By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 7th gen vs 8th gen

I think the better gen was...

Wii/PS3/360/PSP/DS 64 62.75%

Wii U/PS4/Xbone/Vita/3DS 38 37.25%

Total:102

For the purpose of this thread, this comparison is officially Wii/PS3/360/PSP/DS vs Wii U/PS4/Xbone/Vita/3DS.

Please no derailing, if you want to discuss which generation systems fall into, please make your own thread.

With that out the way, which do you think was better, and why?

Around the Network

7th gen no contest for me.

Here's why. Lets look at one company... Rockstar!

During the 7th gen, here are the games they made.

- Grand Theft Auto IV
+ 2 Story DLC: Grand Theft Auto IV: The Lost and Damned and Grand Theft Auto: The Ballad of Gay Tony
- Midnight Club: Los Angeles
- Red Dead Redemption
- L.A. Noire
- Max Payne 3
- Grand Theft Auto V
- Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars 

Meanwhile during 8th gen...

- Remastered Grand Theft Auto V
- Remastered L.A. Noire 
- Red Dead Redemption 2

I could list many other companies where this happened but there is no point. 8th gen was not even close imo.

Last edited by Jizz_Beard_thePirate - on 15 April 2021

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

8th

7th gen was my least favorite gen

This is kinda hard for me. I have many fond RPGs from both eras. The PS3 started rough, but ended up pretty strong. The PS4 hit the floor running and has been strong right up to the release of the PS5.

The PS4 to me continued the refinement of the PS3 in many ways.

I have an X360/XBONE, but honestly neither saw much use beyond Halo. I have a Wii, but the motion controls never caught on for me. I never got the Wii U.

I'll vote 8th gen because all in all, I find the PS4 a refined version of the PS3, which I love.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

8th generation a lot of the best games from the 7th generation got remastered or rereleased for the 8th generation anyway and most of the good 360 games are playable on the X1 and X series S and X via backwards compatibility.

Around the Network

I feel like 8th gen had more games, but 7th gen had some of my favorite titles.

- Dead Space trilogy
- Super Smash Bros. Brawl
- Mario games
- Sonic games
- Resident Evil 6
- Alan Wake
- Call of Duty games

8th gen had some great games as well, but I think I had more fun with 7th gen.

7th gen. Wii U had some truly great titles, but not enough to make it push then over the edge into a win.

6th gen > 7th gen > 8th gen

6th had 4 great SSX games, 7th had one mediocre and 8th had none. It had Steep but that game is so bland and boring, I rather visit a dentist than play it.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

I initially chose 8th gen, not thinking this would include handhelds. But you know what? When you include handhelds thee 7th gen is pretty amazing.  In hindsight the 7th gen consoles worth owning were PS3/Wii/DS/PSP. In hindsight 8th Gen consoles worth owning were PS4/3DS.

During their heyday Wii U and 360 were also worth owning. But after years to look back, it's obvious that the PS3 was the better choice thanks to the RRoD issue effecting 50% of all 1st model 360's. As for Wii U, anybody with a Switch these days can see why it wasn't worth owning.

Bloodborne, Souls 3 and Breath of the Wild hands down win this one.