By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Is Legacy content/backwards compatibility important for a console's success?

Is legacy content important for a console's success?

Yes, very important. Huge effect on sales 4 5.63%

It is important, noticable effect on sales. 14 19.72%

Not very important, small effect on sales. 38 53.52%

Not important at all, lit... 15 21.13%

Total:71

Although he is a supporter of the new, but still, I want something not to change.

Around the Network

*Looks at Switch*... I guess not very.

No

Wii U was backwards compatible and allowed for virtual title transfer

Switch isn't backwards compatible and virtual titles don't exist

Clearly BC means next to nothing regarding sales, though I personally like it.

Not at all. Sony removed it from the PS3 because they did a study that showed not as many people care for it, and it showed because PS4 killed it, and Switch is killing it too. It's only the small people on the internet that act big thinks backwards compatibility is a deal breaker.

I would love backwards compatibly as anybody else but if they choose not to then it is what it is.

If anything, be worried about any company that brags or heavily markets backwards compatibility because to me that sounds like you know very well your new console is/will lack new games so you're relying on your old games to be significant.

Around the Network

Backwards compatibility and legacy content are really important.  The most important things for selling a system are game library and price.  That old content is a real easy way to beef up a game library.  If the system is backwards compatible, then it becomes an attractive system right out of the gate.  Let's look at some evidence.

1) The PS2.  It inherited the PS1's library, which is extremely impressive.  If you add the PS1 and PS2 game libraries together you get over 8000 games.  The PS2 is Sony's most successful system and the best selling game console of all time.   

2) The Wii.  The SNES, N64 and Gamecube lacked backwards compatibility.  Then the Wii comes along.  It's both backwards compatible with the Gamecube and it also has a ton of old games on the Virtual Console.  People like to point out Nintendo's decline in the home market NES > SNES > N64 >GCN.  The the Wii comes along and turns that all around.  One huge feature of the Wii was all of that old content.

3) Nintendo handhelds.  Nintendo has never been defeated in the handheld market. GBA, DS, and 3DS were all backwards compatible.

4) Switch.  Backwards compatible?  No.  Legacy content?  Lots of it.  The best selling game on the Switch is a Wii U game.  One reason why the Switch did so well out of the gate is because they could port over a lot of the Wii U titles.  That made the Switch's library pretty good even from the first year, because most people never played those Wii U titles.  The Switch also has a bunch of old NES/SNES games included with it's online service.

5) XBox1.  This system is a total turd.  If you take away the backwards compatibility then there is almost no reason to buy this system.  Personally, I've never owned any XBox, but I am seriously giving consideration for the XB1 just because of backwards compatibility.  It's the XB1's main selling point.

6) PS5.  The PS5 has backwards compatibility and it's still sold out.  What new games does the PS5 have?  None.  Demon's Souls?  That is legacy content.  People definitely don't want the PS5 for new exclusive games, because it doesn't have any.

7) Sega Saturn, N64, Gamecube, PS3, PS Vita.  All of these systems lacked backwards compatibility and sold disappointingly compared to their predecessor.  It's clear that all of these systems made some pretty big mistakes, but then again, so did the XB1, and it managed to salvage most of it's Gen 7 market in spite of being about as good as a Saturn or Vita on it's own merits.

In short, legacy content matters a lot.  It's an easy way to beef up a system's library.  On top of that the easiest way to include legacy content on a system is simply to make it backwards compatible.

It is important to a small number of forum dwellers. Just the very most dedicated to the hobby. It seems like the audience in general doesn't care for it at all.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

The answer for this question is: No, it is not.
That's it, we are done.

/thread.

Probably not a big deal for sales. Personally, I do find it a big deal, but I'm not representative of the market as a whole.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

Demon's Souls?  That is legacy content.  People definitely don't want the PS5 for new exclusive games, because it doesn't have any.

I agreed with you until this very point. And then you completly lost it.

A remake is a new game, deal with it.