's not the reason I bought the system.

I am in this boat.  I didn't buy the Switch for Mario Kart 8 either, because I played it plenty of times on the Wii U.  In spite of this Mario Kart 8 is the best selling game on the Switch.  Lots of people never played Mario Kart 8 on the Wii U, so it is valuable as a Switch game. 

For that matter some Switch owners never played the S/NES games that are available either.  Not every Switch owner is like you or me.  These older games are still fun games even today and for some people they are like brand new because they haven't played them before.  The Switch wouldn't have nearly as much first party content without Wii U ports like Mario Kart 8 or the S/NES games.  

SnesTea said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Me too, and I honestly feel like so far Switch is slightly disappointing in terms of high quality original content.

Yeah, games like Mario Odyssey and Monster Hunter Rise are amazing, and it's nice to be able to play PS4/Xbone games like Doom 2016/Eternal and Witcher 3, but I do feel like so far it has one of Nintendo's weaker lineups of new first party content, below even Wii U I'd say. Hopefully that changes throughout the rest of its life.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 25 April 2021

One thing I forgot to say: I play the legacy content more than the games I bought for it Q_Q

Yep, for sure. Wouldn't buy a console if it doesn't have at least SOME backwards compatibility.