By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 7th gen vs 8th gen

I think the better gen was...

Wii/PS3/360/PSP/DS 64 62.75%

Wii U/PS4/Xbone/Vita/3DS 38 37.25%

Total:102

8th - played mainly in them. I don't want to say anything bad about the 7th - many of my friends grew up on PSP, but I'm more inclined towards a newer generation

Around the Network

Less DRM, just about no lootboxes, better home console Nintendo games, and a bigger selection of Microsoft exclusives made me pick Gen 7. I do have a lot more experience with Gen 8 though, and I do prefer the 3DS to the DS.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Valdney said:

I never had a 360, but it had its gems too. Despite the 3 rings of death it was a very good system too, with great software.

If you enjoyed the 7th gen as a whole I'd definitely recommend checking out 360's games even today, either through backwards compatibility on a newer Xbox or just getting a 360 slim dirt cheap.

Gears of War 1/2/3/Judgement, Halo 3/4/Reach, Witcher 2, Alan Wake, and Splinter Cell Conviction are all well worth playing. Forza 3/4/Horizon too if you enjoy racing games or just love cars.

If the only console in the 7th gen was the Xbox 360 it would still be the best gen ever.

If the only console in the 7th gen was the PS3 it would still be the best gen ever.

Because games. Not to mention that games HAD to work upon release. 8th gen allowed unfinished games to be released with mandatory day 1 patches in some cases.

Azzanation said:

Im curious to know those who think the 8th gen is better than the 7th gen.

It's me.

Around the Network
Oneeee-Chan!!! said:
Azzanation said:

Im curious to know those who think the 8th gen is better than the 7th gen.

It's me.

Why?

Azzanation said:
Oneeee-Chan!!! said:

It's me.

Why?

I can answer that, posted it earlier in the thread as well.

1. PSVR, made me feel like a kid again. Hundreds of little gems to play and many unforgettable experiences. Motion controls finally made sense and for a first gen product it exceeded all my expectations. So much I can't play horror games without VR anymore.

2. 7th gen was plagued with brown is realism, 8th gen brought color back to games.

3. 3x RROD, 2x Ylod, 1x Wii Disc drive failure, ps3 controllers all broke, 360 battery packs failed, Wii battery packs failed, horrible gen for HW.

4. Black crush and washed out games, annoying gamma shift on 360, limited/full RGB dilemma on ps3, Wii composite video argh.

7th gen had good games as well, but a lot felt like rehashes in 'HD', well 720p at most. Not great with a 1080p tv, always scaling issues. Text too small to read or outside the 'safe area'. The objectives in Dead rising were not visible on my HD ready tv, outside the visible screen. The text on the phone in GT4 was not readable. Skyrim on ps3, no need to explain that one. Kinect shovel ware, 8th gen rightfully quickly ditched Kinect. Eye toy... It had one sort of fun game.

8th gen had better games imo, Botw, HZD, Death stranding, God of War, Driveclub, GT Sport, Elite Dangerous, Forza Horizon 4, The Witcher 3, RDR2, Alien Isolation, SotC remake, Detroit: Become Human, Spiderman, Streets of Rage 3, Infinifactory, Nex Machina, Dirt Rally, The last Guardian, Life is Strange, Pixeljunk Nom Nom Galaxy, Grim Fandango remastered, Transistor, Child of Light, Infamous 2nd son, Resogun, plus about a hundred PSVR titles.

7th gen is the brown shooter era to me plagued with lots of hardware problems and unwanted upscaling noise. Sure, you can play them all again this gen with better resolution and fps, but all the textures and polygons are still made for 512MB ram, and the brown colors stay as well.

SvennoJ said:
Azzanation said:

Why?

1. PSVR, made me feel like a kid again. Hundreds of little gems to play and many unforgettable experiences. Motion controls finally made sense and for a first gen product it exceeded all my expectations. So much I can't play horror games without VR anymore.

2. 7th gen was plagued with brown is realism, 8th gen brought color back to games.

3. 3x RROD, 2x Ylod, 1x Wii Disc drive failure, ps3 controllers all broke, 360 battery packs failed, Wii battery packs failed, horrible gen for HW.

4. Black crush and washed out games, annoying gamma shift on 360, limited/full RGB dilemma on ps3, Wii composite video argh.

7th gen had good games as well, but a lot felt like rehashes in 'HD', well 720p at most. Not great with a 1080p tv, always scaling issues. Text too small to read or outside the 'safe area'. The objectives in Dead rising were not visible on my HD ready tv, outside the visible screen. The text on the phone in GT4 was not readable. Skyrim on ps3, no need to explain that one. Kinect shovel ware, 8th gen rightfully quickly ditched Kinect. Eye toy... It had one sort of fun game.

8th gen had better games imo, Botw, HZD, Death stranding, God of War, Driveclub, GT Sport, Elite Dangerous, Forza Horizon 4, The Witcher 3, RDR2, Alien Isolation, SotC remake, Detroit: Become Human, Spiderman, Streets of Rage 3, Infinifactory, Nex Machina, Dirt Rally, The last Guardian, Life is Strange, Pixeljunk Nom Nom Galaxy, Grim Fandango remastered, Transistor, Child of Light, Infamous 2nd son, Resogun, plus about a hundred PSVR titles.

7th gen is the brown shooter era to me plagued with lots of hardware problems and unwanted upscaling noise. Sure, you can play them all again this gen with better resolution and fps, but all the textures and polygons are still made for 512MB ram, and the brown colors stay as well.

I am sure the list you mention can easily be bigger however last gen was a different story and let me explain.

Not only were all 3 console makers delivering on all fronts with amazing quality and IPs. 3rd party was also on another level to what we got in the 8th gen.

Major companies like EA brought us trilogy's like Mass Effect and Dead Space etc. 7th gen wasn't flooded with remasters or serviced styled Multiplayer only games like the Battlefront 1 and 2 series.

8th Gen was plagued with many issues that brought bad buisness practices like Pay to Win and gambling mechanics being more common in games, and now PSN and Nintendo now charging for online Multiplayer access and the trend of reselling older games due to the lack of BC.

8th gen was a graphic showcase, that's undoubted, however that seems to be the trend with a lot of games. Less innovation but prettier graphics. Id also argue that BOTW was a last gen game built around the WiiU and delayed to release on the Switch launch.

7th gen was an arm wrestle on who can make great games across all platforms, 8th gen became an arm wrestle on who can deliever great graphics.

I brought VR this gen, i agree its amazing but only for a few games like ALYX other wise i would be happy with out. Though that is just my personal opinion.

Last edited by Azzanation - on 12 May 2021

Azzanation said:
SvennoJ said:

I am sure the list you mention can easily be bigger however last gen was a different story and let me explain.

Not only were all 3 console makers delivering on all fronts with amazing quality and IPs. 3rd party was also on another level to what we got in the 8th gen.

Major companies like EA brought us trilogy's like Mass Effect and Dead Space etc. 7th gen wasn't flooded with remasters or serviced styled Multiplayer only games like the Battlefront 1 and 2 series.

8th Gen was plagued with many issues that brought bad buisness practices like Pay to Win and gambling mechanics being more common in games, and now PSN and Nintendo now charging for online Multiplayer access and the trend of reselling older games due to the lack of BC.

8th gen was a graphic showcase, that's undoubted, however that seems to be the trend with a lot of games. Less innovation but prettier graphics. Id also argue that BOTW was a last gen game built around the WiiU and delayed to release on the Switch launch.

7th gen was an arm wrestle on who can make great games across all platforms, 8th gen became an arm wrestle on who can deliever great graphics.

I brought VR this gen, i agree its amazing but only for a few games like ALYX other wise i would be happy with out. Though that is just my personal opinion.

VR alone made 8th gen better. I exclusively played VR games for a year and a half, went through 2 headsets, loved most of the experimental titles. Too many great games to list.

7th gen started the online pass, mtx, dlc trend, normalizing paying for online. 7th gen was the graphic showcase where HD had to be wrestled in at the cost of many games struggling to get near 30 fps, screen tearing and poor draw distance / pop in.

8th wasn't flooded with remasters yet it had plenty room for remasters to get better running versions of 7th gen games. Probably were a lot of rose tinted views from 7th gen come from. Also 2nd half 7th gen 360 dropped the ball, no more good exclusives and Wii motion controls showed their lack of actual use. Sony struggled to get out of the gates and only got good content in the 2nd half of 7th gen. Mass Effect and Dead Space started good, both crapped out as well. Then you had the PSN hack, over a month no online and who knows where your credentials ended up.

Imo 8th gen had more original content, but that's heavily influenced by all the experimental titles on PSVR. 8th gen had better hardware, wasn't struggling with memory all generation long and got rid of screen tearing and upscaling artifacts. Online finally just worked (so many connection issues in 7th gen, nat type incompatible, sound issues on 360, no mic on ps3) as well as much more responsive UIs.

PS3 was better than PS4, it had both so many exclusives and hidden gems, but it's close.