By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 7th gen vs 8th gen

I think the better gen was...

Wii/PS3/360/PSP/DS 64 62.75%

Wii U/PS4/Xbone/Vita/3DS 38 37.25%

Total:102

I was mostly cool with the Wii Remote but it kept me from ever beating Zack and Wiki. I kept getting to the part at (or near) the end and it couldn't register movement during the sword fight. I quit out of frustration and never went back.

And back on the subject of VR, I wish there was an option for EVERY game to have a VR option and maybe even stream to a VR headset like Oculus Quest.

Around the Network
d21lewis said:

I was mostly cool with the Wii Remote but it kept me from ever beating Zack and Wiki. I kept getting to the part at (or near) the end and it couldn't register movement during the sword fight. I quit out of frustration and never went back.

And back on the subject of VR, I wish there was an option for EVERY game to have a VR option and maybe even stream to a VR headset like Oculus Quest.

I know that part, exact same thing here, never finished it.

And yep, next to 120fps mode, 60fps quality mode, 60fps locked mode, rt mode, 4K mode, a VR mode would be more appreciated! The problem is screen space effect layers that aren't made for 3D viewing, but I'll take a few flat sprites to get the rest in VR.

Motion controls was actually one of my favourite things about the 7th gen.

Sure, they weren't always well implemented, but when they were they added such a great tactile oomph to in-game actions or allowed for more immersion and better aiming. For me it felt like the biggest step forwards for gaming since the jump to 3D.

If the Wii had just used the Pro controller and had no motion controls at all, it would still be a great machine on the strength of games like Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, Monster Hunter Tri, Xenoblade Chronicles, etc, but I don't think I would love it as much as I do.

I'm deeply thankful that motion controls live on via the Switch.

It also gave the generation such diversity in that Nintendo and Sony/MS were doing such totally different things that complemented each other really well.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 13 May 2021